The Cadets 2019

29 minutes ago, Guardguy89 said:

I think the guard issues also had to do with how other corps started using guards - they became integral parts of the story and were used / staged accordingly.

I always felt that Cadets just kept the same formula that worked for them in the '90's  where weapons were up front, flags in the back and weren't fully integrated to the theme / corps drill.

They almost seemed like an afterthought - the entire "Awakening" show should have been a guard heavy concept - but it fell flat.

That said, I do think the guard program is headed in the right direction and that last year and this year - the guard as a whole are much improved - but still lack in total integration

Later,

Mike

I thought back-flip tap-dancing Jesus was integrated.  :laughing:

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Daave said:

and spray paint stone boy...and Geoffrey....

2 hours ago, chris ncsu said:

Guard has had some bright spots in the 2000s, but few and far between. After 2005, I'm thinking 2009, 2011, with honorable mentions to 2007 and 2014, but none of these after 2005 are up there with the great Cadets guards of the 1990s.

The guard in 2014 was really solid 

45 minutes ago, Daave said:

I just threw up in my mouth a little 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Guardguy89 said:

I think the guard issues also had to do with how other corps started using guards - they became integral parts of the story and were used / staged accordingly.

I always felt that Cadets just kept the same formula that worked for them in the '90's  where weapons were up front, flags in the back and weren't fully integrated to the theme / corps drill.

They almost seemed like an afterthought - the entire "Awakening" show should have been a guard heavy concept - but it fell flat.

That said, I do think the guard program is headed in the right direction and that last year and this year - the guard as a whole are much improved - but still lack in total integration

Later,

Mike

Good to hear your take on it - I know you are very knowledgeable about the caption 

I’m glad to hear you see some progress! 

1 hour ago, Jeff Ream said:

and spray paint stone boy...and Geoffrey....

I gotta hand it to the lad who said “yes I can play Geoffrey!”  He really sold it, there’s no denying that.

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, HockeyDad said:

I gotta hand it to the lad who said “yes I can play Geoffrey!”  He really sold it, there’s no denying that.

He really did. Fortunately for Cadets - even now - they get great recruits who want to work hard and be a Cadet. 

On 7/28/2019 at 5:30 PM, George Dixon said:

it doesn't look clean at all - not even sure if they are trying for clean - maybe it's meant as a scatter/freeform

I hate it.

Anything such as you describe even at the HS Level is a visual kiss of death. Sends a message the Drill designers didn't have an answer as to how to transition forms from a certain set to another.