The Cadets 2019

13 minutes ago, MikeRapp said:

Imho there are too many corps trying to do what BD and Bluecoats do, but don’t have the depth of talent, money, or design chops to do it well. I’m ok with rolling around, growling, dancing and they stuff but not at the expense of being good at music. 

When corps have brass players playing less in a show than they are doing the other stuff, and getting top ten scores in brass, that strikes me as jumping the Proverbial shark.

We seem to have gone from marching while playing, to standing still while playing, to marching or moving props and not playing. Were I a trumpet player good enough to march in a World class corps, I would want to spend most of my time playing music.

um - they actually play a similar amount to the top six average

that said - I agree the snarling and growling and rolling around is way overdone 

the musicians deserve MUSIC

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, MikeRapp said:

Imho there are too many corps trying to do what BD and Bluecoats do, but don’t have the depth of talent, money, or design chops to do it well. I’m ok with rolling around, growling, dancing and they stuff but not at the expense of being good at music. 

Growling made me LOL so thanks for that!  Also, to pile on a bit, when the brass players ARE actually playing, they are doing the stupid completely out of context body contortions, bending, squatting, tipping side to side, rotating their feet, and so on. It’s actually embarrassing to look at. All in the name of the “simultaneous demand.”  Jumped the shark is so true. 

Edit - this is a commentary on dci as a whole, not just Cadets. 

Edited by HockeyDad
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

3 hours ago, George Dixon said:

um - they actually play a similar amount to the top six average

that said - I agree the snarling and growling and rolling around is way overdone 

the musicians deserve MUSIC

I wasn’t speaking about Cadets specifically. Sorry about that, this is the Cadets thread.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tony L. said:

The lack of playing is very obvious, especially as an ensemble, when the complete show is performed as a standstill.  That is when you can really see who plays and when.

Ouch. That is really painful to think about.

7 minutes ago, Tony L. said:

And it is not just a Cadets thing.  I would have been horrible in this environment.  I could never could keep track of that many measures of doing nothing!

You've never played cymbals in a symphony orchestra, have you?  😁

• Haha 5

4 hours ago, Eleran said:

45 minutes about "design" and they barely mentioned music at all. 

Great interview. It's clear that the design team cares deeply and is invested in this drum corps - never doubted that. But I had the same observation regarding music after listening to the interview. Was the only reason they selected "Do Better" because of the meaning of those 2 words and the fact that you could shape a percussion feature out of it? In this instance, I think they likely tried too hard with regards to theme, props, weapons, etc. I've been following them all season rather closely and very few of the design element they mentioned were very apparent to me without explanation (except for the XY references perhaps). 

Regardless, I'm excited to see what championship week has in store for this corps. 

• Confused 1

31 minutes ago, KRtrumpet182 said:

Great interview. It's clear that the design team cares deeply and is invested in this drum corps - never doubted that. But I had the same observation regarding music after listening to the interview. Was the only reason they selected "Do Better" because of the meaning of those 2 words and the fact that you could shape a percussion feature out of it? In this instance, I think they likely tried too hard with regards to theme, props, weapons, etc. I've been following them all season rather closely and very few of the design element they mentioned were very apparent to me without explanation (except for the XY references perhaps). 

Regardless, I'm excited to see what championship week has in store for this corps. 

To be clear, Do Better's an original, so they created it around those words, rather than selecting a piece that already existed because of those words.