The Cadets 2019

2 hours ago, KRtrumpet182 said:

Great interview. It's clear that the design team cares deeply and is invested in this drum corps - never doubted that. But I had the same observation regarding music after listening to the interview. Was the only reason they selected "Do Better" because of the meaning of those 2 words and the fact that you could shape a percussion feature out of it? In this instance, I think they likely tried too hard with regards to theme, props, weapons, etc. I've been following them all season rather closely and very few of the design element they mentioned were very apparent to me without explanation (except for the XY references perhaps). 

Regardless, I'm excited to see what championship week has in store for this corps. 

my reaction to the interview was the exact opposite 

it sounded like people quite invested in their "vision" and clueless about how horrific the "vision" is

honestly I think the interviewer was punking them 

Edited by George Dixon
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, garfield said:

Here's another opinion that came to me recently from a retired band director and current judge:  "Two major points: 1: If you have to explain your show, you need a new one. 2. Complete  a full melodic line with an understandable phrase ending.... other than a major triad Fermata." 

Add a third to those two very thoughtful points:

While a program should be understandable without explanation...it shouldn't condescend and pander, treating the viewer as some idiot that has to be spoon fed.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, BigW said:

Add a third to those two very thoughtful points:

While a program should be understandable without explanation...it shouldn't condescend and pander, treating the viewer as some idiot that has to be spoon fed.

I would also add that you walk a very fine line when you are trying to convey a message that requires the recipient to evaluate herself and change their ways. Not saying it’s not possible to win doing that but it is a very thin margin.

10 minutes ago, dans said:

Good luck to the Cadets today! Although this season has been extremely disappointing, I congratulate the members for sticking with it and never giving up.

Indeed!

Cadets' performance from Allentown (as seen on Flo) was outstanding.  Discounting the many staff-created design failures, the improvement of performer execution was more than obvious. Moved and played like champions !   Confident, controlled and unwavering in purpose.  Very proud of them.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Fred Windish said:

Indeed!

Cadets' performance from Allentown (as seen on Flo) was outstanding.  Discounting the many staff-created design failures, the improvement of performer execution was more than obvious. Moved and played like champions !   Confident, controlled and unwavering in purpose.  Very proud of them.

You are correct Sir. I attended DCI East and the Cadets were much improved. Very proud of that performance from the members!

• Like 1