The Cadets 2019

On 4/18/2019 at 2:40 PM, George Dixon said:

but mostly excited (even a little anxious) to see what they come up with as a show design with the shackles off!

This is what I'm most looking forward to out of the Cadets this season. Even if they drop in placement, I still think 2018 was what needed to happen in Allentown. Their future will be brighter regardless of placement. Sometimes a corps has to drop a few places to rise further in the long run. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, George Dixon said:

2011 wasn’t a strong Cadets corps 

Cadets have never been the corps with all world talent. They have however been the corps with the best work ethic.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, GUARDLING said:

strong enough....given another week who knows.....but there wasn't another week soooooooooooooo

It's not just about 1 thing, even strong talent. There have been many many units all over this activity that did amazing things, even some with less talent collectively 

Exactly. That year they had the benefit of a show that worked from the first day, with smart changes through the season. That show was a GE juggernaut, it was easy to "get", with all captions performing at medal levels.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

Cadets have never been the corps with all world talent. They have however been the corps with the best work ethic.

Hell, even in 2000, we had a lot of vets, but when we came out the gate in June, we were a complete sh#t show. 

11 minutes ago, 2000Cadet said:

Hell, even in 2000, we had a lot of vets, but when we came out the gate in June, we were a complete sh#t show.

Maybe so.....but what a show and what a season you guys ended up with. Work ethic and belief in what you're putting out there is a secret sauce that a LOT of performers just never quite get the hang of. Combine that with what I saw with 2K Cadets as truly wanting to work the crowd and have them connect to and enjoy what you're doing, and it can be (and was,) pretty #### amazing. 

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

Maybe so.....but what a show and what a season you guys ended up with. Work ethic and belief in what you're putting out there is a secret sauce that a LOT of performers just never quite get the hang of. Combine that with what I saw with 2K Cadets as truly wanting to work the crowd and have them connect to and enjoy what you're doing, and it can be (and was,) pretty #### amazing. 

Hopefully Cadets can have more seasons like that in the near future. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, George Dixon said:

2011 wasn’t a strong Cadets corps 

GE 1st. by +.75

Visual/Guard 2nd. - .20

Music  1st place tie with the BD

Beat the BD by .55 for first.  The adults might have given the mm a great show to perform and a nice gap in GE scores, but the mm had to execute it.  Of the ten captions, they had six firsts, three seconds, and one third.  The second and third place caption gaps added up to only .6 behind the first place corps.  Seems to me G that that corps was pretty strong as has been other corps that didn’t even win.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

I remember walking by the corps in the parking lot as they were getting ready to lineup and march to the gate in 1989. That corps looked like they were made up of 15 and 16 year-olds. I heard later that there were a lot of 17 year-olds in the corps, but they looked even younger to me. Could not believe they took 5th. I thought that was incredible considering their age and, most likely, experience. 

13 hours ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

look at 89...younger corps, and man if they had settled on that ending weeks earlier and could have cleaned it...look the #### out. but man they worked their ##### off

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

look at 89...younger corps, and man if they had settled on that ending weeks earlier and could have cleaned it...look the #### out. but man they worked their ##### off

It was indeed a great corps. It felt odd to me from a show perspective to go from Copeland to Copeland to broadway and then back to Bernstein for some reason but I can't deny the appeal of the show or the work the corps put in. I felt like they were a little better than 5th.