2019 Predictions!

1 hour ago, MikeRapp said:

If there is any one thing I think we will see are more x-large props. Without the stage Mandarins don’t make finals. Blue Stars used massive staging all over the field. Boston doesn’t finish sixth. All three medal winners used massive staging and stages as the central visual themes of their designs. 

Conversely, small stages and staging mostly failed and were arguably unnecessary. I don’t think Cadets’ show was improved with the small stages, and (again) Knights’ too small props proved to be distracting.

I disagree, a lot actually.

I think people are tired of huge props, both audience and judges.

But maybe more important of a factor than size, I think, is color (how flashy they are) and staging.

Coats, Devils, and Spirit, to me had the most annoying and distracting props. Too much, too colorful. Their presence takes the visual focus away from the corps itself.

SCV's on the other hand, were just as big (less of them though), but they served just as stages for the performers and didn't distract from what they were doing. Because they were black/dark grey.

And Crown and BAC both had "props" that weren't really props, but served to set more of a landscape. (Crown's bone jungle, and BAC's "tree" jungle). I think those were both nice touches. They were off to the side and not distracting. They interacted with them a bit, so they weren't just sitting there doing nothing.

I also think awareness on full brassline amplification is on the rise, and I wouldn't be surprised if some regulations make it through this year. (Looser than last year's proposal)

I'm not saying DCI will be going back to a more traditional style, but I do think there's more and more discontent with just a few aspects of this new era, and that some things are going to be scaled back.

• Like 3

Cadets get a new drill writer, brass staff, and program designer and finish in the top 5

The rest of it...ask me in a couple of months :)

6 minutes ago, FlamingMarshmallows said:

I disagree, a lot actually.

I think people are tired of huge props, both audience and judges.

But maybe more important of a factor than size, I think, is color (how flashy they are) and staging.

Coats, Devils, and Spirit, to me had the most annoying and distracting props. Too much, too colorful. Their presence takes the visual focus away from the corps itself.

SCV's on the other hand, were just as big (less of them though), but they served just as stages for the performers and didn't distract from what they were doing. Because they were black/dark grey.

And Crown and BAC both had "props" that weren't really props, but served to set more of a landscape. (Crown's bone jungle, and BAC's "tree" jungle). I think those were both nice touches. They were off to the side and not distracting. They interacted with them a bit, so they weren't just sitting there doing nothing.

I also think awareness on full brassline amplification is on the rise, and I wouldn't be surprised if some regulations make it through this year. (Looser than last year's proposal)

I'm not saying DCI will be going back to a more traditional style, but I do think there's more and more discontent with just a few aspects of this new era, and that some things are going to be scaled back.

I see literally no discontent with the large staging that is now commonplace in dci. I for one don’t find them distracting st all, if they are used right and fit the concept of the show. You can’t do Nighthawks without the massive props they used. Stages are helping make the shows more accessible to the viewing audience, which doesn’t necessarily have the best vantage point.

• Like 4

Way Too Early Prediction

Top Tier
1. Blue Devils - The pattern dictates a BD win.
2. Bluecoats - Another hit.
3. Santa Clara Vanguard - They'll drop like we often see, but it won't be too far down.

Tier 2
4. Boston Crusaders - Came in 6th in '17 fighting 6/7, came in 5th in '18 fighting 5/6, so maybe fighting 4/5 will earn them 4th.
5. Carolina Crown - Will still have the Music caption edge but not quite as large.

Tier 3
6. Cadets - Design will be more concrete, and more talent will come.
7. Cavaliers - Back and forth with Cadets.

Tier 4
8. Blue Knights - Hoping they re-evaluate their visual program. If not then they could go as low as 10.
9. Blue Stars
10. Mandarins - I'm expecting more talent to come. 

Tier 5
11. Spirit
12. Crossmen
13. Phantom Regiment

• Like 4

Way too early for placement guesses for me.  So much of that depends on design and execution that it's impossible for me to say. 

I was watching Crown though and thinking, "Dang, now that they've got the percussion issues solved and the brass is still gunning for the Ott, I bet they get their guard and visual stuff sorted out fast and come out with a design that uses these powerful sections in a much more "Crown story" type way."  They could tear it up next year big time.

Similarly I was watching Cadets and thinking, "Geez they heart and passion of this corps is just huge. I wonder what this creative team is gonna do when they can design a show from the ground up rather than adapt one just before the season?"  I fully expect to see Cadets back in the conversation.

That said, the 'top tier' is getting mighty crowded!  Which means only one thing.  The kids are all gonna get a fantastic experience for the summer and the fans get the feast of watching it all.

• Like 5