2019 Predictions!

12 hours ago, karuna said:

a two show designs are certainly nothing like the avant-guard edginess of Vanguard in the past.  this past year it's full on broadway-on-the-field with performers spending half their time pushing props instead of playing, mic'd up tuba lines, the field compressed to between the 30's and in front of the hash and a very distinct lack of drill.   

You want SCV to return to their ways " of the past " ? They finished 2nd, then 1st the last 2 seasons. Other Corps could learn from SCV ( and BD )... Those who are not medaling  recently comes to mind... lol

Edited by BRASSO

1 minute ago, BRASSO said:

Thats an unfair yardstick if you do not include years where " they do not have same staff". By that yardstick,  Carolina Crown has 1 Title, and most of that staff is gone from that Title winning season and they are a non medalist Corps " at the moment ". So i would not use " most recently " and staff retention neccessarily as the yardstick if yuour quest here is to diminish the accomplishments of the defending champion SCV, while you are simultaneously in other commentary attempting to elevate your favorite Corps, CC.

not diminishing anyone.  just talking about CURRENT corps,  not historical corps from previous centuries.  

22 minutes ago, karuna said:

not diminishing anyone.  just talking about CURRENT corps,  not historical corps from previous centuries.  

Then  SCV 2017 and 2018 seems about " as current " as they come . They finished 2nd, then 1st.  Their Show Design ( and MM execution ) won them a Title as a " CURRENT Corps. Nothing wrong in the least with them " currently ". Corps not medaling as" CURRENT Corps" at the moment ( 2018 ) need to figure out why they arn't. This is not about SCV. Its about what others have to do in 2019  to challenge those currently ahead of them up and down the placement pecking order.

Edited by BRASSO

I predict more predictions coming.

But when, would be pushing it.

19 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

Then  SCV 2017 and 2018 seems about " as current " as they come . They finished 2nd, then 1st.  Their Show Design ( and MM execution ) won them a Title as a " CURRENT Corps. Nothing wrong in the least with them " currently ". Corps not medaling as" CURRENT Corps" at the moment ( 2018 ) need to figure out why they arn't. This is not about SCV. Its about what others have to do in 2019  to challenge those currently ahead of them up and down the placement pecking order.

which is exactly what i said: two years of medaling.  the previous poster was trying (and failing) to conflate SCV's 2 years with BDs 18 years.  AFAICT you're the only person who thought ancient history was relevant in a 2019 prediction thread.  

Edited by karuna

7 hours ago, karuna said:

They were entertaining as hell.  I'm just not sure I like the direction they're heading.  Less props (no brass player joins a corps to be a stagehand.  Occasionally sure it happens.  But there was WAY too much stagehand time for a lot of those performers). Use the whole field.  If you want to mic brass soloists,  plant them on the front sideline with mic stands.  But don't use IEM and wireless mic's to overcome what is otherwise really poor staging.  Getting the right people in the right spot at the right time is a really big part of what makes drum corps such a unique idiom;  brass instruments don't need amps.  The pit -- sure.  Electronics -- ok.  But keep brass acoustic please.  

Man I can nitpick with the best of them, but SCV having “poor staging” is somewhere I won’t go. The soloists etc were placed entirely on purpose and exactly where the designer wanted them placed 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, karuna said:

.  just talking about CURRENT corps,  not historical corps from previous centuries.  

And here I was thinking initially of including the 18th century too, but thought afterwards I'd stay more current for you with this. Oh well.

Edited by BRASSO

13 hours ago, BRASSO said:

You want SCV to return to their ways " of the past " ? They finished 2nd, then 1st the last 2 seasons. Other Corps could learn from SCV ( and BD )... Those who are not medaling  recently comes to mind... lol

Instead of “Full-On Broadway,” Maybe he just wants them to go back to previous winning styles like

A Full Production of Phantom of the Opera with costumes and magic tricks.

Facepalm...

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, George Dixon said:

Man I can nitpick with the best of them, but SCV having “poor staging” is somewhere I won’t go. The soloists etc were placed entirely on purpose and exactly where the designer wanted them placed 

Well sure it was where they should be visually but when you need a mic to hear them,  is that good staging?  Because you're really ignoring where they should be staged.  It's a case of visual design just eliminating musical considerations.

The point I'm making is that if you need  mics on brass instruments because otherwise they can't be heard,  is that really good staging?  They mic'd their tubas for god sakes.  Good staging acoustically meant putting the right instruments in the right place at the right time to make sure they were heard.  Now you can completely ignore that -- just give the brass players mics and IEMs and they can be "anywhere".  Not sure that's really step forward.  But I'm going way off topic.  

Edited by karuna
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Minimaster said:

Instead of “Full-On Broadway,” Maybe he just wants them to go back to previous winning styles like

A Full Production of Phantom of the Opera with costumes and magic tricks.

Facepalm...

:spitting::laughing:

• Like 1