2019 Predictions!

That we will still have more threads on GH than drum corps this summer.

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, PopcornEater1963 said:

This is very cool! Thanks for posting. I wonder if Cavies "swing" would have drawn tighter if it was a 20-year analysis with their run between 2000-2004. :-) 

Leave it to a biased parent to want to "recut" the data. :-) 

It definitely would!  

15 hours ago, trumpetcam said:

Haha. So you do realize they mic'd them so they COULD put them where they wanted and could be heard? Perhaps they wanted the audience to hear multiple lines versus one that's important and the rest are secondary. Mic'ing is not always done to make it easier, but sometimes to ACTUALLY make it more sophisticated. Assuming its always done to make it easier means you definitely haven't listened closely to either of the past two years versions of the SCV music book.

The mic'd tuba parts in 2018 are as intricate as anything else the hornline proper is playing at the end of the show. Unless you stage them on the front sideline (which would make no sense) then mic'ing them was a brilliant way to blend the sound/texture and NOT have to overblow the whole ensemble to do it (like many other groups do). Not every designer in the activity is looking for the easy way to get points, sometimes its about being creative and just a little outside of the box. There is no need to to try and fool the fans and judges  when you clearly have the performers, teachers and design to pull it off. It's a design choice, and its not going away anytime soon. 

Au contraire the mic'ing did make it easier to stage them visually.   The "choice" sacrificed acoustic performance for visual effect.

As for not going away soon, I'm not so sure.  There is a growing movement to limit brass amplification (for a number of different reasons).   I would not be surprised to see limits pass as brass instructors realize that it's just one more way in which visual is taking precedence over music.  Not suggesting that amplification is going away entirely -- just getting some much-needed boundaries.

Edited by karuna

i can't remember if I've posted a prediction yet or not - so my attempt to get the thread back to actual competitive predictions:

1. SCV - I believe they'll repeat / they felt further ahead last season than the score even implied (which was a big gap)

2. Coats - come close but SCV too strong caption-wise

3. BD - no way they'll finish out of the top 3 anytime soon

<< GAP >>

4. Boston - attempts to medal, falls just short - GE caption?

<< GAP >>

5. Crown - music caption keeps them ahead in this close bunch of 3

6. Cadets

7. Cavaliers

<< GAP >> 

8. Blue Knights

9. Phantom Regiment

10. Mandarins 

11. Blue Stars

12. Spirit of Atlanta

<<<>>>

13. Crossmen

14. Madison

15. Colts

16. The Academy

17. Music City

1 hour ago, George Dixon said:

i can't remember if I've posted a prediction yet or not - so my attempt to get the thread back to actual competitive predictions:

1. SCV - I believe they'll repeat / they felt further ahead last season than the score even implied (which was a big gap)

<< GAP >>

<< GAP >>

6. Cadets

7. Cavaliers

<< GAP >> 

8. Blue Knights

9. Phantom Regiment

10. Mandarins 

11. Blue Stars

12. Spirit of Atlanta

<<<>>>

13. Crossmen

14. Madison

15. Colts

16. The Academy

17. Music City

'Seems a balanced, reasonable predictions for Finals Rankings at the point in the preseason, imo. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, George Dixon said:

<< GAP >>

<< GAP >>

6. Cadets

7. Cavaliers

<< GAP >> 

8. Blue Knights

9. Phantom Regiment

10. Mandarins 

11. Blue Stars

12. Spirit of Atlanta

<<<>>>

13. Crossmen

14. Madison

15. Colts

16. The Academy

17. Music City

21 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

'Seems a balanced, reasonable predictions for Finals Rankings at the point in the preseason, imo. 

Brasso beat me to it. This seems as reasonable a prediction as any can be this time of year. 

• Like 1

Winning the GE caption and not medaling would be quite a strange achievement. 

14 minutes ago, KVG_DC said:

Winning the GE caption and not medaling would be quite a strange achievement. 

True.. but I don't believe he was referring to " winning the GE Caption" here, per se ( key word " winning " ).  Thats how I read it anyway. That said, its true, its an important overall caption to do well in, and does go a long way in determining where these Corps finish, up and down,  and throughout the DCI ranks of the Corps each season now..

Edited by BRASSO

15 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

True.. but I don't believe he was referring to " winning the GE Caption" here, per se ( key word " winning " ).  Thats how I read it anyway. That said, its true, its an important overall caption to do well in, and does go a long way in determining where these Corps finish, up and down,  and throughout the DCI ranks of the Corps each season now..

Ah true.  It could be read to mean that the GE caption would be what holds them from medaling. 

• Like 2