2019 Predictions!

On 4/5/2019 at 11:59 AM, queenanne_1536 said:

That's the key and it's a big key. Guard may be more important today than in the past, but it doesn't matter if BAC gets a 20.0 in guard every year. If other captions don't improve they will still likely land in 4th or 5th. Years like 2016, where BD is a threat in all captions are rare, and now SCV might be in that "win all captions" club. I guess we'll see this year if that holds true. So winning one caption and winning it all, Bluecoats 2016, is going to be a very rare feat. That being sad, until I see any indication totherwise, I'm going to assume Boston will improve in all captions. I thought 2018 as a step up from 2019 and they had a really nice show.

Your assumption about Boston improving in other captions may come to be.  I am hearing very good things about them as they are wrapping up their final camp before ST.  The brass line is strong and playing a more difficult show. Percussion has improved as well.  It will undoubtedly be very difficult to move up as the move to medaling requires maximum effort and achievement in all areas of design and execution.  Much more than moving up to 4th.  I can’t wait to see what the top 6 do.  I believe it will be closer than ever.  But I believe Boston will be in the mix.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, LabMaster said:

It will undoubtedly be very difficult to move up as the move to medaling requires maximum effort and achievement in all areas of design and execution.  Much more than moving up to 4th.

Exactly. I would argue moving from 6th to 4th is many times easier than moving from 4th to 3rd.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, queenanne_1536 said:

Exactly. I would argue moving from 6th to 4th is many times easier than moving from 4th to 3rd.

...and taking this one step further, . ie, where it gets the hardest of all.. in today's modern DCI, its really difficult for ANY DCI  Corps in DCI to finish ahead of the Blue Devils 2 years in a row.

Edited by BRASSO

1 hour ago, BRASSO said:

...and taking this one step further, . ie, where it gets the hardest of all.. in today's modern DCI, its really difficult for ANY DCI  Corps in DCI to finish ahead of the Blue Devils 2 years in a row.

History is definitely on your side ... but after last year, I have a feeling things are changing. I think it is time for BD to reinvent themselves, or begin  to slide ...  but I also think it is probable that they will reinvent themselves.

Still, most years I think preseason bets can be placed for BD versus the field for the championship.  This year, for the first time, in the preseason (and before ST) I am picking the field. 

Edited by Jurassic Lancer
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

History is definitely on your side ... but after last year, I have a feeling things are changing. I think it is time for BD to reinvent themselves, or begin  to slide ...  but I also think it is probable that they will reinvent themselves.

Still, most years I think preseason bets can be placed for BD versus the field for the championship.  This year, for the first time, in the preseason (and before ST) I am picking the field. 

I think it’s changing too, because the last corps to dominate BD like SCV did last year (caption wise at finals) were Cavies and Regiment in 2006. I think 2019 will see SCV and BD go 1-2 again, but the question is will Vanguard win it two years in a row? They certainly are capable. 

10 hours ago, BRASSO said:

I’ve tried to PM you but can’t get through.  3 times and a 500 error message each time.  More to add from my earlier note.

42 minutes ago, LabMaster said:

I’ve tried to PM you but can’t get through.  3 times and a 500 error message each time.  More to add from my earlier note.

I seem to be getting my PM's ok. Got them last nite and this morning so far from DCP'ers ok, LabMaster. I'll reach out to you another way. Chat with you soon.. take care.

On 4/4/2019 at 4:10 PM, Jeff Ream said:

percussion in WGI is more and more driven by the visual, especially since the GE visual sheet was introduced. and to do well, it encourages lower classes to ramp up the gimmicks as opposed to just moving and playing well......and the playing usually suffers

WGI sheets breakdown 30-mus 30-music effect 20-visual 20-visual effect.  How does that drive visual?  You dont have to do body if its not effective IE Rhythm X laying in a balloon set while the guitar player shreds.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, queenanne_1536 said:

I'd agree if you had said 5th to 3rd - the top 4 is (quite a notch) above the next 4 corps - with Boston being currently much closer than the other 5-8 (or 5-7th) corps due to their strength in Guard

JMO but we may see one "top 4" corps drop out of the top 4 this coming year - making room for Boston or someone (Cavaliers?) to slide into that 4th spot

It won't be easy.