2019 Predictions!

1 hour ago, LabMaster said:

True.  But whomever nails a performance that night could win it, so why not Boston? It’s not like they finished several points back. And I’m telling you, they will come out strong.  Their brass line is for real, guard is picking up where they left off and percussion will impress. 

My attempt at cleverness failed, but back to your conversation. 

Detroit has a strong lineup of six finalists, the majority are former champions.  There is every reason to believe they will all be better this year.  As others have pointed out, the judges tend to slot the corps based on the previous year, which would put Boston at a disadvantage.  Bloo is a consistent GE powerhouse, straight out of the gate.  Crown is strong enough to pull off a sweep of the music captions.  Throughout last season, the GE judges were lukewarm toward Crown and even cooler toward Boston.  If Crown improves their GE enough to take it from Bloo, they'll be the winner.  Boston would need to fortify their strength in Visual with a GE and Music boost.  The door is open for these three corps and, so far, Boston is the underdog.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Ediker said:

Detroit has a strong lineup of six finalists, the majority are former champions.  There is every reason to believe they will all be better this year.  As others have pointed out, the judges tend to slot the corps based on the previous year, which would put Boston at a disadvantage.  Bloo is a consistent GE powerhouse, straight out of the gate.  Crown is strong enough to pull off a sweep of the music captions.  Throughout last season, the GE judges were lukewarm toward Crown and even cooler toward Boston.  If Crown improves their GE enough to take it from Bloo, they'll be the winner.  Boston would need to fortify their strength in Visual with a GE and Music boost.  The door is open for these three corps and, so far, Boston is the underdog.  

hmmmmm....it's almost as if it is a case of David versus GOLIATH.....

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Ediker said:

Yeah totally missed your wit.  That's on me, duh!  However, I'll stand by my prediction/guess.  I guess i don't always subscribe to the DCI tenet that whomever was good before will be equally good again. Especially since that can be a self fulfilling prophecy.  I once lived in Missouri for an unenjoyable 4 years,   I didn't take away much from my time there,  but I do follow the idea that you need to "show me".  I think Boston will show me.

I looked at it this way:  This experienced and proven staff is in their 3rd season together, they had an excellent recruiting year and the overall talent level throughout the entire corps is unquestionably up. They were fairly close at Finals.  Bloo 96.95, Crown 95.5, Boston 94.313 only 2.637 apart.  Boston will need to show they belong in the mix and I think they will do just that.  We'll know soon enough. I'd love to hear what the thoughts are after tomorrow night.

• Like 2

I looked at it this way:  This experienced and proven staff is in their 3rd season together, they had an excellent recruiting year and the overall talent level throughout the entire corps is unquestionably up. They were fairly close at Finals.  Bloo 96.95, Crown 95.5, Boston 94.313 only 2.637 apart.  Boston will need to show they belong in the mix and I think they will do just that.  We'll know soon enough. I'd love to hear what the thoughts are after tomorrow night.

I agree with this sentiment. Looking back at the first two years of this new regime, It was very clear to me that the designers made a conscious decision to limit the difficulty of the Horn book and Drill of the hornline and not put so much demand on the members. 

This limits what the judges can assign to their REP/ comp scores. So naturally if all the top 5 corps are achieving at a similar level, the corps with the hardest book will have the ability to maximize their scores.

from what everyone who has seen Boston this year, the designers have seemingly removed this Self-imposed cap and increased the demand on the corps, so If the corps is clean they will have the chance to go toe-to-toe with the big boys.

And I think that is what is so exciting about this year for BAC Alums and fans... The gloves are off and we are ready to take on the Goliaths of this activity. 

Edited by Glenn426

If I recall correctly, I THINK this season is a return to full judging panels beginning with Day 1.  If so, that should give us a better early numbers management than in the past.  If I am not correct, please tell me....really!  :)

• Like 1

Will be at the Ford Field show next week...full report after.

• Like 2