2019 Predictions!

2 hours ago, George Dixon said:

No one said it is impossible, it’s just very unlikely so I’m surprised people keep predicting it. I love Blue Stars so don’t read more into this than just I feel it’s highly unlikely which makes the predictions surprising 

How come you say it's very unlikely?  Times are changing; the spell has finally been broken after all these years, NO ONE has a pre destine right to any position!  

Edited by brians
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, George Dixon said:

No one said it is impossible, it’s just very unlikely so I’m surprised people keep predicting it. I love Blue Stars so don’t read more into this than just I feel it’s highly unlikely which makes the predictions surprising 

Yeah.  There is also an unlikelihood as the Cadets organization slowly returns to functional normalcy.  Show designs are going to become more cohesive, staff longevity will return... I would be surprised to see their placement decline much further given the 'new normal' from the past several years.

I argue that they are the type of organization with a draw for talent (performers, teachers and designers) that could easily pull of a 5+ placement rebound in one season.  They just need to experience stability.

Blue Stars are awesome... but the notion of placement improvement depends not only on their awesomeness (at this point in their growth), but also on the marginal decline of others.  And as George said, that part of the equation is unlikely.  But sure, it's not impossible for the Stars to just break the mold in a given year.  It's happened before, but that kind of thing isn't usually predictable.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, George Dixon said:

I'm not so sure it's highly unlikely. You have to realize you have a very strong pro-Cadet bias. That's fine. It took me more than 25 years to get rid of all but one of my biases. My biggest bias was my anti-BD bias. I didn't even think they deserved it in 2014 if you can believe that. Now that it's gone, I look back and yes, BD deserved everything they got. Biases can sometimes cloud us from seeing what's really going on. Of all the biases I've been able to shake, I still have a small pro-SCV bias. I doubt that will ever go away, and I'm ok with that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, queenanne_1536 said:

It took me more than 25 years to get rid of all but one of my biases. My biggest bias was my anti-BD bias. I didn't even think they deserved it in 2014 if you can believe that. Now that it's gone, I look back and yes, BD deserved everything they got. Biases can sometimes cloud us from seeing what's really going on. Of all the biases I've been able to shake, I still have a small pro-SCV bias. I doubt that will ever go away, and I'm ok with that.

It is refreshing to see some self-awareness on DCP

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, cfirwin3 said:

Yeah.  There is also an unlikelihood as the Cadets organization slowly returns to functional normalcy.  Show designs are going to become more cohesive, staff longevity will return... I would be surprised to see their placement decline much further given the 'new normal' from the past several years.

I argue that they are the type of organization with a draw for talent (performers, teachers and designers) that could easily pull of a 5+ placement rebound in one season.  They just need to experience stability.

Blue Stars are awesome... but the notion of placement improvement depends not only on their awesomeness (at this point in their growth), but also on the marginal decline of others.  And as George said, that part of the equation is unlikely.  But sure, it's not impossible for the Stars to just break the mold in a given year.  It's happened before, but that kind of thing isn't usually predictable.

I hope that Cadets get back to where they were quickly but even this season, there are changes going on internally.  It was asked before and never answered, but does anyone know why Bobby Jones was let go less than two weeks into spring training and the visual caption head is finishing the drill?   I hope it turns out great but I just worry that it’s not completely stable there yet. 

8 minutes ago, queenanne_1536 said:

I'm not so sure it's highly unlikely. You have to realize you have a very strong pro-Cadet bias. That's fine. It took me more than 25 years to get rid of all but one of my biases. My biggest bias was my anti-BD bias. I didn't even think they deserved it in 2014 if you can believe that. Now that it's gone, I look back and yes, BD deserved everything they got. Biases can sometimes cloud us from seeing what's really going on. Of all the biases I've been able to shake, I still have a small pro-SCV bias. I doubt that will ever go away, and I'm ok with that.

Much respect to you for this post and keeping it real. Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on the upcoming season. 

• Like 1

Cadets have slipped as far as they are going to go... Two Words. Denise. Bonfiglio.

She been responsible for SCV Guard recent success both on the field and in WGI and has now returned to her roots at Cadets.

You also have the Aungst's Darcie in particular is responsible for the wildly innovative designs for Dartmouth PSW every year and I suspect Cadets will enjoy some of her design influence this year and for many years to come.

IF the hornline and book are up to snuff I have no reason to think that Denise, Darcie, Tom and others wont be able to get the Cadets back among the top in the activity once they establish themselves in this Corps. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, George Dixon said:

More than likely it's because Blue Stars didn't fire their visual designer last week and don't have crippling financial issues....