2019 Predictions!

7 minutes ago, Brass34 said:

Explain Boston.

What about Boston? Yes, the stars aligned to boost them from 12th to 6th (that rarely ever happens today). I admit I didn't think that was going to happen it did. But, and it's a big but, the move from 5th to 3rd to 2nd to 1st is going to be A LOT harder than the move from 12th to 6th was. 

Edited by queenanne_1536

29 minutes ago, Brass34 said:

Explain Boston.

Yeah.  That's it right there.  You can easily explain Boston NOW... but it's awful hard to explain Boston in 2000-ish.  It just happened, unpredictably.  Since then, they have been holding on to the middle (like so many before them) and have lately, SLOWLY re-surged (due to a fantastic recruitment of staff and designers... and a long standing improvement of the perception of their name that draws talent).  In spite of some placement jumping back and forth, Boston has been at it for a VERY long time.

You can easily make a case for Boston contending this year or next.  They are a championship caption winning drumcorps.

Edited by cfirwin3

11 minutes ago, queenanne_1536 said:

What about Boston? Yes, the stars aligned to boost them from 12th to 6th (that rarely ever happens today). I admit I didn't think that was going to happen it did. But, and it's a big but, the move from 5th to 3rd to 2nd to 1st is going to be A LOT harder than the move from 12th to 6th was. 

Seriously?  "The stars aligned to boost" BAC...?  Dear God.  THAT'S what you think happened? 

Thursday night can't come soon enough.

Edited by craiga
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, craiga said:

Seriously?  "The stars aligned to boost" BAC...?  Dear God.  THAT'S what you think happened? 

Thursday night can come soon enough.

Agreed. A lot of silliness being posted and supposed 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, queenanne_1536 said:

True, it’s very difficult to get into the top tier. My point is that it doesn’t always take years for a design team to gel before becoming good. And even having a consistent design team doesn’t translate to a corps doing well. Plenty of stagnant corps with the same designers.

I guess what I want to say is that both opinions/predictions are valid because we don’t know the future. Anything can happen. 

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Brass34 said:

True, it’s very difficult to get into the top tier. My point is that it doesn’t always take years for a design team to gel before becoming good. And even having a consistent design team doesn’t translate to a corps doing well. Plenty of stagnant corps with the same designers.

I guess what I want to say is that both opinions/predictions are valid because we don’t know the future. Anything can happen. 

I disagree with your first paragraph --- I can't offhand think of a single corps who has kept all key players in a design team for 3+ years in a row and stagnated as a result. On the contrary, one of my biggest pet peeves in the activity (and the drum corps side of pageantry arts is by far the worst offender) is that non-finalist corps go through designers like Kleenex, bouncing to a new x writer every year or every other year for 10+ seasons at a time, trying to find something that pops and propels them up in the rankings. It just makes me want to get a megaphone and scream "NONE of these year to year wholesale changes in design staff is going to be a magic bullet; give everyone a few years at least to gel together!" Queenanne is correct in that it takes a couple seasons for new design teams to get their sea legs and work at full force. 

1 hour ago, queenanne_1536 said:

THANK YOU!!!

1 hour ago, craiga said:

Thursday night can't come soon enough.

Yes, the stars did indeed align. I realize my choice of words probably caused you to respond the way you did. I didn't mean "luck" got them there. What I meant was a lot of things, that are hard to make happen over the course of several years, seemingly happened for them simultaneously. They got their alumni to throw massive support and funds their way, which allowed them to put a great design and instructional team in place, which bettered their design and their recruiting/talent, which bettered their competitive results. Good God, name another time in recent years that this happened. Yes, of course, there was a lot of work involved. I'm not saying there wasn't, but the stars did indeed align. A LOT of things had to happen to move that corps from 12th to 6th place, and they all seemingly happened so quickly. So, yes, in my incorrect definition of the stars align, the stars aligned.

Edited by queenanne_1536