2019 Predictions!

10 minutes ago, Jake W. said:

I disagree with your first paragraph --- I can't offhand think of a single corps who has kept all key players in a design team for 3+ years in a row and stagnated as a result. 

Literally every corps has gone through periods of no further improvement with the same design team.. It happens.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Jake W. said:

I disagree with your first paragraph --- I can't offhand think of a single corps who has kept all key players in a design team for 3+ years in a row and stagnated as a result. On the contrary, one of my biggest pet peeves in the activity (and the drum corps side of pageantry arts is by far the worst offender) is that non-finalist corps go through designers like Kleenex, bouncing to a new x writer every year or every other year for 10+ seasons at a time, trying to find something that pops and propels them up in the rankings. It just makes me want to get a megaphone and scream "NONE of these year to year wholesale changes in design staff is going to be a magic bullet; give everyone a few years at least to gel together!" Queenanne is correct in that it takes a couple seasons for new design teams to get their sea legs and work at full force. 

Yes, exactly. Boston's rise was helped (read helped, it's not the only reason) by the inconsistencies in the corps that placed 6th and lower in 2016. Their rise was remarkable, no one is denying that. But, they passed up corps who had perhaps multiple weaknesses. BD and SCV have none. Bluecoats and Crown have few. It's going to be a lot harder to pass up those four than it was to pass up those they flew by in 2017.

Look at the history of our 3 most recent non-BD champions and tell me their rises were swift and sudden. You can't. They all experienced ups and downs, and growing pains along the way. It wasn't a smooth ride for any of them and it's not going to be for Boston either. 

Edited by queenanne_1536

I don't consider myself a Boston homer in the slightest, but there sure is a lot of insecurity about how well they'll place from certain people. They have a staff and membership that's just as good as any other of the other corps competing for a medal. Seems like certain people don't want to accept that because it means "my favorite corps" has a less likely chance of getting into that top 3. I say bring it on, let's see what everyone's got and you get what you get.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, Brass Lover said:

I don't consider myself a Boston homer in the slightest, but there sure is a lot of insecurity about how well they'll place from certain people. They have a staff and membership that's just as good as any other of the other corps competing for a medal. Seems like certain people don't want to accept that because it means "my favorite corps" has a less likely chance of getting into that top 3. I say bring it on, let's see what everyone's got and you get what you get.

I would love to see them in the top 3. I love when things get mixed up in the standings. I love when a new corps makes the top 5, 3 or wins for the first time. It makes this activity so exciting. They were the most exciting thing about the 2000, for me. It was really fun to see them burst into the top 5 with such a beautiful show. No doubt, their future is very bright.

2 minutes ago, Brass Lover said:

You do sound like a Boston homer. Lol.

1 minute ago, queenanne_1536 said:

I would love to see them in the top 3. I love when things get mixed up in the standings. I love when a new corps makes the top 5, 3 or wins for the first time. It makes this activity so exciting. They were the most exciting thing about the 2000, for me. It was really fun to see them burst into the top 5 with such a beautiful show. No doubt, their future is very bright.

However bright their future is, they have to figure out the formula first.

Crown did (10 years). 

Bluecoats did (9 years).

Vanguard did (10 years).

Boston hasn't figured out the formula, but rather put out another show that is almost identical in style and theme as the last two years. That will make you stay stagnant and/or fall back. You have to take risks, and if I'm being honest there are no risks being took in this Boston show.

Crown took a huge risk musically in 2013.

Bluecoats took a huge risk design wise with their slides in 2016.

SCV took huge risk design wise with their uniforms and their visual design last year.

In order to beat the Blue Devils, you have to take risks. You have to, as a design team, lay it all out and as a corps floor it. The corps may be flooring it, but I think the design team has let the corps down with this years show. That's not to say it's bad, but it's not a championship or even top 3 show.

Let the hating commence.

Regardless of all the posts about who will beat who and who deserves it and who doesn't, the members of every corps are out there working their tails off.  Winning would be nice, but it isn't all that matters to them.  Heck, most of them have friends and classmates in other corps! I'm not sure why there is such a deep level of discontent when thing might get shuffled, but what a boring activity it would be if the results were always predetermined.  That's like watching baseball knowing who would win the World Series.  Members & staff move around, corps designs ebb & flow.  It just happens. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, DCIat14 said:

Regardless of all the posts about who will beat who and who deserves it and who doesn't, the members of every corps are out there working their tails off.  Winning would be nice, but it isn't all that matters to them.  Heck, most of them have friends and classmates in other corps! I'm not sure why there is such a deep level of discontent when thing might get shuffled, but what a boring activity it would be if the results were always predetermined.  That's like watching baseball knowing who would win the World Series.  Members & staff move around, corps designs ebb & flow.  It just happens. 

I mean, we pretty much know who's going to win this year based on past history. Can't go two years in a row without a win!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Incognito365 said:

That's not to say it's bad, but it's not a championship or even top 3 show.

Bookmarking this so we can revisit this later

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Brass34 said:

Bookmarking this so we can revisit this later

If it makes top 3, it's because those consistently at the top had a bad year. Design wise, it's not top 3.

• Like 1