2019 Predictions!

1 hour ago, boxingfred said:

I could see Blue Devils dropping below 3rd. Not because BD is slipping (Blue Devils are very good this year). The other top corps have up'd their game. Vanguard, Bluecoats, Crown and Boston all have a shot at top 3, not to mention Cavaliers are looking scary good this year. Having so many good corps at the top is a great thing.

2 of the last 3 times we had a ton of great shows at the top BD still won. The exception is Spartacus. Field was really thick in 07 and the top 6 were fantastic in 2015 with potential for any of the top 4 to win.

2 hours ago, Chief Guns said:

BD finishing 5th or worse this YEAR?? Few things i can guarantee.........

1. I will never be a millionaire.

2. I will always have to depend on my lame boring personality to compensate for my lack of good looks.

3. DCP'er "Standing O" will always be a troll, never bringing anything meaningful to a conversation on this site.

4. BD is not finishing out of the medal spots this year. 

See you in August to review #4.

We shall see mister chief! As for #2 don’t be so hard on yourself  🤴🏻

• Haha 2

On 6/22/2019 at 8:21 AM, Algernon said:

here is how I see the groupings, based on what I have seen & heard

1-3 BD, SCV, Bluecoats

4-6 Crown, Cavaliers, Boston

7-11 Mandarins, Cadets, Blue Stars, Crossmen, Blue Knights

12- 14 Phantom, Spirit, Academy

15-18  Colts. Scouts, Troopers, Music City

19-20   Pacific Crest, Genesis

21-22  Cascades, Surf

Look at you remembering there are more than 6-12 groups of kids out there competing.  How refreshing. 

• Like 5

After the opening weekend of shows my three predictions are no one new makes the top ten. Those corps will be the same ones we saw in 2018.

The top six remain the same six corps.

Blue Devils take gold. The show I saw last night can grow into something that challenges 2014 level of awesomeness. 

• Like 3

So after seeing most of the shows this year, I think there is a very real possibility of something crazy happening this year. 

I predict Crown, SCV, and Bloo duke it out for gold. Phantom doesn't make finals. BD doesn't medal. :whistle:

Edited by DasTuba
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, DasTuba said:

So after seeing most of the shows this year, I think there is a very real possibility of something crazy happening this year. 

I predict Crown, SCV, and Bloo duke it out for gold. Phantom doesn't make finals. BD doesn't medal. :whistle:

Care for a friendly wager on BD not medaling this year 🙂

Edited by Chief Guns

8 minutes ago, Chief Guns said:

Care for a friendly wager on BD not medaling this year 🙂

A gentleman's bet is enough for me. Not that I don't want BD to medal, nor that I don't think they will. I just think it is a very real possibility that they might not this year. I think Crown, SCV, and Bloo are all just THAT good this year, it could happen....

Just now, DasTuba said:

A gentleman's bet is enough for me. Not that I don't want BD to medal, nor that I don't think they will. I just think it is a very real possibility that they might not this year. I think Crown, SCV, and Bloo are all just THAT good this year, it could happen....

I can respect that. All those shows are monster this year. At some point BD will not medal. Everything comes to an end eventually. But it won't be this year. Not with Ghostlight. That i guarantee. And if i am wrong, i will be a here on DCP finals night eating crow, with a slice of humble pie for dessert. 

• Like 1

I'm just now watching BD for the first time this year (and I haven't seen any of the other shows playing in the west yet), but I have a hard time believing it drops below 2nd much less below 3rd. Too much brilliance. Just for sheer use of props alone, I'm blown away. That moment when they transform the back wall is awesome. And they sound very good and have some excellent drill too.

• Like 1

Everyone always says BD's reign "has to end some time". Does it?

If we flashed forward ten years into the future, and BD hasn't broken their medal streak, would too many of us be surprised? Probably not.

What about 20 years? 2039? A bit less believable, but it could certainly happen.

What about 40 years? 2059. I'd be 71. Jeezus. It's pretty unreasonable, but incredibly unlikely does not equal impossible. It could happen that they're still medaling at that point.

DCI as an organization maybe isn't around in the same capacity 30 years from now. Global warming could change the dynamics of society and we'll no longer care about marching band/drum corps. The orange lunatic could start a nuclear war with Iran and we'll be blown off the face of the earth and BD will end their reign still in the top 3.

All I'm saying is that Blue Devils' streak of medal finishes doesn't "have to end sometime".  It still remains an unwise bet to make.

• Like 1