2019 Predictions!

1 hour ago, Ediker said:

It’s gone the other direction too, with percussion moving into WGI space. 

Its  unreal the overall growth of Winter Guard International too. To the point there are now more participant performers doing WGI, than doing DCI. The comparatively lower costs for participation likely an important factor, I would imagine ( thats what people tell me anyway, and would seem to make sense as well for such growth of numbers participating ).

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Ediker said:

It’s gone the other direction too, with percussion moving into WGI space. 

percussion in WGI is more and more driven by the visual, especially since the GE visual sheet was introduced. and to do well, it encourages lower classes to ramp up the gimmicks as opposed to just moving and playing well......and the playing usually suffers

• Like 1

On 4/2/2019 at 1:42 PM, George Dixon said:

But in 2019 - the guard strength makes all things possible with further improvement in the other performance captions

That's the key and it's a big key. Guard may be more important today than in the past, but it doesn't matter if BAC gets a 20.0 in guard every year. If other captions don't improve they will still likely land in 4th or 5th. Years like 2016, where BD is a threat in all captions are rare, and now SCV might be in that "win all captions" club. I guess we'll see this year if that holds true. So winning one caption and winning it all, Bluecoats 2016, is going to be a very rare feat. That being sad, until I see any indication totherwise, I'm going to assume Boston will improve in all captions. I thought 2018 as a step up from 2019 and they had a really nice show.

• Like 2

The evidence for the  support of the premise of the increased importance of Guard/ Visual on the DCI current judging sheets can also be borne out with how many Corps the last decade that won the Ott Award ( Best Brass ) and/ or the Sanford Award ( Best Percussion ) won DCI that season. when they were awarded Best in DCI in these 2 Corps sections.. ( not many ). SCV, for example, won the Sanford for several years the last decade.  But It was not until Michael Gaines came onto their staff to enhance the Visual side however that put SCV back into the medals round, then ultimately  the Winners Circle last season. Carolina Crown has won several Ott Awards for Best Brass  in DCI, but only 1 DCI Title. (the Year they won DCI, they finished 6th in Percussion ).  Winning the Zingali Award for " Best Guard " in of itself will not catapult a Corps into the Winners Circle. But the data does seem to show that one can win a DCI Title finishing 5th or 6th in a non Guard section Caption,  but  impossible to win a DCI Title  if a  Corps is similarly in 5th or 6th place in Guard on FInals Night. If one is going to have an achilles heel in a Corps section. its far better if its Brass and/ or Percussion... but not Guard. This seems not only true in the Top 6 DCI Corps, but right down throughout the lower echelon of DCI as well. As mentioned above, last season, the Mandarins figured out the sheets. They comfortably made their first Finals qualification ( easily in Finals.. at 10th ) despite not finishing in the Top 12 in either Brass Performance, nor Percussion Performance in the Prelims. This could not have happened ( imo) if their Guard/ Visual did not finish in the Top 12, but their Percussion/ Brass did.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 5

• 3 weeks later...

Bump

But not a solo bump, oh no.  Learned my lesson from my very egregious error.  To bump without contributing some eloquent and conscious raising commentary or other opinion, whether it has value or not; like the several trite boycott threads, is a very serious offense.

My intent with this bump is to bring the prediction thread to the forefront as the DC world approaches their final offseason camps.  I assume most corps have their final camp this weekend.  For some it is also a final audition camp for guards too.  In a few short weeks, Spring Training gets underway.  So I’m thinking we are about 8 weeks from the premiere show and less than 8 weeks after that, we’ll be chewing on the results of the season.  So within the next few weeks with show announcements made and camps done  and ST reports coming in who will win?  Who wins captions? What will be the woulda, shoulda, coulda’s?  I follow one corps in particular and I predict they will be in the race for the Ott.  Surprising many. Maybe to go with a second Zingali?  One can hope.  This has been an exceptionally quiet winter.

Edited by LabMaster

On 4/5/2019 at 11:59 AM, queenanne_1536 said:

That's the key and it's a big key. Guard may be more important today than in the past, but it doesn't matter if BAC gets a 20.0 in guard every year. If other captions don't improve they will still likely land in 4th or 5th. Years like 2016, where BD is a threat in all captions are rare, and now SCV might be in that "win all captions" club. I guess we'll see this year if that holds true. So winning one caption and winning it all, Bluecoats 2016, is going to be a very rare feat. That being sad, until I see any indication totherwise, I'm going to assume Boston will improve in all captions. I thought 2018 as a step up from 2019 and they had a really nice show.

BAC was a nice college band last year.

• Confused 4

18 minutes ago, dans said:

BAC was a nice college band last year.

Image result for they had a very nice....... gifs

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This fortune teller predicts I'm gonna lose 5 bucks in the next 5 minutes. Got to admit.. she's dam good.

Related image

2 hours ago, LabMaster said:

Bump

But not a solo bump, oh no.  Learned my lesson from my very egregious error.  To bump without contributing some eloquent and conscious raising commentary or other opinion, whether it has value or not; like the several trite boycott threads, is a very serious offense.

My intent with this bump is to bring the prediction thread to the forefront as the DC world approaches their final offseason camps.  I assume most corps have their final camp this weekend.  For some it is also a final audition camp for guards too.  In a few short weeks, Spring Training gets underway.  So I’m thinking we are about 8 weeks from the premiere show and less than 8 weeks after that, we’ll be chewing on the results of the season.  So within the next few weeks with show announcements made and camps done  and ST reports coming in who will win?  Who wins captions? What will be the woulda, shoulda, coulda’s?  I follow one corps in particular and I predict they will be in the race for the Ott.  Surprising many. Maybe to go with a second Zingali?  One can hope.  This has been an exceptionally quiet winter.

I like your second paragraph. The first was a little salty for my tastes.

I also wonder about your questions. I won’t make a prediction about the Ott, though. There are some extremely great lines out there so there are several in the mix. 

Edited by Jurassic Lancer
  • Thanks 1