2019 Predictions!

1 minute ago, BRASSO said:

These things though have always gone in cycles. While BD is like a DCI All Stars Drum Corps and can be expected to contend every season as such, no region of the Country has ever really dominated Titles. All 4 regions of the Country win them every few years. This could the West Coast time once again. But it won't last long, imo, even if its currently true. These things rarely do.

Are you counting Carolina Crown, named after the Northern city of Charlotte, as a Southern corps because they get their mail in Ft. Mill, 18 miles further south?  Remember Ft. Sumter?

Will it be Spirit, Southwind, or Charioteers who will have the South rise again?

11 minutes ago, xandandl said:

Are you counting Carolina Crown, named after the Northern city of Charlotte, as a Southern corps because they get their mail in Ft. Mill, 18 miles further south?  Remember Ft. Sumter?

Will it be Spirit, Southwind, or Charioteers who will have the South rise again?

Yes. I would count Carolina Crown as a southern based Drum Corps. I believe they would even consider themselves as " southern based " Drum Corps and not " northern based " or " northeast based "  Drum Corps as well, X.  But I suppose one would have to ask them.   Bottom line though, with most all these World Class Div. Corps getting their marchers/ staffs from all over the US and the World now, the geography thing is really passe now anyway, imo

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, LabMaster said:

Well a lawsuit can be brought by just about anyone for anything.  It is up to the court to determine if there is merit.  That being said, there is certainly a concern about some of the prop use we have been seeing lately, are inherently more dangerous that others.  Elevated platforms are for one.  Tarps are not as dangerous, in the sense there wouldn't necessarily be a traumatic injury resulting from a fall that would  might get with a fall off a Bluecoats chair for example (only an example BC fans don't freak out).  The same is true of some BD stairs/props a beastly teeter totter and so on.

We may be arriving at a point where proposed props that fall into a category such as these (elevated, kinetic) or the MM's use of a prop (run up a ramp and dive into the arms of other MM's, backflips off of elevated props, need to be previewed by a DCI Risk Management team to ascertain the danger to MM's and the liability that may result in a traumatic and permanent injury, that would be borne by an organization.  Would a corps insurers (do the have liability insurance against MM, staff or admin injuries?) accept the liability/risk?  Tarps used the way Boston and Mandarins used them have a very low, if any, MM risk; versus Cavaliers and Blue Stars use of them (as proved out).  Some corps might be reluctant to bring visibility to a "secret' prop so to speak, but the risk may outweigh the surprise. 

While there is risk in tarps, it is a type of risk that is of a common and everyday variety.  I'd hate to see oppressive regulation of the more unusual props... because they are very cool.  My concern is that props seem to have become mandatory... and with that comes pressure to be more unusual and daring.  It's that pressure that I'd like to see minimized, particularly as it pertains to younger performers.  It's one thing to see an adult perform a back flip on an 8 ft wheeled platform.  It's another to see someone much younger attempt to do so.  There is a line between concert band and Cirque du Soleil that we need to draw.  Granted, many of the cool prop tricks were merely icing on the cake of very excellent shows.  It just wouldn't be as interesting in lesser shows.  That's probably enough downward pressure to keep such tricks rare.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, LabMaster said:

I agree with this and the maturity I believe will come with recruitment of more talent.  Guard certainly will be able to recruit the best as that's what happens when you are as successful as they are.  Brass and Percussion will obtain better talent as both areas stepped up their game this year and are on the verge of breaking out and having the credibility they are working towards.  Boston's brass IMO was underrated this year.  when you listen to what they play and the quality of how the perform, they are right there and the numbers were showing that as well, just a bit behind.  Percussion I think are viewed much the same as the brass.

Boston's brass line was very good throughout the season, but it took until Finals week for them to attain the higher levels of achievement.  The best brass lines tend to reach that level earlier and, by finals, have brought it to the undeniable level.  It seems to take a certain consistency of achievement before the judges start throwing those higher numbers.  Great work, great achievement by Boston musically this year.  They're on the right path.  

• Like 2

To further my top 15 predictions, here’s the rest of the corps who went to championships in 2018. I was going to do all of the open class corps, but given how their tours ended in mostly mid to late July, it would way to hard to speculate where they would end up if they all went to championships. (Open class corps have their open class ranking in parentheses.)

16. Colts

17. Troopers

18. Vanguard Cadets (1)

19. Music City

20. Pacific Crest

21. Blue Devils B (2)

22. Oregon Crusaders

23. Genesis

24. Legends (3)

25. Gold (4)

26. Spartans (5)

27. Seattle Cascades

28. Guardians (6)

29. 7th Regiment (7)

30. Southwind (8)

31. Jersey Surf

32. Louisiana Stars (9)

33. River City Rhythm (10)

34. Golden Empire (11)

35. Pioneer

36. Colt Cadets (12)

37. Shadow (13)

38. Raiders (14)

39. Heat Wave (15)

3 hours ago, BRASSO said:

These things though have always gone in cycles. While BD is like a DCI All Stars Drum Corps and can be expected to contend every season as such, no region of the Country has ever really dominated Titles. ( besides BD ) All 4 regions of the Country has a Rep. Corps win them every few years. This could the West Coast time once again. But it won't last long, imo, even if its currently true. These things rarely do. ( " Bluecoats" is one word, by the way)

Thank you for the correction on the spelling. Appreciate your opinion.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ediker said:

Boston's brass line was very good throughout the season, but it took until Finals week for them to attain the higher levels of achievement.  The best brass lines tend to reach that level earlier and, by finals, have brought it to the undeniable level.  It seems to take a certain consistency of achievement before the judges start throwing those higher numbers.  Great work, great achievement by Boston musically this year.  They're on the right path.  

This is a fundamental flaw in DCI scoring in that where you end up at the end of the season is limited to where you started. Has less to do with actual achievement at the end..

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, xandandl said:

Carolina Crown is from Ft. Mill, SC - a southern state. Even if they were from Charlotte, NC - well that would too be a southern state. Carolina Crown is 100%, without a doubt, a southern corps. Even if they were from Virgina, Delaware, Maryland or Kentucky they would be, well, a southern corps.

Edited by queenanne_1536
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, queenanne_1536 said:

Carolina Crown is from Ft. Mill, SC - a southern state. Even if they were from Charlotte, NC - well that would too be a southern state. Carolina Crown is 100%, without a doubt, a southern corps. Even if they were from Virgina, Delaware, Maryland or Kentucky they would be, well, a southern corps.

They even have "South" in the home state's name.  LOL.  I agree with you totally.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, queenanne_1536 said:

Everything south of CT is the south. :wink:

• Like 2
  • Haha 3