2019 Predictions!

56 minutes ago, skevinp said:

.85 but your point is taken.

Don't feel bad, though.  Some folks seem anxious to put Bloo in medal contention while writing Crown off even though they were only .25 behind Bloo.

Assuming BD and SCV take the gold and silver, I think there are 4 corps with a very legit shot at bronze.

I seriously wouldn't assume that BD will take bronze... not untill one of those three meets up with one if the other 3 for some reference.  There was some nice space between SCV and BD that may have 1 or 2 corps names on it.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, cfirwin3 said:

It's about the congested field and the potential for GE.  Boston could very well win guard and go undefeated in the caption... it just isn't mathematically enough without the potential to win against most of the field in GE (total).  Even if SCV wins most captions, the rest are likely going to get split among a wide field for 2nd, 3rd, etc.

In order to put BAC in medals, you would have to have a good argument for their GE game (over the two that they met the other night AND at least 1 more from the west coast touring 3... AND they would need to place very high -consistently 2nd and 3rd- in nearly all other captions... AND they can't afford to place below 5 in any 1 caption).  It's a really REALLY tall order given where they are starting.

It's not that tall of an order for Crown.  They are scoring well out of the gate with fairly large portions of room in the show to rev up the engine (especially visually).

Exactly this. It's just highly unlikely BAC is going to be top 4 in brass, or top 4 in GE or top 4 in percussion. Crown's brass is always good, Vanguard seems to have a hornline as good (or better) than last year, Cavies beat BD in brass last night. BD's brass is always good. Bluecoats are right up there. Right there, BAC is likely 6th. That will knock them out of the medals right there, because the only caption they are likely to place top 3 is guard and a big big big maybe on visual.

Edited by queenanne_1536

1 minute ago, cfirwin3 said:

I seriously wouldn't assume that BD will take bronze... not untill one of those three meets up with one if the other 3 for some reference.  There was some nice space between SCV and BD that may have 1 or 2 corps names on it.

BD is allergic to non-medal placements. They can't not medal.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Poppycock said:

Oh I understood it the first time. Though I doubt they will do nothing more than fluttering and body dispositions. Marching requires cleaning the feet. Unlike SCV Devils do both. 

Come on! That's BS. Someone is clearly biased.

3 minutes ago, jeffmolnar said:

BD is allergic to non-medal placements. They can't not medal.

There will come a time that BD doesn't medal. The last time that happened was 2005. So, I'm with you - I'm not going to bet on that happening this year. No way.

2 minutes ago, queenanne_1536 said:

There will come a time that BD doesn't medal. The last time that happened was 2005. So, I'm with you - I'm not going to bet on that happening this year. No way.

True, but even then it had been over a decade since it last happened.

Another way of putting it -- over the last 24 years, BD only failed to medal a single time. And they got 4th.

• Thanks 1

Just now, jeffmolnar said:

True, but even then it had been over a decade since it last happened.

Another way of putting it -- over the last 24 years, BD only failed to medal a single time. And they got 4th.

I know. That's crazy, isn't it. Just crazy. And, top 2 from 2007-2018. They are the single safest bet in DCI. 

We have a top six where anything can happen. I think that’s awesome! And I really don’t care where any of them land. I am just going to enjoy the ride.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

We have a top six where anything can happen. I think that’s awesome! And I really don’t care where any of them land. I am just going to enjoy the ride.

I agree, although my early top 3 would be 1) Bluecoats, 2) SCV, 3) Crown

Blue Devils will, no doubt, factor into this as they clean and polish. Boston and Cavaliers will also make this interesting. I love Boston's brass book, and I think I love Bluecoats and Crown's music book even more. BD feels somewhat choppy at this juncture, but I feel like they have put in the basic blocks to the show and have not yet worked out all the transitions. As a total show I get the feeling I am going to love BD, but as for now my favorites based on video I have seen are Bluecoats and Crown. SCV may have to grow on me, but they are clearly very good. 

• Like 3