2019 Predictions!

3 hours ago, heyboiay said:

interesting points. In regards to Crown, they are already performing at a pretty high level yes, BUT there is so much to clean and so much to grow. The ballad and closer will be very different come the end of the season.

The closer has some dirt that's impacting the GE.  The ballad is pretty excellent in my book... hope any changes do not undo what's right.  A major advantage for Crown is their repertoire because it does not rely on any past associations the audience might have to boost its likeability.  It stands on its own.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Glenn426 said:

Bluecoats - Amazing production, lots of great emotional moments with a strong connection to the Beatles. But, if you did not have the connection to the Beatles (The movie Yesterday) and this was taken for what is being performed and achieved on the field there are not as much strong connection (GE) points. The main driver of the show is how the audience reacts to hearing Familiar songs performed on the field. IF a judge puts that aside and judges the content without making the emotional connection, then I think Bluecoats have a weakness. The show is a passion project for the staff, I think they sacrificed some of the normal effects they would build into a show to stay true to the Beatles and their vision and in the long run will hurt them competitively, in exchange for being an all-time Fan favorite. The guard while there, are not featured and adding to the effectiveness of the show as much as they should. Imagine watching Bluecoats on mute, how effective is their show? I don't think these questions are being asked right now, but once its the 5th read by a judge and the initial emotional satisfaction wears off, where is the meat in show coming from. Because of this, I think they will slowly start to fall from the top perhaps around ATL where other groups around will start to make ground.

I think your watching this show with west coast glasses, horn and percussion books are loaded.  Drill is straight up BD with staging and guard is featured throughout the show. I'm no Beatles fan, in fact, after I saw the announcement vid I grumbled all the way to the theater....and was blown away!

• Like 2

Some interesting comments

i would personally include Cavaliers in the top six grouping

right now it appears Bloo and SCV are 1-2

BD-Crown 3/4

Cavaliers/Boston 5/6

then Cadets closely followed by

then BS/Mandarins and maybe BK 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, NCWVUFAN said:

I think your watching this show with west coast glasses, horn and percussion books are loaded.  Drill is straight up BD with staging and guard is featured throughout the show. I'm no Beatles fan, in fact, after I saw the announcement vid I grumbled all the way to the theater....and was blown away!

This is I think the problem.... No one has been able to get away with what BD has gotten away with. The reason being that BD Talent gets credit and effect from the 8to5 marching at 80 bpm... And BD's Transitions are part of the show so much so that Transition make up a large portion of the show.. Bluecoats is great but they are not on BD's Level Talent-wise to be able to decrease difficulty and increase effectiveness.. And comparing Bluecoats to themselves the past couple of years this year is down in demand. Which is something that I think was done to preserve the integrity of the Beatles music.. McCarthy and Lennon weren't double or triple tonguing anything outside of the Trailers..  

3 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

BD-Crown 3/4

Cavaliers/Boston 5/6

I agree with you but I feel extremely uncomfortable with BD at 3/4. They have a week to tweak/change things but the fact is they flat out got beat by SCV 3 consecutive shows and Cavaliers are ahead of them in brass. 

8 minutes ago, ThePlanets said:

I agree with you but I feel extremely uncomfortable with BD at 3/4. They have a week to tweak/change things but the fact is they flat out got beat by SCV 3 consecutive shows and Cavaliers are ahead of them in brass. 

The unusual issue BD is going to run into this season is Crown or SCV will take brass, SCV probably drums, Boston guard and Bluecoats or and SCV taking visual and GE

BD might be second or third in several captions and third fourth in others - that may hurt their medal chances

however we are talking BD and it is very early but this is a year ordinal math management may hurt BD once all the corps are together. Rare indeed if so 

Edited by George Dixon
  • Like 5

10 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

BD-Crown 3/4

Cavaliers/Boston 5/6

Right now, in 2017 and 2018, many thought Bloo was in 1st. In both years, as soon as BD and SCV made their way east, they immediately dropped to 3rd (and eventually 5th in 2017). I think the safest assumption one can make re: the Blue Devils is - if you haven't beaten them head-to-head, you're behind them. So if I were the Bluecoats, I'd run under the assumption that I am  behind both SCV and BD right now. Also, if I were in charge in Canton, I would want my season to start every year in Northern California so I knew where I immediately stood.

I think it's hard to assume Bluecoats are top 2 right now based on the spread between them and Boston, because if Bluecoats are in fact in 1st right now, then how do you fit three or four other corps in a 1.25 spread, because it is extremely doubtful and Boston could be ahead of, or even even with, SCV or BD.

It's sure going to be interesting to see how this all shapes up. Fun season so far, and I'm glad the whole top 6 have stepped up their game. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

The unusual issue BD is going to run into this season is Crown or SCV will take brass, SCV probably drums, Boston guard and Bluecoats or and SCV taking visual and GE

BD might be second or third in several captions and third fourth in others - that may hurt their medal chances

however we are talking BD and it is very early but this is a year ordinal math management may hurt BD once all the corps are together. Rare indeed if so 

I will never count out BD again. I was celebrating Crown's championship in 2015 on Thursday and Friday night. We all know what happened.

I do think BD will medal, and I think they will beat Crown, Cavaliers, Boston and Bluecoats in most captions at finals, losing only to SCV (and perhaps BAC in guard, too). BD is less than 0.5 from the defending champions, and the corps that could very well repeat as 2019 Champion. If SCV gets out of first tour without losing to BD, I think they will run the table.

2 minutes ago, queenanne_1536 said:

Right now, in 2017 and 2018, many thought Bloo was in 1st. In both years, as soon as BD and SCV made their way east, they immediately dropped to 3rd (and eventually 5th in 2017). I think the safest assumption one can make re: the Blue Devils is - if you haven't beaten them head-to-head, you're behind them. So if I were the Bluecoats, I'd run under the assumption that I am  behind both SCV and BD right now. Also, if I were in charge in Canton, I would want my season to start every year in Northern California so I knew where I immediately stood.

I think it's hard to assume Bluecoats are top 2 right now based on the spread between them and Boston, because if Bluecoats are in fact in 1st right now, then how do you fit three or four other corps in a 1.25 spread, because it is extremely doubtful and Boston could be ahead of, or even even with, SCV or BD.

It's sure going to be interesting to see how this all shapes up. Fun season so far, and I'm glad the whole top 6 have stepped up their game. 

totally agree with you from an historical perspective - however I"m not seeing (yet) the caption strength from BD at all

Cavaliers topping them in brass is a red flag perhaps 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, NCWVUFAN said:

I just re-watched the show, While I agree upon re-watching that the demand is there in the Opener. Once you get to the Ballad, Outside of the emotional connection to Blackbird, from a pure analytical standpoint the Ballad is not cutting it.. The Guard is not doing enough during the Ballad hit there to pull the major GE score, Then going into Come Together, While the Glissando Trumpet solo is fantastic the Shout section that follows is about a 30 second park and blow where Visually the only thing going is the Guard and once again outside of Being absolutely pristine in Guard (BD) it is very very hard to pull that off and not get a comment from a Visually orientated GE judge to say, what else is going here.. 

And the short tag ending definitely feels like that won't be the Ending come ATL.