2019 Predictions!

1 hour ago, Newseditor44 said:

It's so difficult to predict what's going to happen prior to the season actually starting, but just for the fun of it I'll give it a shot. I think one thing is certain, there will be a lot of corps at the top beating up on each other this year. I don't think we'll have a runaway champ like we have the past few seasons. I expect BD and SCV to go back in forth on the left coast, and Boston to jump out to an early lead in the East. I think the Bluecoats are going to have a solid season and climb a bit before ultimately giving way to SCV. And Crown, Cavaliers and Boston will trade blows at the end of the season.  Crown's design issues the past two seasons will come back to haunt them again, but the young percussion will line will continue to build on their recent success. The big surprise will come at the bottom, with Spirit and Music City making their way into the top 12. 

1. SCV - Good reports coming from early camps, they have the talent and the design team to pull off back to back championships. 

2. Bluecoats - Last year's group learned quite a bit (as did the design team), should be an up year for Bloooo

3. BD - All three corps at the top will remain within a point of each other going into Nationals, and stay that way all through the week. BD wins brass and CG, but SCV and Blooo beat them in GE. 

4. Boston - Boston becomes the beast of the East, putting distance between themselves 

5. Cavaliers - The green machine stays solid in the early season with some key victories, but ultimately can't keep up

6. Carolina Crown -  A young brass and percussion section, along with continued design issues will push this group further away from a medal this season. Based on the competition, sixth won't be as bad as it sounds. 

7. Phantom Regiment - The black and white team is headed back in the right direction with a solid show.

8. Cadets - an organization is more stable and the design team has a full year to gel. Despite an eighth-place finish, this will be a successful year for the corps as they continue to rebuild. 

9. Blue Knights - I want to forget what I saw in 2018 and hope that BK can get back to something a bit more crowd friendly, like their 2017 show.

10. Blue Stars - Just because

11. Spirit of Atlanta - Spirit is heading in the right direction. 

12. Music City - The big surprise of the year. This might be a year or two early, but I see good things coming from this group. 

These placement predictions seem pretty reasonable to me... especially given this early juncture, and Corps staffers are just putting their Show Designs together. I might put the Mandarins still in the TOP 12 for 2019, as I don't think last year's creative Show Design was a fluke for such a talented staff they have there. But who knows.. Music City could surprise us too, as you have them making Finals in this their 2nd year of World Class Div. competition. They did have an audience friendly show last season, so we'll see if they can bottle that enthusiasm for the Show and translate into momentum for them as they head into this season. I think its a long shot here though. I do agree that Spirit of Atlanta seemed to come out stronger than many of us thought last season.  Crossmen out of Finals ? Who knows. There is a cloud hanging over this organization at the moment, imo. So we'll see with what effects that may or may not have with them.The battle for Finals spots should prove very interesting and competitive once again, with several Corps potentially in the hunt there.

Edited by BRASSO

6 hours ago, BRASSO said:

These placement predictions seem pretty reasonable to me... especially given this early juncture, and Corps staffers are just putting their Show Designs together. I might put the Mandarins still in the TOP 12 for 2019, as I don't think last year's creative Show Design was a fluke for such a talented staff they have there. But who knows.. Music City could surprise us too, as you have them making Finals in this their 2nd year of World Class Div. competition. They did have an audience friendly show last season, so we'll see if they can bottle that enthusiasm for the Show and translate into momentum for them as they head into this season. I think its a long shot here though. I do agree that Spirit of Atlanta seemed to come out stronger than many of us thought last season.  Crossmen out of Finals ? Who knows. There is a cloud hanging over this organization at the moment, imo. So we'll see with what effects that may or may not have with them.The battle for Finals spots should prove very interesting and competitive once again, with several Corps potentially in the hunt there.

I feel like those 11/12th place spots could be anyone's game for Crossmen, Phantom, Music City, Academy, Spirit, or Colts, maybe Music City the least likely but stranger things have happened

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Cascadia said:

I feel like those 11/12th place spots could be anyone's game for Crossmen, Phantom, Music City, Academy, Spirit, or Colts, maybe Music City the least likely but stranger things have happened

Music City has had a great first couple of first camps. Over 200 brass at tryouts and they're bringing back the same creative team. Anytime you have Robert W. Smith writing your book, you're bound to have a good show. I think Finals is probably ambitious, but stranger things have happened. We're going to be talking about this group quite a bit in the next few years. 

• Like 5

46 minutes ago, Newseditor44 said:

Music City has had a great first couple of first camps. Over 200 brass at tryouts and they're bringing back the same creative team. Anytime you have Robert W. Smith writing your book, you're bound to have a good show. I think Finals is probably ambitious, but stranger things have happened. We're going to be talking about this group quite a bit in the next few years. 

Renowned hip, young, talented professional Trombonist Christopher Bill visited Music City camp recently. ( I admit it, I had to google who he was when I heard he'd be there however... haha!)  Anyway, Music City clip from recent camp, with Bill performing a bit with them in brass ensemble:

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, Ghost said:

Yes, since 777 was two spots to low in 17 I could have, but I was feeling charitable at the moment.  

Well the other one was Cadets drop in placement was also incorrect