2019 Predictions!

1 hour ago, Jeff Ream said:

new? no. Taken on more and more prominence in the last 10-15 years? yes, I'd say more than ever since about 2010. 

I think it may have had more weight than some may have thought going back even 30 years or more BUT in ones face and prominent  in the past decade or 2..sure

A decade or 2 to us ( well me ) is a short time, todays age-outs were just born 2 decades ago...lol

Back to predictions...lol

Edited by GUARDLING

9 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

new? no. Taken on more and more prominence in the last 10-15 years? yes, I'd say more than ever since about 2010. 

I'd agree with this assessment as well. Some of it can be attributed to the influences of Winter Guard International, where several of the DCI Show Programmers, Guard, Visual instructors... and even judges... have either gotten their start in the Performing Arts there, or work there currently now. The accelerated influences of WGI upon DCI, particularly the last 10-15 years, is quite visible and unmistakable.... all the way down to the props and even attire being worn in many cases. For DCI history buffs here, note that " Guard " for decades in DCI did not have their separate caption, not their own judge on the DCI judging sheets. But the influence of WGI folks within DCI were able to prevail upon the others and both propose, then secure a separate caption,  and with that,  its own Judge soon followed. Since then, the acceleration of the Guard/ Visual upon both the Show Designs as well as the sheets and the scoring began to increasingly manifest itself, imo.

I predict that these 10-15 year noticeable trends will continue and accelerate over the next few years as well. Things DO change as we frequently hear, and DCI Corps Show Designs are naturally shaped by the training and experiences of its people.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, Hook'emCavies said:

After seeing who The Cavaliers just hired.... Cavies still win 🙂

mammal vertebrate grass dog like mammal

• Haha 3

8 minutes ago, Hook'emCavies said:

Haha! Love it

It was out of love

• Haha 1

On 4/3/2019 at 9:08 AM, BRASSO said:

I'd agree with this assessment as well. Some of it can be attributed to the influences of Winter Guard International, where several of the DCI Show Programmers, Guard, Visual instructors... and even judges... have either gotten their start in the Performing Arts there, or work there currently now. The accelerated influences of WGI upon DCI, particularly the last 10-15 years, is quite visible and unmistakable.... all the way down to the props and even attire being worn in many cases. For DCI history buffs here, note that " Guard " for decades in DCI did not have their separate caption, not their own judge on the DCI judging sheets. But the influence of WGI folks within DCI were able to prevail upon the others and both propose, then secure a separate caption,  and with that,  its own Judge soon followed. Since then, the acceleration of the Guard/ Visual upon both the Show Designs as well as the sheets and the scoring began to increasingly manifest itself, imo.

I predict that these 10-15 year noticeable trends will continue and accelerate over the next few years as well. Things DO change as we frequently hear, and DCI Corps Show Designs are naturally shaped by the training and experiences of its people.

the guard didn't have a separate caption, but it bled over into every visual sheet, and in several cases dominated them. I remember hearing complaints 20 years ago that GE wasn't just a guard sheet. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

the guard didn't have a separate caption, but it bled over into every visual sheet, and in several cases dominated them. I remember hearing complaints 20 years ago that GE wasn't just a guard sheet. 

100% correct. it even was talked about on music tapes I remember...vividly. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jeff Ream said:

Also,BITD, it was a bit uncommon to see a soloist in the show from the Guard section. Corps had a few of them, but mostly the soloists were from a musical instrument section, most typically the Brass section, not the Guard.

Fast forward to today, and in the age of Themes, it is very likely that the Guard will be most prominent in advancing that Theme to the audience, and most especially to the Judges.. It is not unusual now at all to see a soloist that advances that theme to come from the Guard section now. Sometimes as a featured Dancer. Sometimes as a Singer soloist. We still have brass soloists, and even on some brief ocasions, a soloist in the show from the Drumline. But the emergence of the Guard for prominent solos now is unmistakable. Some soloists in the show from the Guard section now are featured as soloists not briefly, but throughout half to as much as almost the entire show too... front and center. Brass, nor Percussion soloists, arn't hardly ever, if at all,  featured for half or 3/4ths of shows. The reason for this.. clearly, imo.. is that Corps believe they have the potential now to generate more build up points on today's sheets ( especially GE Visual ) featuring these performers from this section of the Corps now.... more so than ever before too, imo,.. The emergence of the prominence of the " Visual ", ie the Guard sections on the scoring sheets,  mirror and track that of the emergence of wholesale stated Show Themes in Drum Corps shows in the late 80's's... and has accelerated into even more prominence today and since then, imo.

Edited by BRASSO