2019 Predictions!

19 hours ago, Ediker said:

Propapalooza... with the focus on bigger more dramatic props, will we see the first major injury involving a prop in 2019?  

The bigger well-funded corps are likely taking reasonable precautions concerning design, construction, and best practices... but what about younger groups trying to emulate the top?  What if someone stumbled off an SCV-like platform (say, while attempting a back flip)?  What if someone (like a judge) got stuck under a Crown-like rocker?  How many of these props would pass OSHA standards?  The #### will hit Boston’s spinning compass the day someone gets hurt. 

Typically, the corp member(s)...lets just say for example the teeter-totter CG's in Crown, signed a letter of declaration that they were responsible and could perform the stunt to their level of skill and safety. That was then signed off on by the board of directors. I would assume when it comes to unconventional props and the potential for injury, this would be a standard practice. Regardless, doing a stationary back-flip on a platform w/ wheels and no padding while 8ft off the ground (a la SCV)...not for the faint of heart. So a tip of the cap to all those young men and women who do those things for the GE they garner and the crowd reactions they receive. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, DCIDADDIO said:

Typically, the corp member(s)...lets just say for example the teeter-totter CG's in Crown, signed a letter of declaration that they were responsible and could perform the stunt to their level of skill and safety. That was then signed off on by the board of directors. I would assume when it comes to unconventional props and the potential for injury, this would be a standard practice. Regardless, doing a stationary back-flip on a platform w/ wheels and no padding while 8ft off the ground (a la SCV)...not for the faint of heart. So a tip of the cap to all those young men and women who do those things for the GE they garner and the crowd reactions they receive. 

I like the letter of declaration.   For <18 year old members, parents are likely included.  Loved all of the coolness on display this season.  With SCV, specifically, I would have preferred to see one or more marching members directly behind the prop to spot, and help break a fall if needed.  These kids clearly knew what they were doing.  I just want to prevent any upward pressure on the need to do such tricks.  Leave it to Cirque du Soleil.  

1 minute ago, Ediker said:

I like the letter of declaration.   For <18 year old members, parents are likely included.  Loved all of the coolness on display this season.  With SCV, specifically, I would have preferred to see one or more marching members directly behind the prop to spot, and help break a fall if needed.  These kids clearly knew what they were doing.  I just want to prevent any upward pressure on the need to do such tricks.  Leave it to Cirque du Soleil.  

True words. Turns out the guy on SCV is a former USA Jr. Olympic National Gymnast and a World Champion cheerleader. He was interviewed at the Atlanta SE Regional, and they said he had a lot of knives in his arsenal. 

• Like 1

On 8/12/2018 at 7:53 PM, corps8294 said:

1. Santa Clara Vanguard
2. Blue Devils
3. Bluecoats
4. Boston Crusaders
5. Carolina Crown
6. Cadets
7. Cavaliers
8. Blue Stars
9. Blue Knights
10. Mandarins
11. Phantom Regiment
12. Crossmen
13. Academy
14. Spirit of Atlanta
15. Madison Scouts (Depending on what changes are made. No changes, no 15th place)
16. Colts
17. Santa Clara Vanguard Cadets
18. Troopers
19. Blue Devils B
20. Gold
21. Pacific Crest
22. Music City
23. Genesis
24. Legends
25. Spartans
26. Oregon Crusaders
27. 7th Regiment
28. Seattle Cascades
29. Guardians
30. Jersey Surf
31. Golden Empire
32. Shadow
33. Pioneer

Yes, this makes sense. I said this a couple of years ago. I see California dominance coming again for several years in taking the gold. The only other organization that can possibly compete with the West coast would be Blue Coats.

BD

SCV

BAC

Bloo

Crown

Cadets

Cavs

that's as far as I go.  

• Like 1

I know nothing, but...

1) Bloo
2) BD
3) SCV
4) BAC
5) Crown
6) Cadets
7) Cavaliers
8) Mandarins
9) Stars
10) PR
11) BK
12) Spirit
13) Xmen
14) Academy
15) Scouts

If I had to bet money, I'd wager that BD's winning pattern is over. Of course I could be wrong, but it's so competitive at the top that the odds seem more against them than ever. Other than that I don't really feel confident in any "predictions," except for (possibly) Cadets gaining some momentum back and Mandarins retaining or improving on theirs. Whatever happens, I think it will be another great year for drum corps. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1