2019 Predictions!

14 hours ago, LabMaster said:

True.  But whomever nails a performance that night could win it, so why not Boston? It’s not like they finished several points back. And I’m telling you, they will come out strong.  Their brass line is for real, guard is picking up where they left off and percussion will impress. 

with todays system and the adding together and averaging, the only captions that can truly make an impact on the total outcome is GE. An 8 tenth spread in drums for example can be softened when added with brass and ME then all averaged together. See Crown 13

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, DFA1970 said:

I always think the first two weeks of drum corps as kinda pre-season of competitions until regionals.

This is also true, 

Normally the first two weeks are just regional judges, Whoever DCI can get to a show they get them there. Once the Regionals roll around, The Judges who will be there for Finals Week start to establish the order and at times contradict what has been the NORM.. established during the first couple of shows. 

So While First impressions account for something, What really matters is where the Finals Level Judges group the corps..

I predict there are going to be 12 placed in finals. :notme:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, LabMaster said:

I looked at it this way:  This experienced and proven staff is in their 3rd season together, they had an excellent recruiting year and the overall talent level throughout the entire corps is unquestionably up. They were fairly close at Finals.  Bloo 96.95, Crown 95.5, Boston 94.313 only 2.637 apart.  Boston will need to show they belong in the mix and I think they will do just that.  We'll know soon enough. I'd love to hear what the thoughts are after tomorrow night.

At finals, where the points are essentially ordinals, and there are 22 subcaptions, 2.6 is a wide gap.  Essentially unchanged from the 3 points Boston trailed Bloo in Detroit. 

Boston's staff is excellent, but they are not immune to missteps.  2018's show was excellently constructed and the ending is a never-fail spine tingler.  As @Jeff Ream points out, GE has the most impact on outcome.  In spite of the many things the designers got right in 2018, doubling up on the previous year's gimmicks, while artistically appropriate, failed on Originality and Creativity... words that come directly from the GE Visual score sheet.  It was painful to watch Boston in a dead heat for 5-6, while unable to even dent corps 1-4 in GE scores.  I wanted them to be more competitive.  The judges just weren't buying it.  

By all indications, it appears that mistake will not be repeated.  Goliath can put Boston back on track.  I can't wait to see/hear the great things in store for this summer.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, craiga said:

If I recall correctly, I THINK this season is a return to full judging panels beginning with Day 1.  If so, that should give us a better early numbers management than in the past.  If I am not correct, please tell me....really!  :)

And are the percussion judges off the field now? 

12 minutes ago, LabMaster said:

I think ALL the judges are either on the sidelines or press box. None actually on the field with the members. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ediker said:

At finals, where the points are essentially ordinals, and there are 22 subcaptions, 2.6 is a wide gap.  Essentially unchanged from the 3 points Boston trailed Bloo in Detroit. 

Boston's staff is excellent, but they are not immune to missteps.  2018's show was excellently constructed and the ending is a never-fail spine tingler.  As @Jeff Ream points out, GE has the most impact on outcome.  In spite of the many things the designers got right in 2018, doubling up on the previous year's gimmicks, while artistically appropriate, failed on Originality and Creativity... words that come directly from the GE Visual score sheet.  It was painful to watch Boston in a dead heat for 5-6, while unable to even dent corps 1-4 in GE scores.  I wanted them to be more competitive.  The judges just weren't buying it.  

By all indications, it appears that mistake will not be repeated.  Goliath can put Boston back on track.  I can't wait to see/hear the great things in store for this summer.  

I think the improvement in brass last year was a hard sell for Boston, where corps above, had established track records and acceptance from the judging community.  Same for percussion.  So to crack the upper tier is difficult as has been mentioned several  times over the year;  "harder to break into the top three than to get to 4th". 

For the "gimmick" doubling, it was only one element so I'm not agreeing completely, but there is validity to an extent.  Hoping that Goliath is not putting them on track, but rather keeping them on track and trajectory.  Thanks for the discussion.  This season can't start soon enough.  Lot of good things we are hearing about everyone.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, LabMaster said:

I believe the perc judges are off the field BUT still at field level.

18 minutes ago, LabMaster said:

I think the improvement in brass last year was a hard sell for Boston, where corps above, had established track records and acceptance from the judging community.  Same for percussion.  So to crack the upper tier is difficult as has been mentioned several  times over the year;  "harder to break into the top three than to get to 4th".

The brass line was excellent and was achieving the book by nationals.  They struggled with the difficult tempos until late in the season.  The corps who beat them were nailing their books earlier in the season, which gave them more time to adjust and polish.  Percussion (4th at finals) was pretty darn good.  The sections are strong.  If the show gets them in the ballpark, these sections will be competitive.  

31 minutes ago, LabMaster said:

For the "gimmick" doubling, it was only one element so I'm not agreeing completely, but there is validity to an extent.  Hoping that Goliath is not putting them on track, but rather keeping them on track and trajectory.  Thanks for the discussion.  This season can't start soon enough.  Lot of good things we are hearing about everyone.

The drill words were the second gimmick.  Fire and drill spelling were each done once in 2017's show.  They were very effective, and were the most photographed images of that show (and possibly any show that year).  By contrast, 2018 had TWO fires and at least FOUR words/phrases in the drill... a miss on the "Variety of Effects" and "Creativity/Originality" sections of the GE Visual scoresheet.  Each repeat (in the same show) of spelling was a missed opportunity to create a new/original/creative visual effect.  This is a capable staff.  Lots of excellence was on display in the 2018 show.  The top 3, however, were much better at "designing to the sheets".

6 minutes ago, Ediker said:

The brass line was excellent and was achieving the book by nationals.  They struggled with the difficult tempos until late in the season.  The corps who beat them were nailing their books earlier in the season, which gave them more time to adjust and polish.  Percussion (4th at finals) was pretty darn good.  The sections are strong.  If the show gets them in the ballpark, these sections will be competitive.  

The drill words were the second gimmick.  Fire and drill spelling were each done once in 2017's show.  They were very effective, and were the most photographed images of that show (and possibly any show that year).  By contrast, 2018 had TWO fires and at least FOUR words/phrases in the drill... a miss on the "Variety of Effects" and "Creativity/Originality" sections of the GE Visual scoresheet.  Each repeat (in the same show) of spelling was a missed opportunity to create a new/original/creative visual effect.  This is a capable staff.  Lots of excellence was on display in the 2018 show.  The top 3, however, were much better at "designing to the sheets".

C'mon now, they were different words (variety) and they were spelled correctly.  "Found" was pretty cool.  But I get your point.  Maybe no words this year.  Just slingshots.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1