Recommended Posts

On 8/12/2018 at 10:23 AM, Liahona said:

Boston will medal.

Yup I agree with this guy....lol

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

Speaking only as this particular Bluecoats fan, I will say I don’t naysay out of respect. Of course BAC can rise. I predict they will.

Classy!

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, corps8294 said:

Ummm, what about 1972? 

we'll call it... a... sort of... 'statute of limitations' 😉

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

Speaking only as this particular Bluecoats fan, I will say I don’t naysay out of respect. Of course BAC can rise. I predict they will.

As a Bluecoat... Same.

They are getting there the good old fashioned way.  Recruiting, design, strategy, and goal setting.

If they don't rise, it will only happen because the rest of the contending field is tough.  On a material level (talent and staffing), I see no reason why they couldn't win at this point (along with a handful of others).

  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So here's an interesting tidbit that I'm not sure if it has been discussed earlier.

Going back to 2005 the last DCI Champions other than Blue Devils are; Cadets 2005, Cavies 2006, Phantom 2008, Cadets 2011, Crown 2013, Bluecoats 2016

The placements of those Championship corps the following year, With the Championship hype, the influx of age-out talent looking for Gold, the same DCI Championship design teams;

Cadets 2006 - 5th

Cavies 2007 - 3rd   

Phantom 2009 - 9th

Cadets 2012 - 4th

Crown 2014 - 5th

Bluecoats 2017 - 5th

That is an average of 5th place for all DCI Champions on their repeat campaign. I mentioned this before in the forum, but the absolute hardest thing to do in all of Marching arts is to repeat as a DCI Champion. There is so much pressure on the corps to be great again and the only way to win again is to completely re-invent yourself and present a completely different unique Innovative way to design. Many designers know this so they take a shot with something that is out there, and many times it is a new area that has a hard time being rewarded by judges because a corps has a hard time achieving excellence. Or a design team takes the other route and tries to Part Deux of the championship show and it feels stale, unimaginative.

History is not SCV's side to repeat let alone Medal again. But Michael Gaines was the force behind the last corps other than the Blue Devils to repeat the The Early 2000's Cavaliers.

If anyone is going to get the design right it is him, But it will take a very special show.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok, here is a stab at it.  Regardless of place, its most important that the kids have a great learning experience.  At its deepest level,  what matters in the end is not place, but the experience of the activity.  All are truly winners!!  (In pairings of 3 ie.. 1-3, 4-6 etc.. corps could be in any order in their paring in the end)  Its going to be a very competitive summer!)  

15.  Academy

14. Colts

13. Spirit

12.  Phantom

11. Crossmen

10. Blue Knights

9. Mandarins

8. Cadets

7. Blue Stars

6. Cavaliers

5. Bluecoats

4. Crown

3. BAC

2. BD 

1. SCV

Edited by brians

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My prediction for DCI Detroit 6/20/19:

 

1. Boston 71.2

2.Bluecoats 71.0

3. Cadets 69.1

4. Crown 69.0

5.Blue Stars 68.5

6. Phantom Regiment 67.0

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, craiga said:

My prediction for DCI Detroit 6/20/19:

 

1. Boston 71.2

2.Bluecoats 71.0

3. Cadets 69.1

4. Crown 69.0

5.Blue Stars 68.5

6. Phantom Regiment 67.0

Lol. You made a funny.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Glenn426 said:

So here's an interesting tidbit that I'm not sure if it has been discussed earlier.

Going back to 2005 the last DCI Champions other than Blue Devils are; Cadets 2005, Cavies 2006, Phantom 2008, Cadets 2011, Crown 2013, Bluecoats 2016

The placements of those Championship corps the following year, With the Championship hype, the influx of age-out talent looking for Gold, the same DCI Championship design teams;

Cadets 2006 - 5th

Cavies 2007 - 3rd   

Phantom 2009 - 9th

Cadets 2012 - 4th

Crown 2014 - 5th

Bluecoats 2017 - 5th

That is an average of 5th place for all DCI Champions on their repeat campaign. I mentioned this before in the forum, but the absolute hardest thing to do in all of Marching arts is to repeat as a DCI Champion. There is so much pressure on the corps to be great again and the only way to win again is to completely re-invent yourself and present a completely different unique Innovative way to design. Many designers know this so they take a shot with something that is out there, and many times it is a new area that has a hard time being rewarded by judges because a corps has a hard time achieving excellence. Or a design team takes the other route and tries to Part Deux of the championship show and it feels stale, unimaginative.

History is not SCV's side to repeat let alone Medal again. But Michael Gaines was the force behind the last corps other than the Blue Devils to repeat the The Early 2000's Cavaliers.

If anyone is going to get the design right it is him, But it will take a very special show.

SCV is a different animal IMO 

there my pick to win again - maybe 2nd 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Have no clue about placements just yet. I couldn't even make an educated guess just yet. Just haven't seen enough.

Boston Crusaders: heard the park concert and that brass line and percussion section are really good and I love the music book. Have not seen any visual but my guess is Boston will be a top 5 corps once again, and may shoot higher. 

Blue Devils: I've heard a few tidbits of the music book and I saw part of the show from a low angle way off to the side. I believe the show is going to be fun and full of great effect. The quality will be typical BD, which is to say fantastic playing, marching, and spinning as always. The show is in very rough form at the moment, and even the brass line sounded rough while on the move. But this is typical BD in the early stages. They tend to have chunks of the show on the field as a bedrock but many of the layers and transitions are not in just yet. So it's tough to read many early-season shows for this reason...BD included.  I do believe they are working on what will be a fantastic production. 

Carolina Crown: I love this show and it will likely grow even more on me. Their brass line sounds like they want that OTT back, and the music arrangements are very sweet to the ears. Lots of demand and incredible speed in the visual. They seem to be marching a more traditional drill for large portions of the show, mixed in with their staging and body movement. For those that have seen the video of their show on YT, check out the opener once again and focus in on their legs. They are really marching well for this time in June. I believe their scores will reflect their cleanliness in the first two segments of their show, along with the excellent GE and solid caption strength. The question will be whether their GE (which is really good for my initial viewing) can grow as the season progresses, because I believe the caption strength in brass, percussion, and guard, along with that visual program is good enough to propel them to a title. 

Have not seen anything on Blooo yet, and I live in North Canton. Have not seen anything on Cadets or SCV as well, plus many others. Looking forward to the season.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.