2019 Predictions!

7 minutes ago, queenanne_1536 said:

Yes, Gaines was a critical component. He's an absolute genius. No one is denying that. He was a key player in Vanguard's success the last to years. No one is denying any of this. But, he's not the end all, be all, however. He's not the only reason they won the championship. Yes, they were in the 4-5th place range, but particularly in 2013 and 2014 they were a breath away from a top 3 finish. In 2015, their design was elevated to that of a corps that was trying to win, not a corps that was trying to place 4th or 5th. It didn't work out for them, but it was one of those "take a step back before you can move forward" years. Gaines was a great acquisition, but they couldn't have achieved 2017 and 2018 without the rest of their star team. All that said, Gaines is the first person I would want on my team, but I would then need to fill it with other stars that line the top corps staffing ranks.

I feel like you're arguing with me for the sake of it. You essentially just said the same thing I said 

1 minute ago, Cappybara said:

Yeah definitely has nothing to do with the staff that's been together for a couple decades

I agree. BD's success is largely due to their staff (talent plays a role, too, of course). The thing with BD, is they don't really make mistakes from a design perspective. Sure, some years are better than others, but since 2006 they have not had any design issues that took them out of contention for the title. That's 12 years in a row that they have either won or had a legit chance to win. That is really remarkable. No one else has even come remotely close to doing that.

I have absolute faith that Vanguard is going to break the trend of defending champions falling to 5th place. Because I believe in their staff and the last time anyone dominated BD in the fashion SCV did last year was 2006. But, I learned never to count BD out (only a fool would), so I believe that streak is going to continue for the 13th year in a row. Sometime, that will end and BD will drop, but whether that's today or 30 years from now, I do not know.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

I feel like you're arguing with me for the sake of it. You essentially just said the same thing I said 

I'm not. I'm sorry, I missed your last sentence in the post I quoted. Too distracted at work.

5 hours ago, Glenn426 said:

So here's an interesting tidbit that I'm not sure if it has been discussed earlier.

Going back to 2005 the last DCI Champions other than Blue Devils are; Cadets 2005, Cavies 2006, Phantom 2008, Cadets 2011, Crown 2013, Bluecoats 2016

The placements of those Championship corps the following year, With the Championship hype, the influx of age-out talent looking for Gold, the same DCI Championship design teams;

Cadets 2006 - 5th

Cavies 2007 - 3rd   

Phantom 2009 - 9th

Cadets 2012 - 4th

Crown 2014 - 5th

Bluecoats 2017 - 5th

That is an average of 5th place for all DCI Champions on their repeat campaign. I mentioned this before in the forum, but the absolute hardest thing to do in all of Marching arts is to repeat as a DCI Champion. There is so much pressure on the corps to be great again and the only way to win again is to completely re-invent yourself and present a completely different unique Innovative way to design. Many designers know this so they take a shot with something that is out there, and many times it is a new area that has a hard time being rewarded by judges because a corps has a hard time achieving excellence. Or a design team takes the other route and tries to Part Deux of the championship show and it feels stale, unimaginative.

History is not SCV's side to repeat let alone Medal again. But Michael Gaines was the force behind the last corps other than the Blue Devils to repeat the The Early 2000's Cavaliers.

If anyone is going to get the design right it is him, But it will take a very special show.

Actually what can happen is that you win one year, then the next year the corps takes a huge risk in some way resulting in a lower placement.  Cadets 1990 to 1991 was an example of this.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, queenanne_1536 said:

I almost mentioned 1993 as well. 1991 BD is one of my favorite BD shows too, but yes 1993 was amazing from a musical performance standpoint as well. Some were surprised by their dominance in 1994. I wasn't. 

There were some critical additions to staff that started to make everything click around 1992.  I believe that's when Ramiro Barrera started to move the team in a more thematic design with his program direction.  Big Daddy was also getting better at design to his now current role as Program Coordinator.  He made an immediate impact when he joined BD in 1990.  In 1994, ScoJo returned from his stint at SCV.  The percussion pendulum also swung back more in terms of groups that emphasized technical difficulty but were also more musical as well.  Scott Kotex (errr...I mean Koter) and his group emphasizing the way percussion was judged in late 80s into the 90s was one of the reasons Tom Float's lines were not scoring as well.  The one that made a huge difference was Todd Ryan.  The marching program at BD was like night and day after he joined.  You can even throw the Glydes and Meehan and their growth in there as well.  Not to mention Doucette who I believe was there even before Chandler.  

So there are individuals who make big differences and impacts for all groups even BD.  I don't put anything past SCV now that Gaines is there.  I think that's why they're very protective of this design team even though there are grumblings out there.  I'll leave it at that.  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Ghost said:

Which has benefited the BD, SCV, for decades.

Oh are we just stating the obvious now? 

Capybaras are the largest rodents on this planet. Thought I'd contribute 

Edited by Cappybara
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

Capybaras are the largest rodents on this planet. ... 

We're all a legend in our own myth.  Have a nice summer.

Edited by xandandl
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Ghost said:

I was hoping you might have typed "money, just like it's helped the BD and SCV for decades."

Why would I talk about other corps when the question I was answering was specifically about Boston?

BD and SCV take enough of the spotlight from BAC as it is 

• Like 3