2019 Predictions!

3 hours ago, cfirwin3 said:

Don't misunderstand me.  In fact, I pointed to the truth (that we have been close to, but have not yet seen) that a corps could be consistent in all captions without winning any and still win.  Bluecoats are relatively consistent.  They are good at everything, every year.  But being consistently good is not a reliable method of winning.  The reliable approach is found in what we saw from SCV last year and have seen from many champs in the past... domination of multiple captions.

The consistently good corps CAN win.  The multi-caption winning corps WILL win.

I agree with this and last year Bloo was scoring out of the top 5 in percussion for a while.  IF they had stronger scores there it could have been a game changer in the end. 

Edited by Den8uml
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, jwillis35 said:

Agree. People must remember SCV won high brass and high percussion. That contributed to the win as much as anything else. They won high guard the year before, so the guard program has jumped into contention each year as well. That helps too. And they are marching fantastic. Winning takes strong caption scores in every area, not just GE or visual design. 

Exactly. It's amazing you can win high brass and high guard and basically be overlooked as a main factor for success. Both of these staffs have won NUMEROUS championships and high caption trophies with other corps before SCV. They just put this team together in a great way with no weaknesses. I think most people would be surprised at how successful this instructional staff and caption heads were before SCV, and not including Rennick, Shaw and Gaines. Some people are flashy, some just teach their butts off.. I'll take the latter! 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Incognito365 said:

I've never been to Seattle. Been to Washington, but didn't get to go to Seattle. Was pretty upset. I love the Grunge era of music and Seattle was basically the birth place for Grunge. 90's kid for ya.

Okay, I re-read and I understand now. I do hope that the Cavaliers make a comeback. They were one of my first corps that I had ever seen a video of (I believe it was 2002) and remember thinking how pristine they looked on the field. I've never had the opportunity to see them live, but I want it to be when they are back to full force.

Completely off topic, but if you've been to Washington and not Seattle, what part have you been to.  Most people don't know any other parts exist 😛

4 minutes ago, DCIat14 said:

Completely off topic, but if you've been to Washington and not Seattle, what part have you been to.  Most people don't know any other parts exist 😛

It was over by the apple orchards in the eastern part of the state in Chelan, Washington.

• Like 1

On 6/14/2019 at 2:10 PM, Incognito365 said:

You mentioned what I had said in the Crown thread, meaning you tried to be snarky and call me out. Thats fine. I didn't say they couldn't, I said I just don't see top 3 or 4 happening this season. The scores I listed don't have anything to do with this year, but those are the scores on which to build upon for this season. 

Based upon what everyone is thinking of Crown these days, perhaps they are the David that takes out the Goliaths. Just all depends on who you're pulling for.

Deep down, beneath the surface, Boston doesn't bother me. Lol.

Have a blessed day!

So per the video of Jeff Sacktig in the Crown thread, what I have bolded and underlined in that post is the title of Crown's show.

8 hours ago, cfirwin3 said:

Don't misunderstand me.  In fact, I pointed to the truth (that we have been close to, but have not yet seen) that a corps could be consistent in all captions without winning any and still win.  Bluecoats are relatively consistent.  They are good at everything, every year.  But being consistently good is not a reliable method of winning.  The reliable approach is found in what we saw from SCV last year and have seen from many champs in the past... domination of multiple captions.

The consistently good corps CAN win.  The multi-caption winning corps WILL win.

Absolutely. Bluecoats were great in 2016, but them winning with only the GE caption was in part due to SCV and Crown also taking captions, so no one dominated the sheets. That usually only happens when BD doesn't win. In 2017 the 2016 Bluecoats would have possibly finished 3rd, and they most definitely would have finished 2nd (at best) in 2018. Winning GE would not have been enough to overcome SCV's domination. Bluecoats have only ever won one caption at any finals - GE in 2016, which I am sure you all know. If they want to win again, they are going to have to change that. There is no other path at this point, unless two corps (BD and SCV) both have off years at the same time.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, queenanne_1536 said:

Absolutely. Bluecoats were great in 2016, but them winning with only the GE caption was in part due to SCV and Crown also taking captions, so no one dominated the sheets. That usually only happens when BD doesn't win. In 2017 the 2016 Bluecoats would have possibly finished 3rd, and they most definitely would have finished 2nd (at best) in 2018. Winning GE would not have been enough to overcome SCV's domination. Bluecoats have only ever won one caption at any finals - GE in 2016, which I am sure you all know. If they want to win again, they are going to have to change that. There is no other path at this point, unless two corps (BD and SCV) both have off years at the same time.

Bluecoats won Music in 2016 as well.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, queenanne_1536 said:

Well, the other path is to have the right conditions by which captions are split up between 4 or 5 corps.  That is completely possible.  It's just more reliable to have the explicit goal to win multiple captions.  These groups are very competitive these days.  There are more contenders now than at any point since perhaps the very beginning years of the organization.

33 minutes ago, cfirwin3 said:

Well, the other path is to have the right conditions by which captions are split up between 4 or 5 corps. 

Yes, that's what I meant above in 2016 and why Bluecoats won in 2016. Going off memory here, but I think aside from Bluecoats taking GE, Vanguard took percussion, and Crown took brass, visual and guard (although BD won visual and guard on finals night). That could happen again, but you're right - the better way is to win all or most captions, like SCV did last year.