2019 Predictions!

9 hours ago, queenanne_1536 said:

Well, that's the thing - BD won guard and visual at finals, Crown didn't. That's why Crown lost. Had Crown or BD won, I wouldn't have argued otherwise, just as I won't argue Bloos win. I do understand why Bloo won, it was without a doubt the most innovative show of the season, and they without a doubt deserved High GE.

I really hate that they average championship week for caption awards. I believe it should just be based on finals night. Why not average the total scores of all three nights to determine the winner? DCI makes no sense sometimes.

Agreed. 

9 hours ago, queenanne_1536 said:

Well, that's the thing - BD won guard and visual at finals, Crown didn't. That's why Crown lost. Had Crown or BD won, I wouldn't have argued otherwise, just as I won't argue Bloos win. I do understand why Bloo won, it was without a doubt the most innovative show of the season, and they without a doubt deserved High GE.

I really hate that they average championship week for caption awards. I believe it should just be based on finals night. Why not average the total scores of all three nights to determine the winner? DCI makes no sense sometimes.

Also old school scores were averaged for the medals. 

On 6/20/2019 at 12:50 PM, queenanne_1536 said:

I've always said it should be a weighted score of the three nights. Finals night should be 50%, semis should be 30% and quarterfinals should be 20%

• Like 1

Take your favorite top two corps for the last two years from the top seven; subtract their first score from their finals score, and you’ll have an idea of how many points they need before finals.  They will need 98 if they want to win.  Do they have the show this year to get an additional 3-4 points?  If their average is around 25-26 points gained before finals, and their first score this year is 2+ points higher than their average, they may have a shot of moving up.  Purely a non scientific post!

Edited by Ghost
  • Like 2

30 minutes ago, DrumManTx said:

If Spirit of Atlanta looks as good as they sound, they're gonna be making a few corps sweat.  I'm very excited to see how they do on Monday.

I can't wait!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cappybara said:

I've always said it should be a weighted score of the three nights. Finals night should be 50%, semis should be 30% and quarterfinals should be 20%

Your idea is interesting. I think it should just be consistent. If captions are over three nights then it's weird that the title isn't. I prefer finals night only. That's the last night. If it wasn't just finals night then Regiment wouldn't have won in 1996 or 2008, and I think those surprises are fun and good for the activity. 

• Like 1

On 6/19/2019 at 12:16 PM, Cappybara said:

SCV has had Shaw, Rennick, and a host of excellent instructional staff that kept them in the 4-5th place range. The game changer? Gaines. I'm not saying their championship was solely him but it certainly wouldn't have happened without him. 

Yep, all old Regiment staff. Too bad PR couldn't keep 'em.

• Like 1

On 6/14/2019 at 12:23 PM, cfirwin3 said:

1. SCV

2. Bluecoats / BD

3. Bluecoats / BD

4. Cavaliers

5. Boston

6. Crown

So far... I would only flip Boston and Crown for sure.  I think the actual gap between Boston and Crown is wider than the gap between Cavies and BD... and I think we will see it soon (Boston is not contending for a medal but the rest are).  Boston's guard is going to help the GE winner lock in the first spot (if SCV starts sharing captions... otherwise Vanguard is looking pretty comfortable after only one read).

I might be compelled to put Cavies below Crown, but they put up a good fight in some important captions last night... so it's unclear to me.

In a bit of a contradiction, Crown could be as high as 2nd but I don't see Cavies higher than 3rd (that's assuming that Crown is actually as competitive with Bloo as the judges said they were... and assuming that Crown may win brass at the big dance).

But I feel pretty good about those top 3 spots right now.

SCV is playing the domination game again... which I expected.  So unless we find out that Crown or Bloo pushes them on Brass, GE or a combination of the 2... They are the same organization that ended last season... coming back for more.

I think BD is in an era now where 4 or 5 corps are technically as well rounded as they are.  BD hasn't suffered a bit, they just have a lot more company where they are at.

NOTE: Please don't give me some line about how early it is, how first reads are not the best reads, or how these shows are more than half the continent apart.  This is a prediction thread and I am merely playing the game with the limited but real data that we have. 😉

Edited by cfirwin3
  • Like 2