2019 Predictions!

10 minutes ago, kalad's_phantoms_regiment said:

Out of curiosity which four of the top 6 do you think have potential for growth? Because right now it looks like all six of them do.

Now this is just my observation so just allow me my opinion. As far as first shows go the following groups have the foundation in place to add a lot more of both design ideas and show concept development. My order, thank you! No arguments please, I’m in no mood for it after Stephan ate the last bagel this morning  

Boston, Devils, Cavaliers and Bluecoats. 

Edited by Poppycock
  • Like 6
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, Poppycock said:

Now this is just my observation so just allow me my opinion. As far as first shows go the following groups have the foundation in place to add a lot more of both design ideas and show concept development. My order, thank you! No arguments please, I’m in no mood for it after Stephan ate the last bagel this morning  

Stephan is such a scoundrel!  

• Haha 4

4 minutes ago, kalad's_phantoms_regiment said:

Out of curiosity which four of the top 6 do you think have potential for growth? Because right now it looks like all six of them do.

SCV is the top, so not them.  And then I would guess Boston.  The others have a history of staging MAJOR changes ahead of time.

BD, Crown, Bloo, Cavies all likely have mulitple alternative sections that were written and being staged for swapping through the season.

Boston might too (but they aren't known for it).

On the other hand, Boston has the greatest technical potential for improvement.  SCV, BD, Crown and Bloo have the least (probably in that order).

2 minutes ago, Poppycock said:

Yeah no hostility intended, I was just genuinely curious. I don't have a good enough concept of Cavies' show after one viewing to really have an opinion there, but I definitely agree on the other three. I think that SCV and Crown have some room to grow too (besides the obvious addition of a finished closer for SCV), but maybe less so in the case of Crown. Looking forward to seeing where all six of them end up (both design-wise and in placements) in August!

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, cfirwin3 said:

SCV is the top, so not them.  And then I would guess Boston.  The others have a history of staging MAJOR changes ahead of time.

BD, Crown, Bloo, Cavies all likely have mulitple alternative sections that were written and being staged for swapping through the season.

Boston might too (but they aren't known for it).

On the other hand, Boston has the greatest technical potential for improvement.  SCV, BD, Crown and Bloo have the least (probably in that order).

I think that SCV might have a few changes up their sleeve, but we'll see. As far as Boston, you're right that they don't make as many huge changes during the season, but I think the changes Goliath needs are really similar to the changes SOS got during the season, so I'm optimistic. I totally agree on BD, Bloo, and Cavies - less sure about Crown but I'm excited to see what they do with it! That show feels the most like a "finished" (or nearly finished) product to me, though (not that I think it's a stronger show than others in the top 6, I just don't see as many design changes coming).

With the first two shows where the most likely top six have competed, we're seeing an array of predictions. People have already decided it will be Santa Clara over Blue Devils, and I agree. However, winning in Clovis with a close score does not settle things. Last year in Clovis, Blue Devils beat Santa Clara by a similar margin.

No question Bloo is the favorite. DCI certainly has Bloo's back. Dan Potter in his podcast was more excited about Bloo and their Beatles show than the screaming teenaged girls in the audience of the Ed Sullivan show when the Beatles performed. I will admit I enjoyed the show and they will be the audience favorite. I'm not sure they will be an automatic medal contender. Crown's show has power, it was also a bit of a mess, not uncommon for Crown at this time of the year and they would love to earn another top 3 palcement. Lots of potential for them. Boston Crusaders seem to pick up steam around mid-July and it is full speed ahead come Atlanta. If they are this strong, this early, and past trends continue, who knows what will happen. If last night's score is not an example of "West Coast Inflation" and I have no reason to believe it is, then they have a bit more fire in their bellies than some of us thought.

Based on reports and what I have seen, I do predict SCV to win ,and I do not expect to see BD fall from medal contention.  However I see either Crown or BAC battling it out for the remaining medal spot. My gut feelin g is that Bloo's show does not have last year's punch. The one I think could upset the entire apple cart is Cavies.  

• Like 1

Okay so it looks like either 2-6 or 1-5 are going to be tight. Won't know until they all meet up if SCV has the edge or Cavies are a tick behind.

Also going to be interesting to see the Mandarins vs Cadets head to head for the first time (wow who would have thought any of us would ever say that). 

The Mandarins sound REALLY GOOD. The Cadets show got taken down before I had a chance to see it.

• Like 1

The top six as of now this year is pretty incredible.  Going in order of placement last year:

• SCVs show is maybe not my cup of tea out the gate but holy crap they are a good corps.  I don't see them falling out of the medals.
  • Blue Devils show has strong bones, but they know what to do.  They'll layer and develop their show into something pretty incredible I'm sure.
  • Bluecoats came out swinging again with a very polished and widely enjoyed show.  Strong in all captions this year and hugely fun.  
  • Carolina Crown has a more fluid show than last year to me, they sound incredible as always.  
  • Boston Crusaders are performing like a top tier corps, the front 2/3 of the show is incredible and I can't wait to see the back part of the show evolve.  
  • The Cavaliers have an incredible brass line and MUCH more cohesive show.  Incredible ballad.  

After that I think Cadets have potential, Blue Stars sound fantastic and have great bones, Blue Knights have some great music picked out, Mandarins are picking up where they left off, etc.  

I'm really liking what I'm seeing and hearing form most corps this year.  Can't wait for my trip down to San Antonio!  

• Like 6

17 minutes ago, kalad's_phantoms_regiment said:

I think that SCV might have a few changes up their sleeve, but we'll see. As far as Boston, you're right that they don't make as many huge changes during the season, but I think the changes Goliath needs are really similar to the changes SOS got during the season, so I'm optimistic. I totally agree on BD, Bloo, and Cavies - less sure about Crown but I'm excited to see what they do with it! That show feels the most like a "finished" (or nearly finished) product to me, though (not that I think it's a stronger show than others in the top 6, I just don't see as many design changes coming).

Sorry didn't mean to leave SCV out.  Just assuming that they are the ones to catch at this point.  But, yes, they are staging changes as we speak like the other contenders.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, cfirwin3 said:

Sorry didn't mean to leave SCV out.  Just assuming that they are the ones to catch at this point.  But, yes, they are staging changes as we speak like the other contenders.

Staging! I don’t know how much more staging they can put into a design that is nothing but fluttering from one stage for park and bark to another. Their percussion battery actually marched more than the brass section, but drummers fluttering with equipment on is never a good look. Never! 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1