Interesting occurrence at I&E this year

5 minutes ago, KVG_DC said:

The closest I saw the official events get to saying anything at all was 1) Cadets DM getting the leadership award (we all knew why, but it wasn't explicitly said) and 2) someone said something about safety of members was said by Dan A. at the Friends of DCI meeting, although that wasn't given much public detail at all.

Considering that, this is a performer with a strong sense of performance art that they would take on the powers that be to make this sort of thing visible at such a time.  I see it less as an "attack on GH" and more a "no, we're not going to pretend this didn't happen.  This is DCI, warts and all."

Who's pretending it didn't happen?  What's your evidence for that statement?

And you are giving this way too much intellectual credit.  This thread even started with people acting like they just "burned" someone and was handing out the bro-fives.  This accomplished nothing.  

• Like 2

Just now, KVG_DC said:

I'm not about to stifle valid artistic impression because of what "might happen" by someone taking it "too far."  I"m sure the same hand wringing was made when the Garfield Cadets marched a Peace symbol in the "no more war" show.  

Artistic impression?  C'mon.  What an exaggeration.  

• Like 2

If you are more upset at a MM bringing more attention to a staff member who raped those in his organization than a Corps Director who engaged in decades of sexual abuse, than you are part of the problem.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

I’m assuming it was mentioned and read as a soliloquy type performance. If someone just got up and read it, yeah, less performance art and more ranting. 

As for pretending it didn’t happen, the silence during finals week was pretty deafening from DCI. A statement made at the friends meeting and not publicized is weaksauce.

I’m not saying they needed to burn him in effigy at retreat or anything. But running an official DCI ad with Dan A. stating the DCI response from Spring and updating with “we will continue to commit ourselves to improving the safety of all...”  would have been a powerful (although incomplete without continued action) way to acknowledge the pain many in the activity still have that mixed with the joy this weekend 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, GetOFFmyDot said:

If you are more upset at a MM bringing more attention to a staff member who raped those in his organization than a Corps Director who engaged in decades of sexual abuse, than you are part of the problem.  

My lord....nobody is defending Hopkins here.  

The argument is that this sort of thing should not take place during I&E.  Don't make these baseless accusations.

Edited by CD23
  • Like 1

Where should it happen?  Where else would it get anywhere near the visibility that those creating the silence around it get?  

When those who and most effect change remain silent, those seeking change will look to maximize their voice. If DCI doesn’t want this at visible things like I&E, they need to be more proactive in addressing it during these high visibility moments for the activity. 

There were commenters here during finals week that were JUST NOW learning of this. That says a lot about the silence within the activity. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, KVG_DC said:

I’m assuming it was mentioned and read as a soliloquy type performance. If someone just got up and read it, yeah, less performance art and more ranting. 

As for pretending it didn’t happen, the silence during finals week was pretty deafening from DCI. A statement made at the friends meeting and not publicized is weaksauce.

I’m not saying they needed to burn him in effigy at retreat or anything. But running an official DCI ad with Dan A. stating the DCI response from Spring and updating with “we will continue to commit ourselves to improving the safety of all...”  would have been a powerful (although incomplete without continued action) way to acknowledge the pain many in the activity still have that mixed with the joy this weekend 

It seems like almost every corps has now included and updated their sexual harassment policy in light of the Hopkins scandal.  I know of many Corps who openly addressed it with their members.  The Cadets even redesigned there show to focus on coming together in times like these.  There was no hush-hush.  I was fine not seeing his face on the TV last night with some long discussion about it.  What do you think needs to be said so badly that hasn't already been said?

My point is that it needs to continue to be said. Saying it once hasn’t made it stop. 

And it needs to be said at the most public and high point of the activity’s gathering. Because, as I pointed out, some people haven’t even heard it. 

Sounds of Silence, indeed

Edited by KVG_DC
  • Like 2

Just now, KVG_DC said:

Where should it happen?  Where else would it get anywhere near the visibility that those creating the silence around it get?  

When those who and most effect change remain silent, those seeking change will look to maximize their voice. If DCI doesn’t want this at visible things like I&E, they need to be more proactive in addressing it during these high visibility moments for the activity. 

There were commenters here during finals week that were JUST NOW learning of this. That says a lot about the silence within the activity. 

Just for the record, they aren't "remaining silent".  "They" are, instead, honoring the hard work of the kids and staffs by keeping their performances in the fore.

You'll have the attention to the subject you desire after the stadium lights, and many protagonist's heads, have cooled down.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, garfield said:

Just for the record, they aren't "remaining silent".  "They" are, instead, honoring the hard work of the kids and staffs by keeping their performances in the fore.

You'll have the attention to the subject you desire after the stadium lights, and many protagonist's heads, have cooled down.

Correct. The velvet and and achievements are well warranted and that should be the focus. But I see a tremendous opportunity to be truly transparent while the lights are still on. It shouldn’t steal the spotlight. But the acknowledgment of “the pain in the room” can mean a lot to those who hurt. 

• Like 2