Interesting occurrence at I&E this year

11 minutes ago, KVG_DC said:

Where should it happen?  Where else would it get anywhere near the visibility that those creating the silence around it get?  

When those who and most effect change remain silent, those seeking change will look to maximize their voice. If DCI doesn’t want this at visible things like I&E, they need to be more proactive in addressing it during these high visibility moments for the activity. 

There were commenters here during finals week that were JUST NOW learning of this. That says a lot about the silence within the activity. 

You are running on emotion not logic.  Where then do you draw the line?  You've yet to answer that question.  Would you be ok with the other subjects I mentioned being discussed?  You have to have an answer here.  

Obviously it didn't get very much visibility at I&E.  Making a YouTube video and putting it all over social media would've gotten WAY more visibility.  You've yet to justify why I&E is appropriate or necessary for this type of thing.  Why don't they just run onto the field between corps at finals with a megaphone and give an impassioned speech there.  You want that sort of thing happening? THAT would be pretty visible. 

8 minutes ago, KVG_DC said:

My point is that it needs to continue to be said. Saying it once hasn’t made it stop. 

Blow the whistle!  Where is this happening? Name names.  You are the one being silent, apparently.  

Edited by CD23

4 minutes ago, KVG_DC said:

Last comment here. 

I wiukd coubter that I’m arguing both from logic and emotion. The two don’t preclude one another. 

My main point is that something said by the powers that be while the spotlight is on can be a powerful and important way to move forwArd not only organizationally, but with the necessary healing that victims are seeking. When that opportunity is missed, it’s not unreasonable to expect others to do it for you. Suppressing those others in that context creates a silence that continues harm. 

As for whistle blowing, I don’t have direct knowledge. But, part of my training as a minister involves recognizing pain and people in pain. I see it all over comments and threads on this topic. George is certainly not the only one. Without direct knowledge the closest I can get to whistle blowing is to work for a transparent environment where people who need to speak on things that are painful, can do so without the pressure to remain silent. 

If the Music City performer made us uncomfortable, maybe it should. That we’re talking means their performance achieved something 

You can't answer any of my questions and you're just taking your ball and going home. 

This is DCP at it's finest.  

3 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

On a related note - has GH actually been indicted yet?  I know the PA legal system is investigating, but I don't recall an indictment as of yet.

I thought about bringing this up but I figured these guys would just take that as me trying to defend Hopkins and derail the discussion.  It's a very relevant point, however.  

Edited by CD23

I had assumed so. If this was an artificial indictment, then yeah again I’m less enamored of it. 

I felt I answered the questions except perhaps the “where does it stop?”  I’d add to what I’ve said, it should stop if it’s not something directly part of the activity. An anti Trump or Obama thing wouldn’t really have a place in my view. This does. 

As for “going home” I’m at a rally in town to counter the actual Nazis here today. Sorry if that  means I can’t engage you as fully as you want right now. I get the sense you’re not fully considering my points either. Which is why I tend to avoid discussing these things with strangers on the internet. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, CD23 said:

You are running on emotion not logic.  Where then do you draw the line?  You've yet to answer that question.  Would you be ok with the other subjects I mentioned being discussed?  You have to have an answer here.  

Obviously it didn't get very much visibility at I&E.  Making a YouTube video and putting it all over social media would've gotten WAY more visibility.  You've yet to justify why I&E is appropriate or necessary for this type of thing.  Why don't they just run onto the field between corps at finals with a megaphone and give an impassioned speech there.  You want that sort of thing happening? THAT would be pretty visible. 

Blow the whistle!  Where is this happening? Name names.  You are the one being silent, apparently.  

The line is drawn when it becomes irrelevant to the activity. This was very much relevant to DCI

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, KVG_DC said:

I'm not about to stifle valid artistic impression because of what "might happen" by someone taking it "too far."  I"m sure the same hand wringing was made when the Garfield Cadets marched a Peace symbol in the "no more war" show.  

So if one of the finalist corps (for example, the Cadets) had chosen to use their 17 minutes in finals last night to read a GH indictment instead of performing their competitive program, your reaction would be the same?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

The line is drawn when it becomes irrelevant to the activity. This was very much relevant to DCI

You don't see the can of worms that you're opening by being so vague? Who's to decide what's relevant or not?  You could think of plenty of political topics and justify relevance in DCI.  Why do you WANT that to be part of I&E? Again, the topic discussed by this Music City individual is not what I have a problem with.  I&E is just not the place for it. Like I asked earlier, if you are ok with this, then why wouldn't you be ok with people making political speeches in between (or during) corps performances?

There are so many other mediums this person could have chosen that would have reached more people than I&E.  Nothing significant will have come from this -- so why make this a part of the activity?

• Like 1