Interesting occurrence at I&E this year

3 minutes ago, Brian Tuma said:

Nobody said that directly here but that does seem to be the vibe out there in general. 

Sorry I didn't realize you were addressing people not currently participating in this thread.  Maybe some of them will come post eventually.  Or maybe they don't even exist. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, CD23 said:

And here you go again trying to decide what's relevant or not, all while not being able to justify your own points of view.  

Irony is you are trying to convince everyone that it is not relevant.

If done as a way to make a point of what DCI needs to do then relevancy is well... irrelevant 

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, CD23 said:

Sorry I didn't realize you were addressing people not currently participating in this thread.  Maybe some of them will come post eventually.  Or maybe they don't even exist. 

Holy #### will you grow the #### up already?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Irony is you are trying to convince everyone that it is not relevant.

If done as a way to make a point of what DCI needs to do then relevancy is well... irrelevant 

...another member trying to make it sound like I'm saying things that I'm clearly not.  

I never said anything about relevancy.  I said that this was not appropriate.  You can draw lines here.  It is not appropriate to say the "f word" in church.  That doesn't mean that I think that the topic profanity is not a relevant discussion in the world. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, CD23 said:

Or maybe they don't even exist. 

Much like your hypotheticals?

• Like 2

4 hours ago, CD23 said:

If that's even true, it is a very dumb thing to do.  What's the point? Is this just an attempt to be edgy?  Is some sort of statement being made?  This just seems very poorly thought out other than trying to get people like Cappybara to give high-fives.  Nothing is being accomplished here.  

I'm not defending Hopkins. By all accounts he seems like he wasn't a very good person.  I have no sympathy for him.  But why would anyone feel that he is important enough to make part of the I&E event? 

Why is this a good thing?

You have to draw the line somewhere.  Would it be ok if he read something anti-trump?  Anti-obama?  What if he read Bill Cosby's indictment?  You have to draw the line somewhere.  It makes sense just to draw the line at performing competitive solos/ensembles.  

Reposting your first post to answer... you are saying I&E is not the place to do this. To put it another way you are saying they are not relevant to each other. 

1 minute ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Reposting your first post to answer... you are saying I&E is not the place to do this. To put it another way you are saying they are not relevant to each other. 

No, I am not saying that.  Did you see my previous post regarding appropriateness vs. relevancy?  You are way off here. There is a difference.  

The Hopkins Scandal is EXTREMELY RELEVANT to DCI.  I&E is not the appropriate place to discuss it.  I can't make that any clearer. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

Much like your hypotheticals?

All hypotheticals, by definition, do not exist.  You make no point here. 

It is always good to consider hypothetical future implications when making decisions.  Not sure who would disagree with that.  Now, if you are saying that "I just think that there is NO WAY that the hypothetical situations you named would ever happen" (which you very well could be right about) then you can go ahead with allowing this type of thing to go on. But understand that you are leaving a very wide door open. 

Edited by CD23