Interesting occurrence at I&E this year

1 hour ago, skevinp said:

To the people saying Reddit is a superior means of discussion to DCP, I would ask why are you discussing this important topic here and not Reddit?

That is exactly the point in reverse. If some of the stuff posted on here was discussed on Reddit we would be in big trouble. The trolls would get what they are looking for and turn a brush fire into a forest fire. To that end, I wonder why we pick on each other so much. Would you much rather have an idiot like me posting on Reddit? Not that I am thin-skinned enough to take anything serious and would never post over there. For one reason, I love and respect anyone that is for the success of dci even the ones that see me as the devil.

Edited by Bluzes
typo

Much as we talk about the changes DCI has made on the issue we don’t really know how good it is until something hits the fan. Hope it’s a long time before we find out.

7 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Much as we talk about the changes DCI has made on the issue we don’t really know how good it is until something hits the fan. Hope it’s a long time before we find out.

If corps clean house of individuals with known issues and histories, I think so. I think there's some skepticism here on that, and I think it's healthy since it might help prod some teams into doing it that could be reluctant.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Bluzes said:

Yes you did and I agreed already that steps have been taken. You don't need to make anything clear to me if I haven't shown you I too have the best interests of this activity in my heart go ahead and hate me. Please do not think belittling me will solve any of the issues at hand. Same question remains how do the MMs communicate their concerns upstream. Spend some time thinking about that and less time thinking about me or feeling sorry for yourself over what I point out.  

wow, just wow

1 hour ago, Bluzes said:

That is exactly the point in reverse. If some of the stuff posted on here was discussed on Reddit we would be in big trouble. The trolls would get what they are looking for and turn a brush fire into a forest fire. To that end, I wonder why we pick on each other so much. Would you much rather have an idiot like me posting on Reddit? Not that I am thin-skinned enough to take anything serious and would never post over there. For one reason, I love and respect anyone that is for the success of dci even the ones that see me as the devil.

Except Friends members though, right?

:devil:

I was very surprised to hear nothing both in June at the Tour Premier and then more so during Big, Loud and Live, related to the spring issues and how DCI and its member corps/BoD's have and are making changes.  Frankly, it was a huge wasted opportunity to say to everyone watching, "We are making changes, and there are more to come".  This could have been done WITHOUT putting anyone in harms way from a legal perspective, and would have gone a long way from a PR standpoint.  It is just ridiculous nothing has been said directly to the viewing public as of now.

I do see the page listed on DCI.org, but that is very dated at this point.  Maybe, if Dan A. had addressed the issues a little more publicly during those two events/broadcasts, the majority of people here and elsewhere (Garfield excluded, as he seems to have some direct information) would not feel like it is the "elephant in the room we are all trying to not look at".  Who knows, maybe the member that made the protest at I&E would not have done so!

Just my opinion.

• Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

Just yesterday, a story came out that an 11-year-old hacked the election system in Florida.

As cixelsyd says, this story has been misunderstood and over-hyped (somewhat). At Def Con in Las Vegas, an 11-year-old hacker in attendance was able in less than ten minutes to change the *appearance* of vote totals on a replica of Florida's election site--but not any actual vote totals on that replica site. Now if that happens for real on Election Day, it would still be quite bad! Imagine if Florida was reporting one result that day and the next had to admit that something totally different had happened. Such an attack would be entirely in keeping with one goal that some overseas governments have: undermining trust in American institutions. And it should serve as a wake-up call to election boards to harden their systems. (And not just them. The bigger news over the past year has been that foreign actors have been breaching utilities. Imagine if you could shut down, say, Miami's power grid on Election Day.) So at the same conference last week, organizers set up a mock replica of an Ohio country election site and added some extra safeguards. No hacker was able to break in.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, garfield said:

Except Friends members though,

Except Friends members though, wrong. Could you please stop with the friends stuff. So I shook the tree it was for the good of the bigger picture why don't you get that?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, garfield said:

Except Friends members though, right?

:devil:

Nice meme I would still enjoy watching a show with you someday, your my friend, right!

1 hour ago, garfield said:

wow, just wow

did you just place me up there with the MMs? Hope not can't shine their shoes. Wow, Just Wow is a term that only pops in my head after a show, been to many lately.