Interesting occurrence at I&E this year

12 hours ago, garfield said:

And here's the crux of my answer:  The kids are looking for solutions in the wrong place and I suspect a bunch of adults (Reddit posters and otherwise) are encouraging them incorrectly.

And, if they're not willing to name their corps, how can one verify their membership and address the failings of their corps staff in not reflecting their actions to their kids or, worse, not having followed the June 1 requirements from DCI?

Yelling at DCI to do more is not effective for reasons I've already outlined.  That reality needs to be said back to the MMs posting on Reddit.

the reality needs to be said to everyone everywhere.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, skevinp said:

To the people saying Reddit is a superior means of discussion to DCP, I would ask why are you discussing this important topic here and not Reddit?

superior? no. but its what kids like

9 hours ago, Spartans87 said:

I was very surprised to hear nothing both in June at the Tour Premier and then more so during Big, Loud and Live, related to the spring issues and how DCI and its member corps/BoD's have and are making changes.  Frankly, it was a huge wasted opportunity to say to everyone watching, "We are making changes, and there are more to come".  This could have been done WITHOUT putting anyone in harms way from a legal perspective, and would have gone a long way from a PR standpoint.  It is just ridiculous nothing has been said directly to the viewing public as of now.

I do see the page listed on DCI.org, but that is very dated at this point.  Maybe, if Dan A. had addressed the issues a little more publicly during those two events/broadcasts, the majority of people here and elsewhere (Garfield excluded, as he seems to have some direct information) would not feel like it is the "elephant in the room we are all trying to not look at".  Who knows, maybe the member that made the protest at I&E would not have done so!

Just my opinion.

agree

4 hours ago, GUARDLING said:

I'm surprised with everything going on in every county but 2 in PA ( quoting the news)no one brought this up.....crazy stuff.. and very sad

I must have grown up in one of the 2 exceptions. I haven't looked at any details as of yet, unfortunately, the way things are, nothing would surprise me anymore. :sleep:

4 hours ago, GUARDLING said:

I'm surprised with everything going on in every county but 2 in PA ( quoting the news)no one brought this up.....crazy stuff.. and very sad

Report on Harrisburg archdiocese released end of last week and couple page write up in Harrisburg paper. Been a lot of rumblings before this so biggest surprise is how widespread. Kicker is in the same paper with the big write up there was a new allegation in a separate article. The new one just outside the city.

Slight correction, PA has 8 Catholic Dioceses and 67(?) counties. Abuse was found in all but 2 Diocese.

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

14 hours ago, Spartans87 said:

I was very surprised to hear nothing both in June at the Tour Premier and then more so during Big, Loud and Live, related to the spring issues and how DCI and its member corps/BoD's have and are making changes.  Frankly, it was a huge wasted opportunity to say to everyone watching, "We are making changes, and there are more to come".  This could have been done WITHOUT putting anyone in harms way from a legal perspective, and would have gone a long way from a PR standpoint.  It is just ridiculous nothing has been said directly to the viewing public as of now.

I do see the page listed on DCI.org, but that is very dated at this point.  Maybe, if Dan A. had addressed the issues a little more publicly during those two events/broadcasts, the majority of people here and elsewhere (Garfield excluded, as he seems to have some direct information) would not feel like it is the "elephant in the room we are all trying to not look at".  Who knows, maybe the member that made the protest at I&E would not have done so!

Just my opinion.

I doubt any changes to the Thursday broadcast would have affected what happened the day before at I&E...

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Spartans87 said:

Just my opinion.

As far as I know,at this time ,the only DCI member organization,whose "problems"  have been made "public"  is The Cadets/YEA,i.e GH.

I should also point out that,at this time,these are only accusations.

Therefore,DCI has to walk a very fine line when it comes to its comments.

Personally,I thought it was handled appropriately at the Tour Premier,especially since The Cadets weren't there.

I would think the virtually all of the people at the event follow drum corps,so they had a pretty good idea of the "back story".

As far as BLL,again ,The Cadets/YEA remain the only DCI member who have had accusations  of inappropriate behavior,in this case by their former corps director, made "public".

I thought the BLL Broadcast Team did a good job of addressing the whole situation with The Cadets Director.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Spartans87 said:

Just my opinion.

This is perfectly legitimate and human response.  Unfortunately, and this is my speculation and amalgamation of comments here, there are lawyers involved and DCI is a "12million dollar" organization (top-line revenue). 

It's probably correct to think that the lawyers said "Chiudere la tua bocca"* and want to control every word uttered until this is settled.  While, at the same time, even if the ED had a great desire to act further in his comments, he has both the lawyers and his BoD to answer to.  And his BoD, typically the directors of the corps (although that might change), are all out on tour.  There is no practical way to corral those cats to make a thoughtful and well-reasoned group-decision on anything during the tour.

And further, while I'm far from a DCI apologist, I do know that the staff is fully aware of their responsibilities under their charter to build and maintain the tour to both generate revenue for the corps and assure a tour structure built with consideration of student safety.  Any time demanded away from the tour, while it's in motion, risks a failure happening to a corps on tour (a failed housing, a stadium problem, etc).  The corps Boards, staff, and directors took immediate action to ensure on-the-ground practices shared among all corps.

The corps were running, the tour was about to happen, directors, boards, and DCI staff are all chickens minus heads... I can see the Occam's Razor decision to be the best one:  "Use the lawyer language, have a successful tour and get everyone home, then attack this issue directly as a group beginning 60 days from now".

I have no direct information to say that these are truths but, from where I stand, it's the most logical path forward they could take.

*Shut your mouths