Interesting occurrence at I&E this year

1 hour ago, skevinp said:

Maybe the victims should be able to watch a drum corps event without being forced to relive the trauma of what they suffered every time they do so.  

Wow, I didn't even think about this perspective.

Kudos.

• Like 2

First, I totally forgot about the Premier having the interview with Kathy Black.  My lack of remembering is primarily because I don't think it went far enough, but that's just my opinion and I can live with it.  I would also agree it was a legal tight-rope to walk, and I understand the conservative nature of the response or lack thereof.  I guess, I would have looked to handle it differently, and be more open.

As for the victims being able to watch a show without reliving the trauma, I would generally agree, however, these folks were strong, and courageous to come out in public to make us all aware of the alleged abuses. I would suggest, that they may be looking to see more public info related to the progress.  Seeing and knowing they did not act in vein, could make them feel like someone was listening and doing something material related to change for the future.  All of this is speculation of course, but that is what a forum is for after all.

Thanks for listening

• Like 1

2 hours ago, skevinp said:

Maybe the victims should be able to watch a drum corps event without being forced to relive the trauma of what they suffered every time they do so.  

good point. I do think some disclosure is good without beating people over the head about it

11 minutes ago, Spartans87 said:

As for the victims being able to watch a show without reliving the trauma, I would generally agree, however, these folks were strong, and courageous to come out in public to make us all aware of the alleged abuses

I know drum corps fans would applaud them and have already done so privately. They should be given seats in the friends section if they chose to come to a show. The more the powers to be honor them the less they would want to go to another site and wreak havoc.  

What is being left off of this is that at the very end he mentioned that DCI had committed itself to protecting the members and this MM then questioned why DCI allowed the Orlando event to start back at the time it did with lightning still within it's 15 mile boundary. I think that is what really irked DCI more than just reading the GH thing was questioning them about that Orlando situation.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, skevinp said:

So there should have been a trigger warning?

5 hours ago, skevinp said:

Madison Scouts did shows in the past decade based on 9/11 and on this incident in Afghanistan. Both were widely praised. Both could have been seen by family members of those whose lives were lost (particularly the former show).

2 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Madison Scouts did shows in the past decade based on 9/11 and on this incident in Afghanistan. Both were widely praised. Both could have been seen by family members of those whose lives were lost (particularly the former show).

Believe Connecticut Hurricanes also did a 9/11 show but that was just before I came back to watching corps

22 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

To me, the myriad differences should be obvious to any thoughtful person who actually does care about the victims.

Would you be comfortable contacting all of George's victims and telling them you are doing a DCI show about them next year?   

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

i think the mostly subtle ways Cadets did things this season was wonderful, and i know some of the victims loved it, because it made everything about the Cadets again. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1