Interesting occurrence at I&E this year

10 minutes ago, CD23 said:

No, I am not saying that.  Did you see my previous post regarding appropriateness vs. relevancy?  You are way off here. There is a difference.  

The Hopkins Scandal is EXTREMELY RELEVANT to DCI.  I&E is not the appropriate place to discuss it.  I can't make that any clearer. 

You are talking about two different things in 2nd and 3rd lines from the end. What is relevant to DCI and what is appropriate to I&E. I am talking about what is relevant in I&E which is not covered in this post.

And if you want people to respect your opinion more it is NOT a good idea to tell people they make no point when they disagree.

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 3

I didn't even know he was formally charged. 

1 minute ago, FeathersUp said:

I didn't even know he was formally charged. 

PA is known to take a while as usually wait to get the evidence together. Can reaslly screw the pooch if charged for the wrong things or miss possible charges 

• Thanks 1

Right sentiment, wrong venue.

• Like 2

Did Dan do the right thing to shut this down from a legal standpoint?  There is no right to free speech in DCI or any other organization or company at an event or even on the premises that they control. Free speech only applies to the government shutting down the speech of citizens.  DCI is not the government.  DCI can shut down speech at their events any time they want.  Was Dan properly doing his job to protect DCI from legal action?  Unless the word "allegedly" was was used in the presentation, DCI, the corps, the corps director and/or the member could be sued for defamation.   Every media organization knows this and uses the word "allegedly" in reporting on situations like this.   Since at this point, there have been no civil or criminal convictions regarding this matter,   a person who was "damaged" by this could file a lawsuit and probably win. Even a person in this forum who doesn't use the word "allegedly"  could be legally liable.  Maybe a person in the Drum Corps community  who is a lawyer (I know of 2 former percussion instructors who are lawyers) could expand on this. I'm pretty sure that any lawyer advising DCI would tell them to shut down this type of behavior.

Edited by 27Socal
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, CD23 said:

All hypotheticals, by definition, do not exist.  You make no point here. 

It is always good to consider hypothetical future implications when making decisions.  Not sure who would disagree with that.  Now, if you are saying that "I just think that there is NO WAY that the hypothetical situations you named would ever happen" (which you very well could be right about) then you can go ahead with allowing this type of thing to go on. But understand that you are leaving a very wide door open. 

What would be the consequences to leaving the door wide open? Would we lose anything? If someone did decide to take it too far and start to go beyond the realms of what's relevant to DCI, what is the worst that would happen? It would simply get shut down, right? I am very much open to hypotheticals, but not when I feel like they likely won't occur

17 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

PA is known to take a while as usually wait to get the evidence together. Can reaslly screw the pooch if charged for the wrong things or miss possible charges 

Ok, I was a bit confused due to the "Hopkins' Indictment" line in the OP and the Reddit thread in which they use "indictment" being related to an actual court hearing. 

Edited by FeathersUp

2 hours ago, CD23 said:

No, I am not saying that.  Did you see my previous post regarding appropriateness vs. relevancy?  You are way off here. There is a difference.  

The Hopkins Scandal is EXTREMELY RELEVANT to DCI.  I&E is not the appropriate place to discuss it.  I can't make that any clearer. 

And why is this your decision, and your decision only to make? Was twitter the right place to discuss #metoo?  Many people didn't think it was. Is the national anthem an appropriate place to raise attention to issues of racism? Many don't think it is. 

In my opinion (and yes you can disagree), DCI should have had a public service announcement before finals encouraging youth to speak up and report abuse. As much as anything that was the underlying issue with this Hopkins situation, and this would have been a tremendous platform to get that message out. 

I personally don't feel strongly about this stunt (if there really was one) at I&E - doesn't seem like a tremendously effective way to highlight the issue, but I also don't feel like I can condemn it unless I understand the background and rationale for doing so. Was this person an abuse victim? Is this person aware that abuse is still happening in DCI? I don't know. 

Your obvious condescension, and attempt to be authoritative on this issue is what everyone is reacting to, not the fact that you want to share your opinion on this matter. But remember, it IS only an opinion. We all have 'em. 

Edited by DCIdad
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, FeathersUp said:

Ok, I was a bit confused due to the "Hopkins' Indictment" line in the OP and the Reddit thread in which they use "indictment" being related to an actual court hearing. 

Oh ok I missed that and took your meaning another way.. my bad

2 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Oh ok I missed that and took your meaning another way.. my bad

Yeah sorry about any confusion. I stuck with the wording used in the Reddit post so that people could go refer to it if they wanted to but looks like it led to more confusion. My bad