Interesting occurrence at I&E this year

12 hours ago, Sideways said:

There better be a video of this...

Lordy, you hope there are tapes?

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, MikeD said:

We actually first performed it to "White Rabbit" in our 1970 show. The head powers-that-be of the VFW at Nationals in Miami said we did not belong on the field because of the Peace Sign. However, when we formed it and turned to the stands, flashbulbs by the thousands went off, from the rank and file VFW members who did not agree with their leadership, I guess.

Oh that’s a neat bit I hadn’t heard before. 

2 hours ago, FlamMan said:

What reason would justify her doing this? For God sakes, have some respect for the activity...& yourself.

You're asking a 60+ year old male to know how a female under 22 is thinking and reasoning? Actually I can think of a few reasons why someone would feel why it should be done buy no sense throwing out guesses.

How is this showing disrespect for myself? I'm trying to keep an open mind instead of blasting without any information. As for respect for DCI they are way behind the curve in protecting members. Here it is 2017 and finally starting to set guidelines to protect members. If the GH mess had not hit I'm willing to bet nothing would have happened. And those guidelines are not complete last I read them. I just keep thinking it's been 20 years since I worked with my old small local church on setting up child protection guidelines. And 20 years later crap has to hit the fan for nationwide DCI to START to do something?

PS irony here is you want the member to shut up but to report things you need people to open up. 

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, BigW said:

As for the thought someone posted, what if a corps decided to use their time and protest instead of perform the show? Wow. Gutsy. Corps have already protested at shows, I.C. Reveries, anyone?

cfb512aa.jpg

I'd think for something like that to happen... the corps would have to be unanimous in their decision, and believe that what they spoke up or acted out on was worth effectively blowing up their entire season for. Would it upset people, sure. Maybe that would be their point. Whether one approves, agrees, or shakes their head, at least think about what was done and why, and try and start the conversation there.

I had never heard of the IC [Immaculate Conception] Reveries of Revere, Mass., nor of their sit-in at the 1966 VFW Finals before. Fascinating. Thanks for that.

7 minutes ago, garfield said:

This is just simply not true of "the activity". 

Agreed. There are those of us who have and will continue to blow whistles against individuals who have records and histories of malfeasance. It's too broad a brush to indict everyone in DCA, DCI, and the scholastic scene for covering up and hiding questionable individuals and their behavior. For those that do those things, I hope they get socked with everything that they deserve when it all comes out.

8 hours ago, GUARDLING said:

There's no reason a social issue can't be used in a show ( although many don't like that unless of course, they agree with it ) BUT I will say when making the statement about an individual gives more noise to the person instead of the issue.

Suncoast 84

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

Here’s the thing from the kids today that are out there:

theres not a or a lot of trust dci is doing what they need to be doing as stuff has cropped up on Reddit and other places. Kids feel that dci and the leaders only care about $$$. 

Amazingly this was ignored yet it’s true. Go read Reddit. The MM’s don’t seem to think enough is being done.

as I’ve said in other places on other issues, the kids today are the us of tomorrow and this generation seems more he’ll bent on change than we were 

• Like 2