Interesting occurrence at I&E this year

16 hours ago, CD23 said:

...another member trying to make it sound like I'm saying things that I'm clearly not.  

I never said anything about relevancy.  I said that this was not appropriate.  You can draw lines here.  It is not appropriate to say the "f word" in church.  That doesn't mean that I think that the topic profanity is not a relevant discussion in the world. 

Fellowship?

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

I had never heard of the IC [Immaculate Conception] Reveries of Revere, Mass., nor of their sit-in at the 1966 VFW Finals before. Fascinating. Thanks for that.

Sister was wearing a corps shirt in a college class when the prof said he was in Reveries. Had read about the sit in in Drum Corps News so told her to ask if he was part of it. Few days later she calls back "What the bleep was the sit in, I asked and his jaw hit the floor". Answer was no he just missed that year.

16 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

And let’s not think that all corps are hitting this the same way. You can follow direction from above in different ways. Anything from serious and paying lip service. No idea what the individual corps are doing but have seen it in other places

"This" being reporting abuse. Finally remembered one of the accusations against Pioneer is corps members being told corps business is handled by the corps. Sexual abuse is not one of the problems supposedly facing the corps but this is basically telling the members not to report. Which kills the operation of this plan DCI put together. A plan is only as good as the people below using it. If some of them don't take it seriously.....

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, BigW said:

You're welcome, man. It's a part of the history of this activity, and the Reveries later through mergers, etc., became Two-Seven.

There was no merger in this instance.  Quite oppositely, it was a split.

The membership and staff of the former I.C. Reveries, having parted ways with the Immaculate Conception church after the 1967 season, elected to keep the corps going.  They selected a new name (27th Lancers), developed new funding sources, and the rest is history.

Meanwhile, the former feeder corps of the Reveries remained with the church for awhile, and was not tied to the 27th Lancers.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Cappybara said:

Not sure anyone has argued that the disqualification was inappropriate/against the rules or code of conduct. I think we are all in agreement with that. 

What I think the disagreement is on whether this was a worthy way to bring awareness to the issue after DCI remained largely silent about it all season. 

Largely silent?  "Participant safety" is now a main menu category on DCI.org, and member safety news items have been appearing among the "top stories" I see on my view of the website all summer.  Granted, those news items are all repeating from pre-season, so I understand your frustration with the lack of continuing progress.  Not sure I would characterize it as "silence", though.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Incognito365 said:

There are all kinds of forms of protest. Who's to say which is right and which is wrong? He among those without sin shall cast the first stone. There's not one person alive who hasn't sinned, so why is everyone casting stones? They did it, it's done. I'm sure there will be new rules implemented next year. Lets move on.

Evaluating the pros/cons of various protest strategies is hardly the same as "casting stones".

• Like 2

On ‎8‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 9:24 AM, Cappybara said:

Dan Acheson is not pleased with the Music City admin for allowing the member to read it out

Hey Don it was art if your OK with burning witches, attire with veins hanging all over the place (Madison placed them in medical waste containers on Friday). You  need to man-up like the rest of us and take your head out of the sand.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

Largely silent?  "Participant safety" is now a main menu category on DCI.org, and member safety news items have been appearing among the "top stories" I see on my view of the website all summer.  Granted, those news items are all repeating from pre-season, so I understand your frustration with the lack of continuing progress.  Not sure I would characterize it as "silence", though.

All this, plus the new Women of DCI movement that was given - among other things - meeting rooms in LOS, meeting times, meetings at other Regionals, suites, etc.

2 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

Largely silent?  "Participant safety" is now a main menu category on DCI.org,

What a piece of paper or few kbps of documents stored on a hard drive. I went down this path. Asked if anyone from the NEW safety committee ever checked with the corps in question during the season seeking input from corps members. The answer was then dci can't do that under their charter back in 1972. Nice bait and switch but I am not buying it.

On 8/12/2018 at 10:24 AM, Cappybara said:

apparently Dan Acheson is not pleased with the Music City admin for allowing the member to read it out

So where is DCI public relations person? This is one case DA should have stayed mum or at least kept his distance.