Interesting occurrence at I&E this year

23 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

i'm not condoning the kid doing it. as we get older, we all think things we would have at one time found irreverent and funny arent as cool as we once would have thought.

but it still speaks to something I have said twice now and has been roundly ignored:

the kids out there marching do not think DCI is going a good job of this if even half of what you see on Reddit is to believed. if all of it's true, well, it's a pathetic statement towards how DCI is handling it. 

Either way, while this wasn't the greatest idea, the kids out there today still have concerns that need to be addressed AND the adults arent transparent enough with the kids.

and this will probably be ignored too

Also, let’s not forget that it’s likely that many MMs don’t understand DCIs decentralized oversight structure.  (This affliction affects the thoughts of many-a-poster on DCP as well, IMO.)

It would be helpful and right (currently) to direct their attention to what their corps staff is, or isn’t, doing to keep them safe from harm. 

Also, affirm to them that the adults who make up DCI, the Boards of the member corps [of THEIR corps), have been in deep and direct discussion with their members to formulate practices and policies to keep them all safe while they’re out on tour. 

The directors have been directing. Their Boards - ALL OF THE MEMBER BOARDS - are actively doing their jobs, in the background, openly and inclusively changing the what WAS to what WILL be. 

It helps to be positive sometimes. The kids just got off the field, for God’s sake  Give the activity a chance to catch its breath!  Don’t forget: the Boards’ responsibility to watch that tour, pay attention to it, be ready to act with people and resources.  There’s just not been time for the activity to come together to codify agreement.   But that does NOT mean that nothing is, has, or will be done. 

Pay attention.  All is far from lost. Some remarkable people are steering a significantly different organization.  This time it will be different, I can assure you  

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

for the happiest person alive you seem to assume the role of victim a bit much in this thread - JMO

I am ashamed of myself for drawing the attention. If I am so off-track than ignore me, if not than keep attacking your motives all come out in the wash. It's the activity that needs help I am way beyond help, think about other things. I had a dream that at the end of The Academy show. The guard became nuns and borrowed the Blue Stars rulers and chased the corps around, can you help me with that? Remember when the activity wasn't tied up in all these social issues and we actually had fun on this site?

Edited by Bluzes

How do we know ALL the boards are up to speed and doing their jobs on this?

Last I read policy was member to report to contact in their corps if uncomfortable with something. Has a policy been set who a member should report to if they feel uncomfortable dealing with the corps contact person? Huge missing piece last time I saw

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

How do we know ALL the boards are up to speed and doing their jobs on this?

Last I read policy was member to report to contact in their corps if uncomfortable with something. Has a policy been set who a member should report to if they feel uncomfortable dealing with the corps contact person? Huge missing piece last time I saw

The whole pioneer situation this season comes to mind 

• Thanks 3

18 minutes ago, garfield said:

Also, let’s not forget that it’s likely that many MMs don’t understand DCIs decentralized oversight structure.  (This affliction affects the thoughts of many-a-poster on DCP as well, IMO.)

It would be helpful and right (currently) to direct their attention to what their corps staff is, or isn’t, doing to keep them safe from harm. 

Also, affirm to them that the adults who make up DCI, the Boards of the member corps [of THEIR corps), have been in deep and direct discussion with their members to formulate practices and policies to keep them all safe while they’re out on tour. 

The directors have been directing. Their Boards - ALL OF THE MEMBER BOARDS - are actively doing their jobs, in the background, openly and inclusively changing the what WAS to what WILL be. 

It helps to be positive sometimes. The kids just got off the field, for God’s sake  Give the activity a chance to catch its breath!  Don’t forget: the Boards’ responsibility to watch that tour, pay attention to it, be ready to act with people and resources.  There’s just not been time for the activity to come together to codify agreement.   But that does NOT mean that nothing is, has, or will be done. 

Pay attention.  All is far from lost. Some remarkable people are steering a significantly different organization.  This time it will be different, I can assure you  

i am very hopeful for the future of DCI. I do see some very good things happening.

Not all of the kids do, and if you're going to keep everything alive, that's the sell job they gotta do. I'm not the pitchfork crowd you see in other places begging for an article to come out frying past abuses. Oh sure, DCI needs to fix some things, i'll never totally kiss their ### when it comes to that, and yes the season ended 2 days ago. But I'm not a kid. And kids flock to Reddit over DCP in a heartbeat, and it seems parents do now too. And even if the stuff out there is sour grapes, people see it. However, like any business that has a "calendar year", starting next year after it's already started can be a bad thing. 

3 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

The whole pioneer situation this season comes to mind 

And my second question has GH Cadets coming to mind. In my job it's report abuse/harassment to your boss. But what if boss is doing the harassment. Job has a policy for that but does DCI.

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

And kids flock to Reddit over DCP in a heartbeat, and it seems parents do now too. And even if the stuff out there is sour grapes, people see it. However, like any business that has a "calendar year", starting next year after it's already started can be a bad thing. 

The kids see how some are treated here when some of us stand up for them. They move to  a safe place like reddit that's not safe at all. I feel sometimes that there is a dci shill network a secret society (them cavies) that have a private que planning their attack. Pitchers change but insults remain the same. Bluzes is deep into the bull pen just tiering them out with foul balls. None of this is intended and I believe what I and others post that may shed light where mushrooms should grow. 

16 minutes ago, Bluzes said:

None of this is intended and I believe what I and others post that may shed light where mushrooms should grow. 

Light doesn't help mushrooms grow.

People are laying on the fertilizer pretty thick,  though, so I'm sure they will be OK.

1 minute ago, skevinp said:

People are laying on the fertilizer pretty thick,  though, so I'm sure they will be OK.

Yep, Yep, Yep I know all about fertilizer, from you know who when we stopped the show in the Rose Bowl to get that done.