The future is here

Just now, MikeRapp said:

Curious about what the rut is that Bluecoats is in. Of all the corps, they have been by far the most divergent from one season to the next, style wise. 

You could listen to Crown from one season to the next and copy and paste arrangement passages and not miss anything.

I would have to agree with that. To me at least, Crown uses the same lay out from season to season to point where it gets hard to decipher from one year to the next. Now that is not saying there shows are exactly the same from one year to another, but you can tell a Crown show when you see and hear it. As for Bloo, I can't say that any of their show have even remotely been similar from season to season for the past 5 years with the exception of MAYBE Jagged Line compared to Downside Up. And this is no hate whatsoever because Crown has been my favorite corps outside of Bloo!

• Like 1

Bluecoats have done jazz with giant props pretty much 3 years in a row now.

Crown has gone from Mahler, to rock, to Western, Beethoven, Einstein/Glass, no idea what this year's music came from, but they're all over the place. 

Maybe arrangements by one brass arranger has similarities in writing style from year to year, but that's to be expected. 

And as far as being able to tell what corps is doing what show.

If someone were to tell me all of the show titles for the top 12 corps, I bet I could match each show title with their corps without knowing beforehand who is doing what. 

Edited by BoyWonder1911

1 minute ago, OhioBoy_99 said:

I would have to agree with that. To me at least, Crown uses the same lay out from season to season to point where it gets hard to decipher from one year to the next. Now that is not saying there shows are exactly the same from one year to another, but you can tell a Crown show when you see and hear it. As for Bloo, I can't say that any of their show have even remotely been similar from season to season for the past 5 years with the exception of MAYBE Jagged Line compared to Downside Up. And this is no hate whatsoever because Crown has been my favorite corps outside of Bloo!

Exactly. And this is not a criticism unless you choose to take it as one.

If you ask whether Crown could do Session 44, ask yourself if Klesch would not stick the four or five arrangement patterns into that show that he has used for years. The Crown sound requires full brass unison and chords. They wow you with their ability to create one singular brass voice from over 100 players. 

You can’t accomplish what they are known for within a jazz idiom. It is the very antithesis of the jazz concept.

One of the reasons last years Crown show didn’t work is they forced a singer to fit into the Crown style, instead of building around a concept that both were contributing to. It came off harsh and forced, because that’s ecactly what it was.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, BoyWonder1911 said:

Bluecoats have done jazz with giant props pretty much 3 years in a row now.

Crown has gone from Mahler, to rock, to Western, Beethoven, Einstein/Glass, no idea what this year's music came from, but they're all over the place. 

Maybe arrangements by one brass arranger has similarities in writing style from year to year, but that's to be expected. 

Thats exactly what I am talking about, arrangements. Crown relies on predictable brass arrangements and builds around those ideas. Not the other way around. Blue Devils has done similar things over the past decade, it has been my criticism of them as well. The standard big brass openings could almost be copied and pasted from one show to another.

You can decide whether that is good or not good, but any reasonably honest musician could listen to the last five Crown shows and pick out the same arrangement and playing concepts over and over again.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, 2000Cadet said:

giphy.gif

I was thinking the same thing! Let me get my Foldgers Crystals! 

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, queenanne_1536 said:

Whenever I see Bluecoats and Crown, I think they are the new Madison and Regiment. If I had been away from the activity since the 90s and watched and someone told me Bluecoats were Madison and Regiment were Crown, I'd believe it. Of course, I'd also have to believe Madison went coed.

WHAT? There is so much wrong with these sentences? I don't know where to begin! 

1 minute ago, Box5Opinion said:

WHAT? There is so much wrong with these sentences? I don't know where to begin! 

Eh I can see it. Both BC and CC have built their own directions, but there are similarities between scouts and coats, and phantom and crown. 

I fixed the thread 

THE FUTURE IS HERE! 

Caption: General Effect (GE)

Number of judges: Two for most of the season, plus a doubled panel of four during Premier Events (e.g. San Antonio, Atlanta, Allentown) and the World Championships.

Points allotted: 40, 20 from each of the two judges. The scores of the two Effect captions are counted for full value. When the panel is doubled, the score of all four judges is divided in half.

Responsibilities: One of the GE judges has a music background and the other has a visual background, but each utilizes the same judging sheet because they are effectively judging the entire show, not just the effect of the music offering or the effect of the visual production. GE judges must be the most experienced, most knowledgeable, and most flexible members of the audience. Plus, they know how to manage numbers in order to give a proper score. The GE judges are doing the romantic job, they’re feeling what the show is offering and responding to what the show is. There are three parts to GE, the intellectual, the aesthetic, and the emotional.

The corp that best integrates music, visual, brass, percussion and guard in a coherent fashion that is engaging, designed and executed extremely well WINS!!! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Forevergreen said:

I found BAC to have that ending that I used to expect of Crown.   Iiked Crown much better this year than last. 2016 down to 2003 I loved.  Crowns ending thus year though seemed to transition not so smoothly from where their show ended earlier in the season this year.

Boston has Keith Potter, Leon May and Michael Townsend from Crown's 2008-2009ish to 2016 seasons. Those three guys know how to design fan-friendly shows so it's no surprise Boston is doing what they are doing. I personally love the risks Subel and company are taking with Crown the last two years and want them to keep doing that each year. It's just a matter of time before everything clicks.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, flammaster said:

Bluecoats really push the bar creatively while Crown relies on gimmickry in desperation to do anything to win coupled with an in your face smugness by their fans who had the nerve to come here and boo us when we beat them at our home show which is why I simply can not stand them.

Same could be said for Boston fans after the run in I had with them at a gas station after the 2017 NKY show, but that's neither here nor there. This comment is just way too #### funny. I can't even comprehend your thought process, but that's okay. Your opinion is your opinion, but smug definitely isn't a word I would use to describe us Crownies. Lmao.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2