The future is here

I can honestly tell you that I love all of these corps. I’m a total drum corps nerd. If anything I might say to this group comes off like me being a DB then I apologize, it isn’t intended.

Edited by MikeRapp
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, MikeRapp said:

Explain to me how Crown is “known for doing something completely different.” Show of hands from those here who agree with this. Yeah, I see no other hands.

What I am saying is, build around truth, not around execution ideas. When every single solitary Crown show has almost identical brass arrangement concepts, that’s all fine we’ll and good, NO ONE is better at those things than Crown and Klesch, NO ONE. Last year, when the tour came to Nashville, I could have taken my kids to watch any of the TOC heavyweights, but I chose to take them to watch Crown warm up.

But why not start with the idea and then arrange and build from the idea? Why does every single show have to have obligatory CC brass segments?

If you think Jagged Line is the exact same show as Down Side Up, then we really have nothing to talk about from here. And you need to brush up on your jazz knowledge.

People like to make these arguments over and over again and I don't understand why. All corps have a distinct identity that follows them each year. Minus some huge staff change, you can easily pick out who a corps is just by the show on the field. If you were to watch the top 6 corps in black and white (just trying to negate a color scheme really and make it as neutral as possible), I guarantee you could pick which corps did which show without having seen any of them before. That's not a bad thing. It is what makes each corps the corps they are.

Even with different source material and different thematic design, the Bluecoats and Crown of 2018 looked and sounded like the Bluecoats and Crown of 2017. Westman and company just like Subel and company will always have their own unique signatures that no one else has. It's got them all to where they are today.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, flammaster said:

Crown relies on gimmickry in desperation to do anything to win coupled with an in your face smugness by their fans who had the nerve to come here and boo us when we beat them at our home show which is why I simply can not stand them.

Anyone else miss the downvote button?

• Like 3

I've read it twice now but I still have zero idea what this thread is supposed to be about

Is it about the top few corps being far ahead of the others? That was literally the case back in the 70s and 80s also, just in different ways

Is it about something else?

And I don't really get the Crown bashing in this thread. Is that what this thread is about?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, queenanne_1536 said:

What? As in actually in attendance at the Bluecoats home show? Are you sure they weren't "bloooooing?" I took a friend a long time ago to a show and when the Bluecoats entered the field she was shocked at all the booing. I had to explain it to her.

I

This has probably already been said but the person who posted that is in Camp Blue Devils.  I guess he just figures everyone should know that when he posts.

1 hour ago, BoyWonder1911 said:

All I said is that they've done jazz for at least 3 years in a row. I'm not complaining about it, because I like it. But to say that Crown has been the same every year but not the Bluecoats, that is mind boggling.

The Bluecoats shows have been vastly different from 2014 to now. I also feel Crown's shows are vastly different each year. Are there things each corps does in a similar way from show to show? Sure.

BD is very good at this. The last half of their show this year had all kinds of similarities to 2017, but to me that's a good thing. You can't reinvent the wheel every year. You make some changes, carry over old ideas that worked and try them in new ways, and you innovate or explore when possible. 

Show me a corps that is trying to reinvent the wheel every year and I'll show a unit not placing so well. SCV will absolutely use some of their great ideas from this year in next summer's show. That's smart design. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, luv4corps said:

This has probably already been said but the person who posted that is in Camp Blue Devils.  I guess he just figures everyone should know that when he posts.

He's beyond Camp Blue Devils. More like Camp "take a shot at Crown every possible chance I get".

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, jwillis35 said:

The Bluecoats shows have been vastly different from 2014 to now. I also feel Crown's shows are vastly different each year. Are there things each corps does in a similar way from show to show? Sure.

BD is very good at this. The last half of their show this year had all kinds of similarities to 2017, but to me that's a good thing. You can't reinvent the wheel every year. You make some changes, carry over old ideas that worked and try them in new ways, and you innovate or explore when possible. 

Show me a corps that is trying to reinvent the wheel every year and I'll show a unit not placing so well. SCV will absolutely use some of their great ideas from this year in next summer's show. That's smart design. 

I think most people who have posted in here about corps who have a pattern or style do not view that as something that is inherently bad. When you have the same design staff, you tend to have similar ideas and things that work well scoring-wise pop up in each show. 

It's very easy, as a fan of a mentioned corps, to jump to the conclusion that these things are being said to bash the corps and go straight on defense. I myself have done it before, especially when the opinion is expressed in a way that makes it sound like a bad thing. 

• Like 2