The future is here

44 minutes ago, flammaster said:

Bluecoats really push the bar creatively while Crown relies on gimmickry in desperation to do anything to win coupled with an in your face smugness by their fans who had the nerve to come here and boo us when we beat them at our home show which is why I simply can not stand them.

Anger Management classes in a padded cell begin in 30 min.

One signed up (so far).

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, queenanne_1536 said:

What? As in actually in attendance at the Bluecoats home show? Are you sure they weren't "bloooooing?" I took a friend a long time ago to a show and when the Bluecoats entered the field she was shocked at all the booing. I had to explain it to her.

Wait. What?  "Bloo-ing"?

When did this start?

(/sarcasm)

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, queenanne_1536 said:

That's interesting. But could SCV pull of Session 44 and Bluecoats Babylon? I think so, from a excellence and comeptitive standpoint, but to me those shows are so Bluecoats and SCV it would be weird otherwise. I loved the idea of Beast for Crown. I just don't think it was very Beast. I did love the music though.

I think Bluecoats wouldn’t do Babylon because it’s not in their entertainment line of design thinking. Scv could definitely do Session 44 and it would probably be awesome.

Imagine Crown doing Session 44. I mean obviously they have the talent to do it, but I feel like they would insist on sticking their standard triple tonguing arrangements into the middle of the show, or stand out drum features, that would not make sense at all.

I would love to see blue Devils do session 44. They would kill it. But again, would they insist on over designing that show with all kinds of details that don’t fit the concept?

Edited by MikeRapp

4 minutes ago, queenanne_1536 said:

That's interesting. But could SCV pull of Session 44 and Bluecoats Babylon? I think so, from a excellence and comeptitive standpoint, but to me those shows are so Bluecoats and SCV it would be weird otherwise. I loved the idea of Beast for Crown. I just don't think it was very Beast. I did love the music though.

Phantom could pull off dreams and nighthawks. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Crown Phan said:

Phantom could pull off dreams and nighthawks. 

Phantom could pull off Babylon, too. In fact it’s interesting that you bring this up because I was thinking last night that this is the direction phantom could go in that would bridge where they have been.

Edited by MikeRapp

5 minutes ago, MikeRapp said:

Phantom could pull off Babylon, too. In fact it’s interesting that you bring this up because I was thinking last night that this is the direction phantom could go in that would bridge where they have been.

:spitting:

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, MikeRapp said:

Whenever I see Bluecoats and Crown, I think they are the new Madison and Regiment. If I had been away from the activity since the 90s and watched and someone told me Bluecoats were Madison and Regiment were Crown, I'd believe it. Of course, I'd also have to believe Madison went coed.

• Like 2

As far as Crown, the difference in style between last year's show and this year's is staggering. Even 2016. 

Completely different types of shows. Same with 2010 and 2011. They aren't afraid to do something completely different.

It seems Bluecoats are stuck in a rut as far as show style goes. Let's see what road these two groups go down next year. 

• Confused 3

8 minutes ago, BoyWonder1911 said:

As far as Crown, the difference in style between last year's show and this year's is staggering. Even 2016. 

Completely different types of shows. Same with 2010 and 2011. They aren't afraid to do something completely different.

It seems Bluecoats are stuck in a rut as far as show style goes. Let's see what road these two groups go down next year. 

Curious about what the rut is that Bluecoats is in. Of all the corps, they have been by far the most divergent from one season to the next, style wise. 

You could listen to Crown from one season to the next and copy and paste arrangement passages and not miss anything.

Every successful Creative venture has their way of approaching creative solutions. This is true in every idiom. Movie directors, script writers, ad agencies, software developers, illustrators. Bluecoats has a clear creative path, so does Blue Devils. To deny that Crown doesn’t go back to the same well over and over again is just confirmation bias. Even Klesch would be the first to say there is a way he approaches brass arrangements and styling that is unique to him in dci.

Edited by MikeRapp
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

36 minutes ago, queenanne_1536 said:

What? As in actually in attendance at the Bluecoats home show? Are you sure they weren't "bloooooing?" I took a friend a long time ago to a show and when the Bluecoats entered the field she was shocked at all the booing. I had to explain it to her.

USED to be a big Crown fan (2006-2015) - haven't really cared for them since. Gotta say I don't see a lot of smugness out of them. 

I also don't think they do gimmicky and desperate things. I don't agree at all with the vocals from last year or the entire show concept this year, but I think they are tyring new things from a design perspective. It doesn't work in my opinion, but I applaud the effort. I'm glad everyone is not the same. I liked them from a musical perspective this year, but I thought from top to bottom and left to right the entire visual design this year was a huge misfire. 

Hopefully, they bring me back next year.

I found BAC to have that ending that I used to expect of Crown.   Iiked Crown much better this year than last. 2016 down to 2003 I loved.  Crowns ending thus year though seemed to transition not so smoothly from where their show ended earlier in the season this year.