2017 BAC

This may have been discussed on here, but I wasn't here in 2017. I was thinking about Boston's dramatic rise from 2016 to 2017 with the aquisition of all that great staff. What I'm curious about is - were there many 2016 vets who didn't make it into the 2017 corps? I'm just curious to know how much effect that staff actually had for getting them to perform like that. Meaning, was the membership comprised of a lot of return 2016 vets, or did a flood of new people (following the staff) essentially kick out a lot of 2016 vets?

6 minutes ago, queenanne_1536 said:

This may have been discussed on here, but I wasn't here in 2017. I was thinking about Boston's dramatic rise from 2016 to 2017 with the aquisition of all that great staff. What I'm curious about is - were there many 2016 vets who didn't make it into the 2017 corps? I'm just curious to know how much effect that staff actually had for getting them to perform like that. Meaning, was the membership comprised of a lot of return 2016 vets, or did a flood of new people (following the staff) essentially kick out a lot of 2016 vets?

very few (less than 5) followed the staff from Cadets to Boston, but a large number of guard followed the guard team to Boston from Crown

Boston wisely recruited heavy and waited late into spring to lock in the last few brass spots, continue to recruit the best available talent

As far as vets in Boston - I didn't hear of much "kicking folks out" going on. But that does happen each year in a drum corps with members who, frankly, have worn out their welcome - but it wasn't some unusual large number thing

the talent in that 2016 Boston corps wasn't the issue - but then again, the members are rarely the issue. The "adults" tend to be 

• Like 6

How did Boston get the big influx of $$$ that enabled them to hire the best staff? A huge gift from a wealthy alum or friend of the corps, a new corporate sponsor, or some new amazing fund raising idea?

The BOD has around 40 members who are very supportive.  The corps has great support from local major companies.  Supposedly, their Concert in the Park in 17 brought in hundreds of thousands of dollars.  The corps has won about very corps challenge they've been involved with. This year, of all the challenges by corps, they earned the most, by a bunch, at $51+ thousand.  They've invest well and started Inspire Arts & Music.  There are many past members who are on the BOD who do a great job in fund raising and they are focused on the corps succeeding, but from my observation chari over the last five years, Mike Woodall is the one driving the financial acquisition bus.  

https://inspirearts.org/about-us/board-of-directors/

https://bostoncrusaders.org/sponsors/

Edited by Ghost

40 minutes ago, WarriorHal said:

How did Boston get the big influx of $$$ that enabled them to hire the best staff? A huge gift from a wealthy alum or friend of the corps, a new corporate sponsor, or some new amazing fund raising idea?

Long story short... its a combination of things. The internal Organizational improvements and enhancements, The start up of " Inspire Arts & Music " enterprise. The tap in by Mgt at Boston to the Corporate Donors in the Financial District in Boston to have them literally and physically come out and see what Inspire Arts & Music is doing for Youth... and make sure they match that gratitude they claim they have for worthy youthful causes with not just talk, but with donations. Also, a reconnection to Alums, Fans, and to Boston Crusaders Sr. Corps to let them know they are  Crusaders " family ", and are valued and treasured as such.  Boston currently has the single largest BOD now in all of DCI. Approx. 40 or so members at present. Its a very diverse group with a multitude of professional career and Drum Corps experiences, that Boston draws upon for ideas and planning purposes. Boston's current mgt ( several that once marched Boston in youth ) have Corporate Business experience at the highest levels of Fortune 500 Companies.  The Assistant Corps Director has Drum Corps as well as MB experience that Boston also draws upon in their 5 year, 10 year Planning. Boston is doing this through intelligent planning and financial donorship outreach  strategies across a wide spectrum of funding mechanisms. Its hard work. There are no " sugar daddies ", or single wealthy donors writing one or 2 big checks. Its proper planning coming to fruition as layed out a few years ago.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, WarriorHal said:

hard work and smart planning?

A Board of Directors that knows what they're doing and is committed to doing it.  Seriously, if I were directing or developing a non-profit org of any kind, I'd have them study BAC's board structure, function, and aims.  Heck I'd probably even reach out to BAC/Inspire to ask if they'd allow my board members (or a set of them) to visit and observe and interview. 

Wow … that is really impressive! An historic corps that struggled for quite a while, but hung tough and rebuilt through excellent management and extremely smart planning. And it sounds like they have taken great advantage of being based in Boston, a major city and finance hub.

3 hours ago, WarriorHal said:

I second what has been said here already.

I will add that the acquisition of Great East Music Festivals (https://greateastmusicfestivals.org/) that is currently now under even greater expansion added at least another million dollars in gross revenue for them.  Great East Music Festivals has provided high quality, scholastic festival performance opportunities to schools across New England, with an emphasis on quality adjudication and educational clinics.

They also purchased a theater building which also serves as the corporate offices for Inspire Arts & Music and Boston Crusaders. That location also is the physical location for the Great East Music Store (http://greateastmusicstore.com/) as well.

The last 5 years they have created an outreach into the financial district of Boston with corporate donations reaching about 500k for their concert in the park each year. This free concert to the public debuts the Boston Crusaders along with Hype Percussion, Blessed Sacrament Colorguard, and others.

Edited by Liahona
  • Like 1

Saw ads for the Great East Festival running on Flo through the latter part of the season!