Carolina Crown 2019

7 minutes ago, Newseditor44 said:

I foresee some big changes this off season. A few that might catch people off guard. 

2 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

agreed 

Just a mere crumb of intel?!??

Being the “more tenured” fuddy duddy I am :w00t: I would like to see Crown revisit Strauss and bring more of Arthur C Clarke’s 2001 to the field, but slightly modernized. Brazilian keyboardist Dedato’s amazing arrangement of ASZ on his 1972 LP “Prelude” that I have in my collection might serve as a jumping off point. (Note for younger readers: “LP” = “Long Play” Record; these were made of pressed vinyl with sound waves etched into them and played on electric (not hand-cranked) t-u-r-n-t-a-b-l-e-s in a clockwise-only direction at 33.33 RPM.) I think Crown could very effectively— and far more thoroughly— explore the story of humanity’s journey of discovery through Astronaut Bowman’s eyes. A major (Tom) highlight would be a huge percussion/front ensemble feature with whiz-bang visuals (Mandarins-esque electric weapons, silks with interwoven LEDs and the like) to illustrate Bowman’s trip though the kaleidoscopic “Tunnel of Light” that culminates in Bowman observing, then becoming, his own gut-wrenching deathbed scene, pointing to the monolith. I Imagine some form of imagery (inflatable, drone or otherwise) representing Bowman’s rebirth as the Starchild, rising toward the rafters of Lucas Oil Stadium while the audience comes apart at the seams, throwing giant sheets of wadded up paper with “IOU One Baby!!” written on them because any real babies within arm’s reach are already airborne...

AS...

The entire brass AND Color Guard AND select members of the front ensemble combine on brass for the classic ASZ closing anthem on the front sideline as only Crown can deliver it. I’m not talking about some ragtag group playing a concert B-flat on garage sale horns, but real multi instrumentalists and performers. Before I get shot down keep in mind finding performers of this magnitude isn’t all that far fetched; for example, at the SCV alumni viewing party I attended yesterday I met a mid-2000’s A-corps lead baritone age out who had killer music chops plus some majorly serious rifle/weapons skills. We’ve seen acrobats on mellophone (SCV), vocalist DMs (Pioneer), incredible dancing brass personnel (like the Phantom Regiment performer who was on brass one year then featured the next in the CG)...

The staff would pitch the story and music to the kids at camp, as usual. They would outline the goals of the show. Their last goal would be:

”...to empower you to have the performance of your lives...and lastly, to field the hands down, no-holds barred loudest, *fullest*, unplugged drum corps ever heard in the 45+ years of DCI, and throw in DCA as well.”  What a hook!

Edited by TRacer
Clarification
  • Like 2

I do not think that any of the staff is going anywhere. As long as Harloff is there, Klesch will be too, and vice versa. They are what made this corps great by creating a brass sound that nearly untouchable (minus this year with SCV being absolutely incredible across the board). The design team needs to sit down and thoroughly think out a concept and come up with props that can be utilized to the fullest. When it comes to drill, the design head tells Sacktig what he envisions for the show, so it is not all on Sacktig. I give the staff one more year to figure this thing out and then we might see some changes. "Beast" sounds like and was a show that screams Crown. The design team just did not fully flesh out the show to where it could have been very effective and probably medaled. IF there are any changes this summer, I do not see it being with the the brass staff or visual staff, but strictly design (primarily Subel as artistic coordinator who seems to have been the mastermind behind this show after watching the Flo Marching specials they did for Crown). Only time will tell, and we will not get a first glance until around the Dec/Jan camps as to what they look and sound like next year. Overall a great year by the members, especially that drumline. As always, Go Crown!

Crown 18 was all there musically. Great arrangements AND they fixed their percussion problem.

Yes they missed the Jim Ott but this is the strongest I have ever heard the top 4 in brass.  Really. 

The issue is obviously from a visual design perspective. I don't think they have a very strong visual identity so they can really pick any style as long as it matches the music and they perform it well.

I know a lot of posters here might be getting bored with it but I love when Crown plays technically complicated pieces. That's Crownbrass and it's mind-blowing and amazing.

I don't have any particular ideas other than being more competitive visually without compromising outstanding musicianship.

I would think that the 2017 design would have more of an effect on recruitment than missing a medal this year.

Edited by ThePlanets
  • Like 2

On ‎8‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 1:03 PM, Incognito365 said:

I honestly believe they need to start designing the shows around Klesch's arrangements instead of what seems the other way around. Music is what drives this corps. It's not about their story telling abilities, or the big props, or the theatricality of the shows. It's the music. That brass wall of sound, and now add the percussion to that. They are what is keeping this corps in the top 6. Write to the music. That, and I feel like they should head in a different direction in drill design. Nothing against Sacktig, as he's written some outstanding shows, but his style is a bit dated and doesn't suit Crown in the slightest. 

Also, can we go back to Puck One, fun, campy, weird Crown please? 

giphy.gif

On ‎8‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 1:18 PM, Corps_Efan said:

Don’t throw the baby out with the bath water. Crown always is within a breath of a medal - their shows are intensely creative and the music is always phenomenal. Execution is always excellent and the staff can make a silk purse out of a sows ear. 

Remember last years bronze show? Remember Inferno? Crown is always innovative!

By comparison, BDs shows are looking stale - same evening gown style arm covers, recycled pink dresses, same rhythm to the show, same dance moves...enough already! 

They may be looking "stale," but they still got a silver medal out of it so I would say the judges would disagree.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

16 hours ago, mfrontz47 said:

To be honest, I’m not worried about Crown. They had a show with severe design issues, and were still in my (and the judges) top 4. 

I'd like to see the designers be more disciplined in their choices.  They all knew:

• Part 2 did not really support the design concept.  It was a reach even after you heard the explanations.  If they had been more careful to make sure it worked,  the rest of the show worked well enough.  
  • Color palette (uniforms and flags) completely lacked contrast.  Sure they were amazing close up but they were a train wreck from the box.
  • Guard writing did not project to the box. There was not a single ensemble moment to showcase the guard.  Contrast that to the programs above them.  
  • Self-Referential designs always sound amazing but always seem to fall short.  Better to avoid them. 
  • Some of the music frankly had nothing to at all to do with the concept but was chosen because it exhibited brass virtuosity.  Virtuosity is wonderful but make sure it actually supports the concept.  

OTOH Beast contained one of the most profoundly amazing arrangements I've ever heard.  If I Fell was just mind-boggling well written and showed off Crown's  musicianship better than any crazy technical piece could hope to do.  Hats off Michael Klesch and Jim Ancona and to the members for bringing that to life.  

Edited by karuna
  • Like 5

The 2018 Crown members proved one thing. They and they alone could polish a turd. Crown was 4th because of their members. The entire creative staff from music design to visual design put a 10th place product on the field that the performers some how miraculously drug up to 4th place. My 2 cents.

• Like 6