Carolina Crown 2019

9 hours ago, Cappybara said:

I think the perception of "clutter" mainly comes from the fact that it was unclear to audiences much of the season what exactly the props were. Even now, I'm not entirely sure as there's been conflicting statements about it. 

I understand Michael Klesch made comments about them in his intro to Crown in the Tom Blair version shown in the movie theaters.

48 minutes ago, ShutUpAndPlayYerGuitar said:

can we please stop talking about ribs now? I'm starving.

I crave some crab claws now, that Crown. Always messing with my diet where do I get Claws in KC. Stop busting my bubble we have all the ribs one can want but claws?????

9 hours ago, MikeRapp said:

We ar all well aware of your opinions about this show, this concept, and this corps. 

If you removed all of the props from this show, I imagine it would have had no negative impact on scoring or GE. Mood? Come on. That’s just silliness.

Using props to create a setting/mood is not unusual.  In fact their use for that purpose far predates their use as gym equipment.  The fact that you think that is silly explains enough that there’s absolutely no point in taking this further. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, karuna said:

The fact that you think that is silly explains enough that there’s absolutely no point in taking this further. 

I wouldn't not call it silly. The Crown design required both sides of the brain, the entertainment side and the deep though side. OK mine is not that deep but I still go there one in a while. Claws have it hands down it matches the color scheme, claws could be shinny white, bones are more yellowish and ribs we eat.

It does not end with Crown. In the stands folks were asking why Bloos chairs were stacked up like that, what does Session 44 represent. I know of avid fans been to live shows this year watched FLO all year and finally put the Carpenters together with The Carpenters music on finals night. It lights a light bulb in ones head and a sign of a good design that not only entertains but makes one think even if it hurts.

ANYWAY

It will be interesting to see where Crown veers to next.  My comments were made with the wonderful aid of hindsight.  I want them to keep exploring new avenues but I also want them to make choices that make their intent more visually transparent.  Sure some of those choices may be conventional but they also happen to make sense on the sheets.  Showcase the musicians but not to the detriment of conceptual flow.  Make bold choices in color but remain conscious of the stage in which the performers appear.  Most of all keep being awesome!

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Bluzes said:

I wouldn't not call it silly. The Crown design required both sides of the brain, the entertainment side and the deep though side. OK mine is not that deep but I still go there one in a while. Claws have it hands down it matches the color scheme, claws could be shinny white, bones are more yellowish and ribs we eat.

It does not end with Crown. In the stands folks were asking why Bloos chairs were stacked up like that, what does Session 44 represent. I know of avid fans been to live shows this year watched FLO all year and finally put the Carpenters together with The Carpenters music on finals night. It lights a light bulb in ones head and a sign of a good design that not only entertains but makes one think even if it hurts.

All corps do this. My argument is that the props they used this year didn’t do that very well, and certainly people will disgreee.

1 hour ago, Bluzes said:

The carpenters reference is pretty fun and very inside baseball—great show design!

Just now, MikeRapp said:

All corps do this. My argument is that the props they used this year didn’t do that very well, and certainly people will disgreee.

I hear you but it did have an impact because we are still discussing in a fun way. It could be worse if they won then the "epic musical fail" thread would be about Crown. This site is a prime example that even like minded people don't always agree.

4 minutes ago, MikeRapp said:

The carpenters reference is pretty fun and very inside baseball—great show design!

What surprised me is the folks that sit in section 140 bought their tickets way in advance and paid a lot of money. That's not where I expected to hear such misunderstandings of the shows. At local shows yes, but buying a 3 day package for LOS we were at a loss that some still did not know what the shows were about.

• Like 1