Carolina Crown 2019

58 minutes ago, nsxanax said:

At the risk of losing what could one day be my future dentist, we’re going to have to part ways on Relentless’ finale.

I recall all the hub-bub over gun violence on the CC thread that season. Honestly, I was fine with sparing the villan’s life, though I wish that could have been incorporated without altering the music so much.

But let’s be honest: everybody else was simply contending for 2nd in 2016.

Like E=MC2 and Downside Up, I believe there would have been rioting in LOS had SCV not been awarded the Founders Trophy this year.

Agree most of this. Crown took a downturn for me when they changed the outcome of the ending.  So cheap. They have been great the next two years but never convinced me with the shows narrative since caving at the end of relentless. Hope they recapture that, don't care about placement. I think that's the key to unlocking more GE

4 hours ago, skevinp said:

I agree, but I think you should give the Bluecoats their chair back.

Trust, they can have it. Highlighter yellow doesn't match any of my decor.

• Haha 1

They "caved" because many of the members in 2016 had friends or knew people who lost their lives in the Pulse shooting. The staff AND the members decided that it was the right way to go. I didn't like the change, but I definitely respected it and still do to the point of not bashing them for it every time I get the chance. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, nsxanax said:

At the risk of losing what could one day be my future dentist, we’re going to have to part ways on Relentless’ finale.

I recall all the hub-bub over gun violence on the CC thread that season. Honestly, I was fine with sparing the villan’s life, though I wish that could have been incorporated without altering the music so much.

But let’s be honest: everybody else was simply contending for 2nd in 2016.

Like E=MC2 and Downside Up, I believe there would have been rioting in LOS had SCV not been awarded the Founders Trophy this year.

I think the message the show ended up sending made up for any annoyance with the changes made on the musical side for me. 

With the environment and events going on at the time, I found it to be a very tasteful and thoughtful change that brought the show to another level.

So even though the musical changes did take away a little momentum from the closer, it added a really nice layer to the show 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Cappybara said:

So even though the musical changes did take away a little momentum from the closer, it added a really nice layer to the show 

Sure, I understand your perspective. I think if they had that ending in mind from the beginning it would not be such an issue for me.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Bandoleer said:

Sure, I understand your perspective. I think if they had that ending in mind from the beginning it would not be such an issue for me.

So your issue is that the design staff and members of Crown 2016 were in tune with current events? I'm not understanding why it makes a difference whether it was planned from the start or not 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bandoleer said:

1 hour ago, Cappybara said:

So your issue is that the design staff and members of Crown 2016 were in tune with current events? I'm not understanding why it makes a difference whether it was planned from the start or not 

I believe the three of us are essentially on the same page here. My beef, first and foremost with the evolution of the finale, was the music. Period. What they started out with initially—again musically—flowed well to the climax and fine.

Irrespective of CC’s decision to excise the summary execution—and I hasten to add I believe that gun violence is an endemic social ill—the musical interlude that was added in order to renounce frontier “justice,” detracted from what [IMO] had been a very powerful closer.

...so to beat Helen’s horse [metaphorically SPCA’ers] one more time: loved Crown’s message of mercy, just wish the momentum of the music could have somehow been retained.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, skevinp said:

I agree, but I think you should give the Bluecoats their chair back.

They sold them after finals or gave them away. A young lady crowed into the elevator that night with a chair in tow (one of the small ones, just for some visual) just thrilled she had one.

12 minutes ago, nsxanax said:

I believe the three of us are essentially on the same page here. My beef, first and foremost with the evolution of the finale, was the music. Period. What they started out with initially—again musically—flowed well to the climax and fine.

Irrespective of CC’s decision to excise the summary execution—and I hasten to add I believe that gun violence is an endemic social ill—the musical interlude that was added in order to renounce frontier “justice,” detracted from what [IMO] had been a very powerful closer.

...so to beat Helen’s horse [metaphorically SPCA’ers] one more time: loved Crown’s message of mercy, just wish the momentum of the music could have somehow been retained.

Yes, if yours was musical, mine was narrative. I just have a tough time explaining the narrative discontinuity to people who watch. I am ok with the change itself just would like to have seen the development earlier.  Nobody aside from we who are in the know associates the narrative change with a stance against gun violence given the era portrayed.

8 minutes ago, Bluzes said:

They sold them after finals or gave them away. A young lady crowed into the elevator that night with a chair in tow (one of the small ones, just for some visual) just thrilled she had one.

Perhaps akin to NASCAR fans toting used tires, worn as steel belted necklaces, from racing events.

While no rug, I’m confident her chair “ties the room together,” far better than a burned out Goodyear...