Carolina Crown 2019

Crow has anime videos of their camps on the marchingmusiceducation website if you want to watch. It’s purely instruction and fundamentals but still very interesting. 

20 hours ago, wigwam said:

Wow it's quiet!  No news for almost a month??

Quiet for a good reason...I hope.

• Like 1

On 8/12/2018 at 1:18 PM, nsxanax said:

For the sake of conversation, let’s say ‘12, ‘13, ‘15, & ‘16–just the first few to come to mind; I’m sure they’re others—were high water marks.

What are the lessons/commonalities that can be drawn from those programs?

Also, are we witnessing a sea change/paradigm shift in “winning” designs?

Maybe Bloo ‘16 and SCV ‘18 are where we’re heading...

Loved all those Crown shows you mentioned above, but also very much enjoyed 2008, 09, 10, 11, and 14. 

When it comes to winning in DCI I honestly do not believe there is a formula. I think it boils down to great performance, great design that works, high impact in the right moments, and appropriate demand.  

I know there are trends in body movement, electronics, props, style of design and integration; but those things can both help and hurt. It all depends on how things are constructed. Some shows start with a good mix of ideas and performance and end up being cluttered and unreadable. I've seen well-constructed shows simply not meet the quality of performance to compete for a medal, and I've seen shows with poor construction reach top 3 based on outstanding performance. 

Two shows that come to mind are Crown 2017 and Cadets 2014. Both corps took 3rd at Finals, but both also suffered from poor design in the back-end of their shows. There were corps below them that likely had better overall design but perhaps did not have the performance caption scores.

In 2017 I personally thought Carolina had one of the cleaner and better performing units on the field. Some great drill design. Had they simply had better flow to their overall theme after the ballad I believe they could have passed SCV and gave BD a fight for 1st.  Ultimately I feel they had too much singing, poor choice of musical content in the last 2 songs, and a theme that didn't bring much high impact. 

Are the designs of the Bluecoats (from Tilt onward), SCV (17/18), and BD (2008 to now) the styles that are trending? Most certainly. Carolina has also played a big role in the modern concepts of show design with their body movement and story telling. Their 2013 - 2016 shows have certainly been part of the modern design movement.  I thought their 2016 show was exceptional in almost every way.

I feel as if Carolina can continue to be top 4, even win some titles, by utilizing their strength in brass and percussion. As others have said, their brass arranger has a fantastic idea of what their trademark identity can and should be. I don't see any reason why they can't build around that.  I think it's more important to keep a unique identity and style than to play copycat with the most recent flavor-of-the-month concept. 

• Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, jwillis35 said:

I feel as if Carolina can continue to be top 4, even win some titles, by utilizing their strength in brass and percussion.  

Brass has been their strength (guard has dropped a little recently) for several years, but percussion might need a few more years of high finishes to be considered one of their strengths.

On 3/8/2019 at 3:27 PM, Ghost said:

Brass has been their strength (guard has dropped a little recently) for several years, but percussion might need a few more years of high finishes to be considered one of their strengths.

If the only lines beating you are SCV and Blue Devils then I'd say you have a pretty strong percussion section. Cute profile pic by the way, who is the little guy :)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Brass Lover said:

Cute profile pic by the way, who is the little guy 🙂

Her name is Clover Michael.  She's an LA baby.  Three children and five granddaughters.  Not looking good for the family tree.

• Haha 2

Personally I'm just hoping Crown can make a rebound this year, they've been steadily declining since Inferno in terms of placement (although personally their 2016 show is my number 1 favorite). Get those visuals cleaner earlier, and get that guard back into the top 3, and they will be quite competitive 😁.