Carolina Crown 2019

On 3/10/2019 at 11:11 PM, ccklinefelter said:

Personally I'm just hoping Crown can make a rebound this year, they've been steadily declining since Inferno in terms of placement (although personally their 2016 show is my number 1 favorite). Get those visuals cleaner earlier, and get that guard back into the top 3, and they will be quite competitive 😁.

Cleaner earlier doesn't exactly lead to winning later. It could also lead to peaking earlier. 

As karuna said, I also believe the design team is finally gelling. Cant speak for the visual aspect much yet, but it seems things are finally coming together again for Crown.

12 minutes ago, Incognito365 said:

Cleaner earlier doesn't exactly lead to winning later. It could also lead to peaking earlier. 

As karuna said, I also believe the design team is finally gelling. Cant speak for the visual aspect much yet, but it seems things are finally coming together again for Crown.

They have two challenges to overcome:

1) Guard.  They've made some good moves here.   Erin and Lisa both know how to come out clean and get cleaner.  And instead of write by committee it's now Chris Cook's baby.  Others will still contribute but there's now clear leadership.  Design-wise I hope last year taught everyone a lesson:  don't let the music guys design the show 🙂 You need to have a strong, clear visual interpretation FIRST.  Cool music choices come second.  (God bless 'em! I wouldn't want to sit in a design meeting and tell Michael Klesch and Thom Hannum "no that music won't work" -- but Potter/Townsend were certainly able to do that and those guys need the reality check.)  

2) Visual.  Drill will be awesome as usual.  Choreography will be WAY improved with John E in charge.  The unknown factor is how well Kevin and his team will be able to teach strong technique and effectively clean feet and choreography.  

IMHO Crown does best when they come out of ST with their technique already clean and using the last week of ST to clean the show.  All the 1st and 2nd place years shared this characteristic.  

On 3/10/2019 at 8:11 PM, ccklinefelter said:

Personally I'm just hoping Crown can make a rebound this year, they've been steadily declining since Inferno in terms of placement (although personally their 2016 show is my number 1 favorite). Get those visuals cleaner earlier, and get that guard back into the top 3, and they will be quite competitive 😁.

My only concern here is the *supposed* reduction of vet retention.  Sure, new players can come in, play well, and breathe new energy into a corps,  but the vets and their leadership,  experience, tradition - their solidity - is what helps tie it together.  Typically corps with big movement have a year a of growth to get the ground back under their feet.  It will be interesting to see what happens in Crown this season!     

5 hours ago, DCIat14 said:

My only concern here is the *supposed* reduction of vet retention.  Sure, new players can come in, play well, and breathe new energy into a corps,  but the vets and their leadership,  experience, tradition - their solidity - is what helps tie it together.  Typically corps with big movement have a year a of growth to get the ground back under their feet.  It will be interesting to see what happens in Crown this season!     

Meh.  Every few years Crown has been very young.  A lot of people rook out there anyway.  Harloff and Company will handle the young ones just fine.  

• Like 4

17 hours ago, karuna said:

They have two challenges to overcome:

1) Guard.  They've made some good moves here.   Erin and Lisa both know how to come out clean and get cleaner.  And instead of write by committee it's now Chris Cook's baby.  Others will still contribute but there's now clear leadership.  Design-wise I hope last year taught everyone a lesson:  don't let the music guys design the show 🙂 You need to have a strong, clear visual interpretation FIRST.  Cool music choices come second.  (God bless 'em! I wouldn't want to sit in a design meeting and tell Michael Klesch and Thom Hannum "no that music won't work" -- but Potter/Townsend were certainly able to do that and those guys need the reality check.)  

2) Visual.  Drill will be awesome as usual.  Choreography will be WAY improved with John E in charge.  The unknown factor is how well Kevin and his team will be able to teach strong technique and effectively clean feet and choreography.  

IMHO Crown does best when they come out of ST with their technique already clean and using the last week of ST to clean the show.  All the 1st and 2nd place years shared this characteristic.  

My biggest issue over the last 2 years has been the meshing of the music design with visual design, and what seems to me to be a somewhat "outdated" drill package. Music and visual will find a way to mesh (and ehen it does...😍😍😍), but the drill writing seems to be too symphonic rather than progressive, if that makes sense. Sacktig knows his stuff, but it just seems to be dated., and regardless of the drill writer PLEASE bring back the traditional Crown set. My heart aches not seeing it on the field anymore. Yeah, there are new crown sets, but its just not the same. It may not "fit the theme" as some people have argued, but curvy lines and boxes don't always fit themes either. Lol.

• Thanks 1

Uniforms that don't make the drill look like a clusterf*#k will be helpful as well.  2017 worked great...2018 looked like they just finished mucking out the beasts cage.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Sideways said:

Uniforms that don't make the drill look like a clusterf*#k will be helpful as well.  2017 worked great...2018 looked like they just finished mucking out the beasts cage.

As someone who usually prefers older style uniforms, Crown's 2017 ones still might be my all time favorite. All the members look 6'2 in those I swear

On 3/12/2019 at 2:11 PM, DCIat14 said:

There may be a drop in average age and vet status, but Crown is so consistently top-notch in their music program.  If their brass program is A+, percussion is now an A (look at how far they've come in a few years).  Overall visual is probably an A-.  If the same forces that transformed Crown's percussion focus on the colorguard, Crown's a contender again.

• Like 1

On ‎3‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 3:52 AM, Incognito365 said:

My biggest issue over the last 2 years has been the meshing of the music design with visual design, and what seems to me to be a somewhat "outdated" drill package. Music and visual will find a way to mesh (and ehen it does...😍😍😍), but the drill writing seems to be too symphonic rather than progressive, if that makes sense. Sacktig knows his stuff, but it just seems to be dated., and regardless of the drill writer PLEASE bring back the traditional Crown set. My heart aches not seeing it on the field anymore. Yeah, there are new crown sets, but its just not the same. It may not "fit the theme" as some people have argued, but curvy lines and boxes don't always fit themes either. Lol.

So you want progressive (not symphonic - wjhatever symphonic drill is) but you also want the traditional crown set?  I've always thought of Crown as being progressive each year.  I like that about them.