Carolina Crown 2019

1 hour ago, Ediker said:

percussion is now an A (look at how far they've come in a few years).  

They've worked/recruited hard to improve, now like all sections with all top corps, they have to maintain/improve that level.

• Like 1

On 3/15/2019 at 3:22 PM, Ediker said:

There may be a drop in average age and vet status, but Crown is so consistently top-notch in their music program.  If their brass program is A+, percussion is now an A (look at how far they've come in a few years).  Overall visual is probably an A-.  If the same forces that transformed Crown's percussion focus on the colorguard, Crown's a contender again.

Honestly it's just a matter of the design team getting completely in sync with each other.   Chemistry takes a little time to mature. I agree with you about  the forces of transformation.  If Crown's "stumbling recovery" after losing their previous visual designers is a 3rd and 4th,  I'll take it and fully expect them to be contending for their 2nd championship soon enough.  Let's face it --- there were (and still are) a lot of posters predicting a dramatic fall after Potter/Townsend/May decided the grass really was GREENER.  But the core Crown values are very well entrenched;  the force is strong there. <darth voice>  Those who expect/hope/predict a fall from contention will be sadly mistaken. </darth>

Edited by karuna
  • Like 2

35 minutes ago, karuna said:

.  Let's face it --- there were (and still are) a lot of posters predicting a dramatic fall after Potter/Townsend/May decided the grass really was GREENER.  

" A dramatic fall "  ? ... predicted by " a lot of posters " ? Not really... not on DCP, anyway. The average predictions for Crown in 2017 and 2018 was in medal territory. We know this pretty much for certain, as the DCP prediction threads for 2017 and 2018 ( preseason ) are still up even now on DCP for verification of Crown's  overall placement prediction collective average by DCP'ers.. ...which as the cumulative average by DCP'ers tended ultimately to fall pretty much in line with their eventual finish for the most part each season of 2017, 2018 too.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Thanks 1

On 3/12/2019 at 1:57 PM, MPutnam said:

Hopefully weather cooperates with spring training!

Agreed! I don't think people have a clear understanding of how bad the weather has been here in the Carolinas the past two seasons. They lost about a week of field rehearsal last year due to bad weather. And this year isn't looking much better. 

• Sad 1

So, a quick update from brass camp:

Horns worked the opener this past weekend. I honestly don't know what the music is, but it has a very cinematic feel to it, almost like Bernard Herman and the old Hitchcock movies. As is expected, there are a lot of notes. Anyone thinking the horn line has lost a step will be sadly disappointed. I've been going to their camps now for ten years and this line is on par with some of the top lines of the past 6-7 years. There is a sense with this group that they have some unfinished business after last season, and the work ethic has improved. Each line has a unique identity, and you can see the vibe start to form in camps. Last season you kinda felt they were a little less mature, but this season they feel more focused. Let's see how things sound when they get to the April camp. 

• Like 9

On ‎3‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 7:37 PM, karuna said:

Meh.  Every few years Crown has been very young.  A lot of people rook out there anyway.  Harloff and Company will handle the young ones just fine.  

And yet, since 2015, they have seemingly gone further down in placement. Let's hope this year is a rebound because I miss the "old" Crown. 

On ‎3‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 8:52 PM, Roos_Wayne said:

As someone who usually prefers older style uniforms, Crown's 2017 ones still might be my all time favorite. All the members look 6'2 in those I swear

I really like the 2015, 2013 type uniforms. They were not as cluttered and confusing as their uniforms from last year and were relatively simple; much easier to read the drill with those types of uniforms. Either way, whatever they choose, I just hope they are back to their standards this year. 

• Like 3

On 3/15/2019 at 4:17 PM, LabMaster said:

So you want progressive (not symphonic - wjhatever symphonic drill is) but you also want the traditional crown set?  I've always thought of Crown as being progressive each year.  I like that about them.

Yes, I want progressive drill with a hint of traditional with the Crown set. A single set doesn't mean its not progressive. They're not as progressive as you would think, looking at the drill packages that surpassed them last year. Again, Sacktigs writing is very "symphonic" and I think its part of the reason their visual scores have suffered. Even if they marched as clean as they did in 2013/2016/2017, they still wouldn't have made it very far visually last year. The past two years have fallen flat drill wise in my opinion, and the visual design would have worked if the drill had conveyed what the design team was going for.

On 3/19/2019 at 4:17 PM, Incognito365 said:

The past two years have fallen flat drill wise in my opinion, and the visual design would have worked if the drill had conveyed what the design team was going for.

How would you have changed the 2018 drill to better convey the concept?  I had a similar feeling while watching them, but could never quite pinpoint what the drill needed.

1 hour ago, Ediker said:

How would you have changed the 2018 drill to better convey the concept?  I had a similar feeling while watching them, but could never quite pinpoint what the drill needed.

The drill was "pretty" and flowing. Honestly a more disgruntled, gritty, messy, and disconected drill package would have worked better. The most drill writing I've ever done is mess around on Micro Marching and the $40 program I bought from the App Store so I can't get down to specifics without sounding like an idiot, but to me the drill was too "symphonic" and too "pretty". I'm sure this makes absolutely zero sense though. Lol.

• Haha 1