Carolina Crown 2019

On 3/27/2019 at 12:33 AM, Incognito365 said:

Some of 2017 did actually work cohesively, which is more than I can say for 2018. Maybe Sacktig just doesn't do dark very well? Who knows, I just know I'm personally hoping for a better outcome this season. Otherwise I don't know how much longer I can continue to support this design staff.

2017 had a stronger, complexer,  concept and a clear direction that was well reflected in the visual design. 

2018's concept was also strong, but vague... and it was unclear where it was going.  I don't see it as a deficiency in Sacktig, but rather a breakdown in coordination between the audio/visual.  

20 hours ago, Ediker said:

2017 had a stronger, complexer,  concept and a clear direction that was well reflected in the visual design. 

2018's concept was also strong, but vague... and it was unclear where it was going.  I don't see it as a deficiency in Sacktig, but rather a breakdown in coordination between the audio/visual.  

In my view, the 2018 concept was not strong but rather confused, and yes, vague.   

2 hours ago, wigwam said:

In my view, the 2018 concept was not strong but rather confused, and yes, vague.   

Yeah, "confused" is a better way to describe the 2018 concept. 

While we, the audience, were somewhat getting "Beast", we were also wondering "Flintstones?" 

On 3/30/2019 at 12:43 PM, Ediker said:

Yeah, "confused" is a better way to describe the 2018 concept. 

While we, the audience, were somewhat getting "Beast", we were also wondering "Flintstones?" 

If you slog through this  (flo sub required) it becomes real apparent (to me at least) that Hannum/Klesch fell in love with their clever ideas and left Subel with music that didn't represent his initial concept in any visually realizable way.  

Additionally, "META" shows (ie a drum corps shows about drum corps) almost always sound like wonderful ideas in the design room (where everyone is really pleased with how clever it all is) but fall flat on their face when put on the field/floor.  Beast's final idea was that "Crown is the beast";  that's really hard to pull off.  Better if they had been a bit more literal with the concept and stayed with a more concrete idea.  Oh well ... live and learn.

2019 (so far at least) sounds WAY more coherent and contains far more "visual relatability".

Edited by karuna
  • Like 3

On 3/29/2019 at 1:42 PM, Ediker said:

Agree.  2017 worked well as a whole (but suffered from performance/design issues in the guard caption and struggled to blend the voice with the rest of the ensemble at times).

2018 never quite worked as intended.  

Edited by karuna
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, LabMaster said:

Bump

If ya really want to bump something follow the lead of karuna and post thoughtful, meaningful, and related comments; otherwise let the humorous threads work themselves out. This is DCP; a community sandbox in which to play.

• Confused 1

On 3/29/2019 at 1:42 PM, Ediker said:

Thats your opinion, and my opinion is that Sacktigs writing doesn't reflect what Crown has been trying to do for the past 2 years. As I said before, I'm giving it one more year. If it's not any better this year I'm not sure I can continue to support a team who can't work together and recognize their flaws. 

Edited by Incognito365
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, Incognito365 said:

Thats your opinion, and my opinion is that Sacktigs writing doesn't reflect what Crown has been trying to do for the past 2 years. As I said before, I'm giving it one more year. If it's not any better this year I'm not sure I can continue to support a team who can't work together and recognize their flaws. 

You certainly can choose who to support and who not to support,  but that doesn't make your supposition (ie a team who can't work together and recognize their flaws) have any basis in reality.  In fact they've clearly shown a strong ability to work together because they came together in midst of the previous visual staff's departure and the corps medaled.  I think I'll have a bit more patience than you -- even if they don't win in 2019 🙂 OTOH it they do... :ninja:

Edited by karuna

22 hours ago, karuna said:

You certainly can choose who to support and who not to support,  but that doesn't make your supposition (ie a team who can't work together and recognize their flaws) have any basis in reality.  In fact they've clearly shown a strong ability to work together because they came together in midst of the previous visual staff's departure and the corps medaled.  I think I'll have a bit more patience than you -- even if they don't win in 2019 🙂 OTOH it they do... :ninja:

I'm not saying they have to win in order for me to keep supporting organization. Yes, 2017 medaled. I also didn't believe that there was a corps that was going to take that away from them. If last year is any inclination, Crown is a bit rocky (no pun intended). This year will be telling on how this design team is going to work together from here on out. Third times charm, right? This corps could medal or win with the talent they have, but it's going to come down on the design teams shoulders on how they do. I hope for the best, as Crown is and has been my favorite since 2006, but I'm not going to sugarcoat things to make myself feel better about this season either.