Carolina Crown 2019

On 3/23/2019 at 6:50 PM, karuna said:

If you listened to the Klesch/Hannum discussion about Beast (i think this was on the marching arts education site) ,  the design is pretty sophisticated musically but left the visual designers struggling to interpret it.  IMHO the problem with Beast started and ended with this disconnect -- the visual guys didn't have much to work with and clearly struggled to bring the show to life.  Hopefully they've learned their lesson :fight: The visual guys need lead the design process because if they don't have a clear vision,  the production is just not going to work.  

1) I have no way of knowing if this was the case, but if so then you need new visual guys if they couldn't interpret the music for "Beast" in order to design the show. I personally think they got a lot of things right with that show. Just came up short in a few GE and Visual areas. 

2) JMO, but Crown is a music-first corps. Show design should begin with music and flow from there. If other corps do it differently, fine. That doesn't mean Crown should. Do your thing.  Be unique.  Crown has a fantastic music program with an arranger that calls for a certain style of visual/GE design. Work from the music outward to achieve the best results. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, jwillis35 said:

1) I have no way of knowing if this was the case, but if so then you need new visual guys if they couldn't interpret the music for "Beast" in order to design the show. I personally think they got a lot of things right with that show. Just came up short in a few GE and Visual areas. 

2) JMO, but Crown is a music-first corps. Show design should begin with music and flow from there. If other corps do it differently, fine. That doesn't mean Crown should. Do your thing.  Be unique.  Crown has a fantastic music program with an arranger that calls for a certain style of visual/GE design. Work from the music outward to achieve the best results. 

Not all music lends itself to a successful visual effort (even it's brilliant in a concert hall).   

• Like 2

On 4/10/2019 at 7:27 PM, karuna said:

Well I heard a little chirp about Crown playing another Morricone piece this year.  But as a ballad?

Hmmm......I can think of one that's been used a lot in WGI (but not so much in DCI).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxIudIx3rpw

Woulda rather hear their take on Morricone’s Cinema Paradiso.  But, I’m just daydreaming.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/10/2019 at 7:27 PM, karuna said:

Well I heard a little chirp about Crown playing another Morricone piece this year.  But as a ballad?

Hmmm......I can think of one that's been used a lot in WGI (but not so much in DCI).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxIudIx3rpw

I hope they use the version by the Piano Guys that mixes the original with the hymn How Great Thou Art. It helps that this was also Wando HS's ballad in 2016.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jNoiY9teGgQ

• Like 2

On 4/22/2019 at 1:07 PM, Tommeee said:

Woulda rather hear their take on Morricone’s Cinema Paradiso.  But, I’m just daydreaming.

On 4/22/2019 at 6:49 PM, Brian Tuma said:

Yes! Imagine a corps being able to capture the emotion of that film. 

Not sure how I missed the film and the soundtrack.   This deplorable circumstance now remedied,  I agree wholeheartedly.  

This could be a real emotional blockbuster if you could find a way to translate the story to the field. 

• Like 2

On 4/22/2019 at 1:07 PM, Tommeee said:

On 4/22/2019 at 6:49 PM, Brian Tuma said:

Yes! Imagine a corps being able to capture the emotion of that film. 

Fort Mill Marching Band used it as their ballad back in 2017. A search on the web will lead you to their Semis performance at BOA GN, featuring a violinist. 

• Thanks 1