Carolina Crown 2019

9 minutes ago, B-Flat said:

For those of us who do not know, who is the gentleman and what is his expertise?

Also, please provide more commentary about improvements in the guard if you can?  Over the last two years, the guard has been the weakest section of the corps.

Thank You,

That pic would be Mr. Marc Sylvester aka Sully.

As for the guard (IMO only) they finally have the right staff in place.   It's many of the same people from the past few years (some new faces as well),  just some different faces in different roles.  The talent level the past two years has been more than capable but (again IMO) the writing was not as effective as it could be.  

Edited by karuna
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, B-Flat said:

For those of us who do not know, who is the gentleman and what is his expertise?

Also, please provide more commentary about improvements in the guard if you can?  Over the last two years, the guard has been the weakest section of the corps.

Thank You,

Is that Marc Sylvestor?  Cadets drill writer/program coordinator on and off from 89-2006?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, karuna said:

That pic would be Mr. Marc Sylvester aka Sully.

As for the guard (IMO only) they finally have the right staff in place.   It's many of the same people from the past few years (some new faces as well),  just some different faces in different roles.  The talent level the past two years has been more than capable but (again IMO) the writing was not as effective as it could be.  

K, you need not qualify your observations & commentary with IMO’s.

At least in CrownLAND, your bonafides and street cred are held in high regard.

Good to hedge your bet, I suppose, when commenting on an activity that is rife with subjectivity, but I for one find your analysis something I can generally take to the bank🏦.

33 minutes ago, nsxanax said:

K, you need not qualify your observations & commentary with IMO’s.

At least in CrownLAND, your bonafides and street cred are held in high regard.

Good to hedge your bet, I suppose, when commenting on an activity that is rife with subjectivity, but I for one find your analysis something I can generally take to the bank🏦.

The 'IMO's are mostly because it's the beginning of June 🙂  But I will say this -- I am really liking what I see so far.    And I'll leave it at that.

• Like 1

On 5/31/2019 at 6:30 PM, Triple Forte said:

Nice and thanks for the info if you had to compare this to another show be it a crown show or other corps show what would you say this one sounds like? 

It's hard to compare, but it sort of reminds me of last years SCV show.  Lots of energy and power and fast paced.  But I only saw the first part of the show.

The music was not something I recognized, but it was cool and very powerful.  I liked it immediately.   

As others have said, they really seem a lot further along than in past years, good thing, because the difficulty factor is very high.  I hope they haven't bitten off more than can be chewed.  

Thunderstorms forecast for next week during the afternoons, lets hope it doesn't affect their progress.  I plan on going back for another look and will report.   

• Like 6

3 hours ago, karuna said:

Wow Crown is NOT following the trend of standing around on props.  They are running their butts off this year.  I LOVE it. 

I've only seen the opener a week ago and there were no props, so I'm interested in seeing what they've added!

14 hours ago, wigwam said:

It's hard to compare, but it sort of reminds me of last years SCV show.  Lots of energy and power and fast paced.  But I only saw the first part of the show.

The music was not something I recognized, but it was cool and very powerful.  I liked it immediately.   

As others have said, they really seem a lot further along than in past years, good thing, because the difficulty factor is very high.  I hope they haven't bitten off more than can be chewed.  

Thunderstorms forecast for next week during the afternoons, lets hope it doesn't affect their progress.  I plan on going back for another look and will report.   

Cool thanks for posting 

41 minutes ago, MPutnam said:

There are props...

There are props yes.  Didn't say there weren't. 

But the corps is in motion even when there are a handful of performers on a prop.   It's refreshing.   

Oh. 

And Jeff Sacktig is a master craftsman.  

• Like 1