Carolina Crown 2019

54 minutes ago, Tommeee said:

Anti-Cadets?  I don’t think that’s the case at all.  As a matter of fact, I think the former Cadet people now at Crown still have a respect and soft spot for their alma mater.  Heck, Travis Peterman even wears Cadets t-shirts during practices.  

which is amazing given how the former director treated him

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

which is amazing given how the former director treated him

For the love of the corps, not the director.

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Tommeee said:

Anti-Cadets?  I don’t think that’s the case at all.  As a matter of fact, I think the former Cadet people now at Crown still have a respect and soft spot for their alma mater.  Heck, Travis Peterman even wears Cadets t-shirts during practices.  

Yeah anti as in opposite — not anti as in against.  I thought I made it clear but if not:  I don’t mean they’re cadets haters.  Far from it!   They’re just the opposite in terms style and military bearing.   Like anti matter vs matter. 

Of course over the years much of what was unique to Crown has spread to other corps and the difference is not nearly so dramatic.   But Crown was called out hard for a long time for their dance,  their relaxed culture,  and their lack of military bearing.  And let’s not even bring up parades. 

Edited by karuna
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, karuna said:

Of course over the years much of what was unique to Crown has spread to other corps and the difference is not nearly so dramatic.   But Crown was called out hard for a long time for their dance,  their relaxed culture,  and their lack of military bearing.  And let’s not even bring up parades. 

Imho, Crown’s style came from the staff/leadership’s deep experience and appreciation for the activity. Crown filled and expanded the vacuums left by Star, Magic, Glassmen, and even VK. What makes Crown unique is the expert combination of these influences into something very refined.  

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, FTNK said:

Is too much run and gun going to cost them?

Most of this commentary is reacting to less than half the show.  Even in this portion of the show there is plenty of non-traditional movement.  It’s just that while it’s going on there still drill going on elsewhere.  It’s an awesome combo.  I’m not worried.  

11 hours ago, karuna said:

Anywho...

These are the days, my friends. 
These are the days.

Or, as was said in the Victory Run ... "AND THIS IS THE DAY!"

11 hours ago, Incognito365 said:

ImPoSiBlE yOu SaY?!

The way Kevin delivered that line during the Victory Run is still my favorite version because of the obvious subtext in his delivery calling out anyone who thought it was impossible for Crown to win.  LOVED that moment!

11 hours ago, George Dixon said:

I thought it was very very well done - but I refuse to admit it made me weepy!

My ONLY issue with Crown 2013 was the percussion aspect, I just wish they had a stronger drum caption for that show

Sorry for the double post, but I saw this after I made the previous post.

in my opinion, Crown had a VERY strong percussion section that season.  In fact, if I remember correctly, they were top 3 one night, top 4 another, and top 6 the last.  I think it was 4, 3, 6 ... but I can't remember now.  So, I think that shows they had a really great drum caption that year.  If that 6th place was on Finals, they either had a bad run (not likely), or the judge tanked them (much more likely, as we saw this from judges a lot more just a few years ago than we do now).  Just my opinion about 15 minutes after waking up.  lol

19 minutes ago, KakkoiiOtaku said:

Sorry for the double post, but I saw this after I made the previous post.

in my opinion, Crown had a VERY strong percussion section that season.  In fact, if I remember correctly, they were top 3 one night, top 4 another, and top 6 the last.  I think it was 4, 3, 6 ... but I can't remember now.  So, I think that shows they had a really great drum caption that year.  If that 6th place was on Finals, they either had a bad run (not likely), or the judge tanked them (much more likely, as we saw this from judges a lot more just a few years ago than we do now).  Just my opinion about 15 minutes after waking up.  lol

If you compare Crown percussion and Cadets percussion in 2013, the difference is VERY STARK.  Both in demand and achievement.  And I’m not referring to the judges scores, either.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, karuna said:

Most of this commentary is reacting to less than half the show.  Even in this portion of the show there is plenty of non-traditional movement.  It’s just that while it’s going on there still drill going on elsewhere.  It’s an awesome combo.  I’m not worried.  

Indeed, was mostly commenting on how judging seems to reward fast drill less and less. I'm not a Crown homer but the show sounds very promising to say the least

giphy.gif

[Crown "Relentless" showwear]